Yanks release Josh Phelps

Matt39

Yeah, Cashman. What the hell kind of cheap-ass crystal ball are you using that didn't see Mink and Giambi getting hurt?

Huh?

Giambi was never going to be the 1B. He was looked on as the DH and Mientkiewicz sucks. (As I said when they signed him)His Injury doesn't hurt the yankees at all and (as I said) he was a horrible signing.

Giambi was never going to be the 1B. He was looked on as the DH and Mientkiewicz sucks. (As I said when they signed him)His Injury doesn't hurt the yankees at all and (as I said) he was a horrible signing.

Weren't you going on and on about Phelps in spring training?

Well then that'd make you wrong. Interesting.

Uh NO. It would make me right. He's a much better player. His BA for those that care about that was 40 points higher. His OPS was 20 points higher. His OBP was 30 points higher. He's just clearly better and thanks to torre he got zero chance here.

The two guys that were at the head of the depth chart are hurt. They cut this kid and somehow Torre is to blame. Interesting.

Wrong. Giambi was never on the 1B depth chart this season. Phelps never got a chance to play even though he was CLEARLY better than the player playing. Thats Torre's fault.

Josh Phelps was a complete defensive liability. He was an absolute joke out there at first base. The Yankees have enough good hitters that they can afford to have a mediocre hitter with a fantastic glove shoring up the infield.

Mientkiewicz is a lifetime .268 hitter and a lifetime .355 on base guy. That's FINE for our purposes.

Josh Phelps is a lifetime... oh my! .268 hitter as well! And his lifetime OBP is .336. Put those stats in your pipe and smoke em. Phelps is not much better of a hitter and his glove is a complete joke. He is not even CLOSE to as good as Doug Mientkiewicz.

Same thing with Miguel Cairo. Give me the scrappy, heady, solid baseball player over the perennial disappointment who swings for the fences.

Josh Phelps was a complete defensive liability. He was an absolute joke out there at first base. The Yankees have enough good hitters that they can afford to have a mediocre hitter with a fantastic glove shoring up the infield.

Mientkiewicz is a lifetime .268 hitter and a lifetime .355 on base guy. That's FINE for our purposes.

Josh Phelps is a lifetime... oh my! .268 hitter as well! And his lifetime OBP is .336. Put those stats in your pipe and smoke em. Phelps is not much better of a hitter and his glove is a complete joke. He is not even CLOSE to as good as Doug Mientkiewicz.

Same thing with Miguel Cairo. Give me the scrappy, heady, solid baseball player over the perennial disappointment who swings for the fences.

So you would rather have Cairo at first than Phelps... That is one the most insane things i've ever read. Cario isn't a solid baseball player and when he plays first he's EASILY the worst first baseman in baseball. I'm glad thats the guy you want.

BTW Mientgarbage's career stats are skewed with a few good years he had with the twins at the start of his career. Since he left them in 2004 he's been MUCH worse than that.

A team can never have enough good hitters. Ever. You'd think someone who sat through May would understand that. There is never an excuse to punt roster spots.

Same crap. Phelps is a MUCH better player than Cairo.

No. He is not. Miguel Cairo can play every infield position and LF and RF, and play them all well. Cairo's lifetime BA is also the same as Phelps'.

Additionally, it takes a special type of player who can sit cold on the bench for days at a time and then just come in and turn it on. Cairo has that capability, Phelps does not.

No. He is not. Miguel Cairo can play every infield position and LF and RF, and play them all well. Cairo's lifetime BA is also the same as Phelps'.

Additionally, it takes a special type of player who can sit cold on the bench for days at a time and then just come in and turn it on. Cairo has that capability, Phelps does not.

Turn WHAT on? His mid 500's OPS? Are you kidding me? He HAS nothing to turn on.

BTW when you are resorting to comparing career BA's you know you have no argument.

Career OPS

Phelps: 802

Cairo: 674

And in the last 2 years cairo has been MUCH worse than his career number. But then again I said all this when Cashman resigned him for no reason...

YOu know how you know somone has no idea what they are talking about? When they start making rationalizations for punting roster spots by saying "We have enough hitting" or "you don't need an all star at every position" LOL. Punting roster spots is a big reason the yankees are 8 games out.

Mike- you're a smart guy and I definitely think you have a good baseball mind. You're just held hostage by statistics to the point you cant think rationally. Stats arent always the end all be all.

You honestly think its merely just a coincidence the Yankees turn this thing around when Giambi goes on the DL?

Billy Beane hypnotized you. And look how many rings he has.

You honestly think its merely just a coincidence the Yankees turn this thing around when Giambi goes on the DL?

The reasons the yankees have played better of late are simple. The pitching is healthy. Arod is hitting again. Abreu and Cano have started hitting and they are playing some really bad teams. It has NOTHING to do with Giambi. You don't replace a player with a worse player in a lineup and get better. The yankees were just a lot better than they had been playing.

Archived