Yanks release Josh Phelps

Matt39

Giambi wasn't even playing first base... He was DH'ing. And BTW there is NO WAY that a 1B like Cairo can play good enough D to make up for how horrible a hitter he is.

Cairo is not a long term guy, even for the season. But he's got a good glove and he's hitting very well since being put in as a starter; better than Phelps.

Oh and now Johnny Damons ribs are "shot". Just great. Melky is no leadoff hitter, maybe Abreu should bat leadoff, move Matsui to 3rd and Posada to 5th.

Cairo is not a long term guy, even for the season. But he's got a good glove and he's hitting very well since being put in as a starter; better than Phelps.

Oh and now Johnny Damons ribs are "shot". Just great. Melky is no leadoff hitter, maybe Abreu should bat leadoff, move Matsui to 3rd and Posada to 5th.

Cairo isn't an any term guy. He's completely useless.

Uh NO. It would make me right. He's a much better player. His BA for those that care about that was 40 points higher. His OPS was 20 points higher. His OBP was 30 points higher. He's just clearly better and thanks to his horrible defense he got zero chance here.

Corrected. ;) Why do you think that noted slugger, Miggy Cairo, was playing over Phelps?

Corrected. ;) Why do you think that noted slugger, Miggy Cairo, was playing over Phelps?

He's playing because torre is a terrible manager. Phelps D wasn't nearly bad enough for Cairo to play over him. Cairo COSTS the yankees runs every game he plays.

He's playing because torre is a terrible manager. Phelps D wasn't nearly bad enough for Cairo to play over him. Cairo COSTS the yankees runs every game he plays.

He almost got Jeter killed! Are you f'n kidding me? Phelps was an AWFUL 1st baseman. He was costing us runs, and really, he wasnt doing much with the bat either.

He almost got Jeter killed! Are you f'n kidding me? Phelps was an AWFUL 1st baseman. He was costing us runs, and really, he wasnt doing much with the bat either.
he never got a chance to do anything with the bat because he torre n ever played him. he kept starting the worst 1B in baseball instead of him. I'm not saying Phelps is great but he was MUCH better than the other options. Cashman COMPLETELY dropped the ball last offseason.

If you were watching the play of Phleps at 1B, you would have noticed that he can't handle throws in the dirt, and his footwork around the bag is "lacking", to be charitable.

Cairo can handle himself around the bag, quite well I might add.

If he isn't hitting, and isn't hitting for power, he really is not an asset at all to any team.

If you were watching the play of Phleps at 1B, you would have noticed that he can't handle throws in the dirt, and his footwork around the bag is "lacking", to be charitable.

Cairo can handle himself around the bag, quite well I might add.

If he isn't hitting, and isn't hitting for power, he really is not an asset at all to any team.

A few ugly plays don't change that Cairo is a negative value player who shouldn't be in the major leagues.

VORP???

LOL

Wtf is vorp?

BILLY BEANE HAS WON ZERO WORLD CHAMPIONSIPS. ZERO.

If Billy Beane were the GM of the yankees they wouldn't be 8 games out. You do realize that the A's have a better record than the yankees do right? Compare the payrolls.

If Billy Beane were the GM of the yankees they wouldn't be 8 games out. You do realize that the A's have a better record than the yankees do right? Compare the rosters and payrolls.

Youre contradiciting yourself.

Everyone who disagrees with madmike here is retarded. Clearly he's done his research.

Josh Phelps hits .292 at home at night, following a road trip against pitchers whose last name ends in a letter after M when the sprinklers have been on for between 45-50 minutes prior to the game. This compares to Cairo's putrid .276 average in the same category.

Youre contradiciting yourself.

No i'm not. The A's get MUCH more for their money than the yankees do. Thats why beane is considered the best GM in baseball. Not that beane has anything to do with VORP which is about as simple as it gets...

Everyone who disagrees with madmike here is retarded. Clearly he's done his research.

Josh Phelps hits .292 at home at night, following a road trip against pitchers whose last name ends in a letter after M when the sprinklers have been on for between 45-50 minutes prior to the game. This compares to Cairo's putrid .276 average in the same category.

Even in your attempt to make fun of me and be an ass you still show how little you know...

The Pirates just signed Phelps to help out their bench. So I might or might not come back to this thread in the future depending on how he does :P

Anyway, how can the yanks spend nearly $200 million and not have a decent first baseman? We're talking about 1B here, they're all over the place.

Archived