Duante to the Jets?

Fin Fan In Cali

http://www.benmaller.com/nfl_rumors_notes

Miami Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper is in NFL limbo. He's still under contract, but the Dolphins have locked him out of their practice facilities. Culpepper is protesting the team's actions, an arbitration hearing is scheduled for June 29, and he is expected to win his grievance and become an unrestricted free agent. When that happens, the Jets should offer him a contract. ... With Culpepper as Chad Pennington's backup, the Jets wouldn't have to worry that they were one Pennington shoulder injury away from having their season implode before their eyes. Culpepper isn't the star he was a couple of years ago, but he's a capable enough quarterback that he could take over the team if Pennington got hurt.

http://www.benmaller.com/nfl_rumors_notes

Miami Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper is in NFL limbo. He's still under contract, but the Dolphins have locked him out of their practice facilities. Culpepper is protesting the team's actions, an arbitration hearing is scheduled for June 29, and he is expected to win his grievance and become an unrestricted free agent. When that happens, the Jets should offer him a contract. ... With Culpepper as Chad Pennington's backup, the Jets wouldn't have to worry that they were one Pennington shoulder injury away from having their season implode before their eyes. Culpepper isn't the star he was a couple of years ago, but he's a capable enough quarterback that he could take over the team if Pennington got hurt.

You're just saying that because the Jets playing Culpepper at QB would give the Dolphins an actual chance at beating the Jets.

The Jets drafted Kellen Clemens for a reason. They will not sign, trade for or draft any big name Quarterback.

I completely agree. Why would we trade or pick up such a big name QB. The Jets must believe KC can get it done. He has to beat out Tuiasosopo for the 2nd string job, if he can't we have real problems.

culpepper > tuisadoodoo. if he can be had for no compensation, why not? hypocritical pats fans will lamblast us for signing Charlie Love Boat but after their turd filled off season who cares?

It's not that easy bud, I could gaurantee you that Tuisadoodoo doesn't mind being the 3rd string QB for us, if Culpepper was here, that's another story. He'll start problems and fuss over nothing.

If Pennyboy gets hurt....Kellen goes in. If Kellen gets hurt and we have a season like a few years ago, we'll bring in Jeff George or some guy that will take the spot away from Tuiososopo....anyone..... No way I would ever want to see that guy play.

If it were up to me, we'd bring in Jeff George to start right now. Haha. Maybe Jim McMahon isn't busy these days.

If it were up to me, we'd bring in Jeff George to start right now. Haha. Maybe Jim McMahon isn't busy these days.

Jeff George can still sling it.;-) And sorry, no thanks on McMahon. He doesn't have Walter Payton behind him. We don't have the team for a Ben Roethlisberger type QB.

It's not that easy bud, I could gaurantee you that Tuisadoodoo doesn't mind being the 3rd string QB for us, if Culpepper was here, that's another story. He'll start problems and fuss over nothing.

After seeing him play in Miami I'm not so sure he is better then Tui.

I agree with you that he would cause a lot of trouble as the #3.

Pass

Jets Should Pursue Culpepper as a Backup

Football

By MICHAEL DAVID SMITH

June 18, 2007

Miami Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper is in NFL limbo. He's still under contract, but the Dolphins have locked him out of their practice facilities. Culpepper is protesting the team's actions, an arbitration hearing is scheduled for June 29, and he is expected to win his grievance and become an unrestricted free agent.

When that happens, the Jets should offer him a contract.

Chad Pennington will, unquestionably, be the Jets' starter when training camp opens in late July, and he should be: He had a careerhigh 3,352 passing yards in 2006, led the team to an unexpected playoff berth, and stayed healthy for 16 games, winning the league's Comeback Player of the Year award in the process.

But Pennington's injury history makes it unrealistic for anyone to be certain he'll start 16 games again. Pennington has had multiple surgeries on his throwing shoulder, and that ailing shoulder caused him to miss 16 of the Jets' 32 games in 2004 and 2005. The Jets are good enough to return to the playoffs this year, and they shouldn't head into the season needing the untested backups Kellen Clemens and Marques Tuiasosopo to take over if Pennington injures his shoulder again.

With Culpepper as Pennington's backup, the Jets wouldn't have to worry that they were one Pennington shoulder injury away from having their season implode before their eyes. Culpepper isn't the star he was a couple of years ago, but he's a capable enough quarterback that he could take over the team if Pennington got hurt.

And even though Culpepper is a three-time Pro Bowler, the Jets would be able to sign him without breaking the bank. Culpepper, who doesn't have an agent, has indicated in his public comments since the Dolphins sealed his fate by acquiring quarterback Trent Green that he's looking more for the best fit than for the best contract.The right fit is exactly what Culpepper needs. As recently as 2004, he was one of the league's elite quarterbacks, leading the league with 4,717 passing yards for the Minnesota Vikings, adding 406 yards rushing and throwing for 39 touchdowns with just 11 interceptions. Had it not been for Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning setting a new NFL record for touchdown passes, Culpepper would have been the league MVP that year.

But everything has gone wrong for Culpepper since then, and no one thinks the 2004 version of Culpepper is likely to reappear. His 2005 season got off to a rocky start, and just when he appeared to be turning things around, he suffered a serious knee injury and was lost for the season. Minnesota traded him to Miami in 2006, and he again struggled on the field before an injury shortened his season. At this point, there's not a single NFL team that would hand a starting job to Culpepper.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are generally regarded as the favorites to acquire Culpepper once he becomes a free agent, in large part because Culpepper's coach in Minnesota, Mike Tice, is now the Jaguars' assistant head coach. But Culpepper's primary goal should be going to a team where he'll have a chance of getting on the field, and the Jaguars aren't the right team. Although the Jaguars' starting quarterback, Byron Leftwich, has some of the same durability issues as Pennington, Culpepper might have trouble beating out David Garrard, who started 10 games in Leftwich's place last year, for the backup job in Jacksonville. Culpepper would be foolish to sign anywhere that he might be relegated to third string.

With the Jets, Culpepper would be the backup, Clemens would be the third quarterback, and Tuiasosopo probably wouldn't make the roster. Culpepper would give the Jets the best second-string quarterback they have had in years. Culpepper is significantly better than the backups the Jets had from 2003 to 2005, when Pennington entered each season as the starter but missed playing time all three years. In those years, the Jets' backups were a 40-something Vinny Testaverde, Quincy Carter, Jay Fiedler, and Brooks Bollinger. No matter how much Culpepper has declined from his Pro Bowl 2004 season, he's a better option than any of them were.

And it's possible that Culpepper hasn't declined as much as most league observers think. He was great in 2004 — only two NFL teams, the Colts and the New England Patriots, could have been as confident in their quarterback as the Vikings were — and not all the problems in Minnesota and Miami the last two years were his fault. Both teams had problems on the offensive line and weak running games, putting Culpepper in a position in which he thought he had to do everything himself.

On the Jets, Culpepper would be asked to do what Pennington did so well last year: Manage the game and avoid mistakes. It's easy to envision Culpepper playing like Pennington because both quarterbacks are 30 years old and have reached the point in their careers when they understand that quarterback play is at least as much mental as it is physical.

For the Jets, the best-case scenario is that Pennington is as healthy in 2007 as he was in 2006. If that doesn't happen, Culpepper would be a perfect Plan B.

Mr. Smith is a writer for FootballOutsiders.com

all one can say is WOW!!???

I really hope you guys saw the mild humor in the Jeff George comment. He was only mentioned since he was rumored to possibly come out of retirement last year and play for the Vikings. It was in no way a reflection on his quality as a quarterback today.

He does have quite the arm though.

(That is not an attack on chad, nor a reason to start a, "Is Jeff George better than Chad Pennington" thread.)

Devil's Advocate opinion here:

Offer Culpepper to a 1-year, incentive-laden deal without giving up too much up-front money. He becomes Pennington's top backup if Pennington gets hurt, with Clemens still being our future (and at the same time keeping Clemens from being thrust into the fire too early if Pennington indeed does get hurt).

If Culpepper declines OR ends up a headcase, say "f it" and move on. Lord knows we have some cap room to play with.

Devil's Advocate opinion here:

Offer Culpepper to a 1-year, incentive-laden deal without giving up too much up-front money. He becomes Pennington's top backup if Pennington gets hurt, with Clemens still being our future (and at the same time keeping Clemens from being thrust into the fire too early if Pennington indeed does get hurt).

If Culpepper declines OR ends up a headcase, say "f it" and move on. Lord knows we have some cap room to play with.

I think the Jets like what they see in Tui...he is mobile and has in-game experience..Duante just can't move anymore

To me bringing in a Culpepper would signal that the Jets have no faith in Clemens.

If Clemens is all he is being cracked up to be then he should be ready this year to step in should Chad either not perform or get hurt.

Bringing in Culpepper or any kind of veteran backup would no nothing but hurt Clemens progress if they truely believe that he is the future of this franchise.

I think the Jets like what they see in Tui...he is mobile and has in-game experience..Duante just can't move anymore

I don't factor Tuiasosopo into this conversation at all. If we end up seeing Tui on the field next season, we're in big trouble, and I don't think Mangini would hesitate at THAT point to bring someone else into the fold.

I say, be proactive. Culpepper can improve this team, even if he begins the season as a backup. After all, many teams would have to prepare for him knowing that Pennington could get hurt or be on a shorter leash than some starters in the NFL.

To me bringing in a Culpepper would signal that the Jets have no faith in Clemens.

If Clemens is all he is being cracked up to be then he should be ready this year to step in should Chad either not perform or get hurt.

Bringing in Culpepper or any kind of veteran backup would no nothing but hurt Clemens progress if they truely believe that he is the future of this franchise.

Not if it is just a 1-year deal/insurance policy. That would serve more to show that the Jets have little faith in Chad Pennington and his ability to stay on the field.

The Jets already showed Kellen Clemens they have faith in him by using their 2nd round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to choose him.

I could see where the Jets getting Culpepper makes sense. Even the biggest Pennington fan has to admit he is injury prone. Also you could structure the deal as a win/win for both sides and I'd have to believe you would be getting a very motivated player. It actually makes a ton of sense for a lot of reasons.

Not if it is just a 1-year deal/insurance policy. That would serve more to show that the Jets have little faith in Chad Pennington and his ability to stay on the field.

The Jets already showed Kellen Clemens they have faith in him by using their 2nd round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to choose him.

This coaching staff/regime is about winning games and not showing faith in second round draft picks. The Jets will use whatever means necessary to create competition and win games.

If Chad got hurt don't you think it would be better to see what Clemens has then going to a veteran guy ?

If I thought the Jets were a Super Bowl contender this year then I could see taking a flyer on a veteran backup. I still think this team is a year away from being that. If Chad gets hurt then I would turn the team over to Clemens and see what he does. He may be good, he may struggle. What I would want to see (even if it meant going 7-9) is how Clemens progresses week to week and see how his teammates respond to him.

I think it basically comes down to whether or not you think the Jets can be a serious Super Bowl contender.

Just bringing you the news bro. I think that Dolphins vs Jets match up's this year will be better then last year.

Yes. Miami might actually be able to complete a pass.

There defense is still geting older and they did nothing to improve that horrifice secondary and still no 1B guy to run behind Ronnie Brown, because, once again, Ronnie Brown isn't carrying the load anytime soon. The guy is a 15 carry a game max running back, Miami needs to realize this and get him the 2 part to the 1-2 punch he needs to succeed, see him at Auburn with the Caddy.

Miami's heading for 6-10 again.

Yes. Miami might actually be able to complete a pass.

There defense is still geting older and they did nothing to improve that horrifice secondary and still no 1B guy to run behind Ronnie Brown, because, once again, Ronnie Brown isn't carrying the load anytime soon. The guy is a 15 carry a game max running back, Miami needs to realize this and get him the 2 part to the 1-2 punch he needs to succeed, see him at Auburn with the Caddy.

Miami's heading for 6-10 again.

Booker in camp has looked good, and is fast. I feel better with the offense now that Cam is there rather then Nick in charge. I think the pressure that the defense will bring this year will make it easier for the secondary. There will be an influx of youth in the D-line this year. Porter, and Taylor will have to be accounted for. Dom Capers is calling the shots on D with out Nick getting in there.

I like the confidence, hopefully the Jets look past us as well. Rodrique Wright, Paul Soliai, Fred Evans, and Matt Roth will see a lot of time rotating in on the D-line.

I doubt Mangini is as blind as I am... lol

If Pennyboy gets hurt....Kellen goes in. If Kellen gets hurt and we have a season like a few years ago, we'll bring in Jeff George or some guy that will take the spot away from Tuiososopo....anyone..... No way I would ever want to see that guy play.

Actually, it seems Tuisasopo is winning the offseason battle for the backup spot...

Archived