• Chuck James
    • Scott Kazmir
    • Tim Lincecum
    • Phil Hughes

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now.....Justin Verlander.

I would like to see what Kazmir could do if he could escape baseball purgatory. I would like to see if he can handle the bright lights of the big city , unlike the Pavano's and Renteria's of baseball.

If Liriano comes back as good as he was during the first half of last year and can carry that over into being a consistent dominant pitcher like Johan, might give him the nod.

King Felix could be mentioned, but has been too inconsistent. Seeing he is only 21 in Latin America years, he has time to grow into being a dominant pitcher. Grow is kind of an appropriate term because the knock on him is he has been lazy during his career.

Despite Madmike's Hughes ball washing love affair and his dominant one start against last place and light hitting Texas aside, he has not done anything. Ranking him ahead of anyone outside of Lincecum is retarded.

Hamels and James have shown some potential. Good early starts to their careers.

Lincecum and Hughes have not done jack $hit.

The 3 best pitchers on this list are Hughes King Felix and Liriano but i'd give Hughes the edge because the other 2 have had arm injuries.

You are too much sometimes.

Until proven otherwise, Verlander, Liriano and Hernandez are the top 3 on that list with Verlander the clear winner due to the arm problems experienced by the other two.

Hughes has had one good Major League game. I'd put Rich Hill and Hamels ahead of him as well.

By the time 2009 is here, Andrew Brackman will be the Yanks best young pitcher in the Bronx.

Indeed. And i think Andrew Miller will be one of the leagues best pitchers in the next 2 years. Bank on it.

Btw, i voted for Justin Verlander. He actually played for my local summer league team(The Wilson Tobs) back in 2002 i believe it was. I talked to the guy every single game, he was by far the best pitcher on the staff. Great guy too, very nice.

You are too much sometimes.

Until proven otherwise, Verlander, Liriano and Hernandez are the top 3 on that list with Verlander the clear winner due to the arm problems experienced by the other two.

Hughes has had one good Major League game. I'd put Rich Hill and Hamels ahead of him as well.

This has NOTHING to do with that one good game he pitched. Hughes is the best of this group even if he was still in the minors.

Hughes is the best of this group even if he was still in the minors.

I have come to the very strong conclusion that people that makes statements about players in the minor leagues, and comparing them to major league playersw, just don't understand much about the game.

Point. Case.

Think of it like this-Greg Maddux and Doc Gooden came up at about the same time. Now, on raw ability, it's no contest. Gooden, form the brief time he spent in the minors and his first few years with the Mets, was a great raw physical talent-95 + heat, drop-off-the-table curve. Maddux, on the other hand, looks like a school assistant principal and has never been in danger of clocking anywhere near Nolan Ryan.But from the beginning he knew how to pitch, as well as almost anyone.

Looking back now, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would take Gooden over Maddux given the way their careers have turned out.

I'm a Yankee fan. I hope Hughes is great. But right now, the guys in the bigs winning, and doing so with polish,are Verlander and Hamels. I hope someday soon I have a different answer. And same thing with Brackman-we're talking 2007, not 2009.

Thats a non point. Any one of these pitchers could get hurt.

Yes it is. Especially when your top three picks are either currently injured or a lazy kid with little work effort.

Yes it is. Especially when your top three picks are either currently injured or a lazy kid with little work effort.

What top 3 picks are you talking about. Felix Liriano and Hughes? I'm picking them based on ability. Fluke injuries like what Hughes had could happen to any pitcher. or player.

And that makes it a case of Who IS the best today.

No one knows the future.

To say that Hughes is the best based upon Minor League numbers is quite silly. Thos mean NOTHING.

I voted as to who i would take on my team if i had the choice. IF you want to know who the best is right now just look at their stats it's simple. Maybe I misunderstood the poll.

To be fair to those of us that voted for Hughes, he was a bigger prospect than any of these guys. And has better control than any of these guys.

Homer glasses off aside, because Hughes has not proven it at the big leagues yet (outside of his no-no), I'd go with Verlander, then Felix, Kazmir & Hamels. I cant even put Liriano on the list until he comes back from injury and looks as good as he did last year. If he gets back, then I'd put him 2nd behind Verlander.

But Hughes will probably be better than all of these guys. Or at least I hope! ;)

To be fair to those of us that voted for Hughes, he was a bigger prospect than any of these guys. And has better control than any of these guys.

Homer glasses off aside, because Hughes has not proven it at the big leagues yet (outside of his no-no), I'd go with Verlander, then Felix, Kazmir & Hamels. I cant even put Liriano on the list until he comes back from injury and looks as good as he did last year. If he gets back, then I'd put him 2nd behind Verlander.

But Hughes will probably be better than all of these guys. Or at least I hope! ;)

That is a fair post. But being a prospect and a quarter gets you a cup of coffee.

Kudos to MasonJet for once of breaking out of the Yankee Kiddie Coffee Club and voting for on other than a Yankee.

Whatever. From what I hear about Hughes he could very well turn out to be a better pitcher than most of these guys, but at this point he is completely unproven and we'll have to wait and see.

I picked Verlander because he is the most proven of any of these guys and is the most consistent one as well.

Whatever. From what I hear about Hughes he could very well turn out to be a better pitcher than most of these guys, but at this point he is completely unproven and we'll have to wait and see.

I picked Verlander because he is the most proven of any of these guys and is the most consistent one as well.

Not arguing with your reasoning, but I would say that Cole Hamels is pretty consistent, through his first full season in the bigs he garnered 145 Ks, with a 4.08 ERA, 9-8 season. This year he is even better with 108 strikeouts (before Allstar break mind you), a ERA in the 3s and a 9-3 record.

That may not fit the exact definition of Consistent but it is still pretty damn good.

Archived