Who will replace kendall????

Clemens&theJets

who will replace pete kendall?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. who will replace pete kendall?

• Wade Smith
    • Adrien Clarke
    • Other (please state)

Mat McChesney is making a switch from DT to G ( I know, I said just the opposite the other day in another post - I was wrong). Anyway, his OC had some good things to say about him @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10235830. He said "Matt was sent over by the Jets. Toughest kid I've ever had. He was a defensive lineman, and they want to move him to guard. He can make it."

That's encouraging.

none of them and if they do a complete mistake by the so called geniuses

Kendall will be done a year from now anyway, if he's not already. Plus, the Jets aren't going to release him so fast. They're going to keep him on the roster and let him decide whether or not he wants to work hard and win back his spot.

for this year the Jets need him..and that is what he is haggling about a one year deal

Maybe. But if he holds out and/or keeps complaining, he'll just rot on the bench and will make the same amount/less money then he would be if he gets his ass in gear and works hard to win out the spot. Its how the Pats did business for years with Ty Law and numerous others who have complained about their contracts... Almost every time, the Pats got the better end of the stick.

but the Jets are not the Pats...if he is on the team he will not rot on the bench as he is the best they have and he will play..you play the best players no? You pick and choose your battles and this one to me is stupid..Why not save some coin by getting rid of Kimo or is that signing that not cap friendly?

but the Jets are not the Pats...if he is on the team he will not rot on the bench as he is the best they have and he will play..you play the best players no? You pick and choose your battles and this one to me is stupid..Why not save some coin by getting rid of Kimo or is that signing that not cap friendly?

Yes, you play the best player. If Kendall comes to camp ready to prove that he's the best player, he should start, no question about it. At this point, we cannot afford to give Kendall what he wants because it will set a bad example for the rest of the team by saying that all you have to do to get what you want is to complain to the media. Thats not a good example to set.

Kendall will not be playing for the Jets anymore. It's now just a matter of when they release him and who replaces him.

Clark and/or McChesney are definite possibilities. Remember Clark played with Mangold at Ohio State for 2 years so that could be interesting.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Tannenbaum picks up a player later on, maybe even for a draft pick. If they do they will certainly have a lot of depth on the line.

It was not one of Tannenbaum's better moves. Either pay him, trade him (if possible), or address his position in the draft/FA so he has no leverage.

Leaving a disgruntled starter without a proven backup is a bad move. I'm not a giant Kendall fan, but for one more year, $1M more on a $109M cap is not something to draw a line in the sand over.

I think they were planning on just keeping him 1 more year & didn't want to give him a raise. Pick your battles, as Tyson said. This was a poor one to pick. Hopefully some other team gets desperate enough over the summer that we get a better offer than we got before the draft (assuming we got any offers before the draft).

I disagree. They obviously were trying to trade Kendall after he went to them, but didn't get any offers of value. And picking up another OL in the draft that could step in and replace Kendall obviously didn't work into the way the draft unfolded. To release Kendall earlier would have been foolish as well. Paying him more... well either they felt he wasn't worth paying more or organizationally they didn't want to set a precedent even if they thought he was worth paying more.

There may be other reasons they had for not renegotiating his contract but it doesn't really matter. They didn't want him at a higher price and that's all that matters. The fact that Kendall went public, who could have anticipated that? And once he did go public what should they do, cave in to his demands? Not even Kendall thought that going public would get him a new contract. He wanted to sever his ties so he can get out of his contract and possibly get a higher salary elsewhere.

The Jets still want to get the most value from Kendall shy of simply releasing him. Can you blame them? This is the business side of the game. I don't blame Kendall either, but when Kendall saw the writing on the wall he decided his only leverage was to go public. Most players wouldn't do that. Some do. Kendall's one of them.

I think Kendall did some good things for the Jets, but the FO has the complete picture on kendall and doesn't feel it warrants a salary raise. So be it.

As a fan my interest is in the Jets doing what's best for the team and I think they are. On the money side of things Tannenbaum is one of the best at what he does.

In my opinion if anyone is to blame here it's beat writers like Rich Cimini who simply fan the flames and instigate a story like this trying to make as much negativity out of it as they can. Who do you think placed the call for the most recent Kendall phone interview with the Daily News? I don't think it was Kendall.

I disagree. They obviously were trying to trade Kendall after he went to them, but didn't get any offers of value. And picking up another OL in the draft that could step in and replace Kendall obviously didn't work into the way the draft unfolded. To release Kendall earlier would have been foolish as well. Paying him more... well either they felt he wasn't worth paying more or organizationally they didn't want to set a precedent even if they thought he was worth paying more.

There may be other reasons they had for not renegotiating his contract but it doesn't really matter. They didn't want him at a higher price and that's all that matters. The fact that Kendall went public, who could have anticipated that? And once he did go public what should they do, cave in to his demands? Not even Kendall thought that going public would get him a new contract. He wanted to sever his ties so he can get out of his contract and possibly get a higher salary elsewhere.

The Jets still want to get the most value from Kendall shy of simply releasing him. Can you blame them? This is the business side of the game. I don't blame Kendall either, but when Kendall saw the writing on the wall he decided his only leverage was to go public. Most players wouldn't do that. Some do. Kendall's one of them.

I think Kendall did some good things for the Jets, but the FO has the complete picture on kendall and doesn't feel it warrants a salary raise. So be it.

As a fan my interest is in the Jets doing what's best for the team and I think they are. On the money side of things Tannenbaum is one of the best at what he does.

In my opinion if anyone is to blame here it's beat writers like Rich Cimini who simply fan the flames and instigate a story like this trying to make as much negativity out of it as they can. Who do you think placed the call for the most recent Kendall phone interview with the Daily News? I don't think it was Kendall.

Dude you have absolutely no idea who instigated what. You don't like him as a reporter - I can respect that. But to suggest that but for Cimini that this story would die away is naive. It simply would have been reported by someone else first.

If Cimini has access to a story - and whether you like it or not is irrelevant; it IS a story - and he buries it then he ceases to be a journalist and becomes a publicity lap log of the GM or HC. Like that loser Cannizzaro - no matter how badly Herm screwed up; no matter what kind of a weasel he ended up being; it was all one-sided anti-Jets articles because his cash-cow wasn't being shown the money.

If Kendall wants his side of the story to come out then it's coming out. Kendall may or may not have called Cimini first. He may have also had his agent place a call to Cimini. But this article didn't have a 100% Jets organization sucks nor a 100% Kendall sucks slant to it.

This is in the news because Kendall wants it to be in the news.

Other--Bryan Thomas. I was telling you guys year before last he was a beast, now he's gonna play LB and G. He'll be the first player ever to be elected to the ProBowl as a G and LB, and in the same year at that.

Oh btw, Nugent will be his backup.

After week 17, when Thomas Jones then holds the rushing record, he'll go to the press and say "I just have to thank Bryan Thomas...he just might be the greatest man to ever walk onto the field."

Dude you have absolutely no idea who instigated what. You don't like him as a reporter - I can respect that. But to suggest that but for Cimini that this story would die away is naive. It simply would have been reported by someone else first.

If Cimini has access to a story - and whether you like it or not is irrelevant; it IS a story - and he buries it then he ceases to be a journalist and becomes a publicity lap log of the GM or HC. Like that loser Cannizzaro - no matter how badly Herm screwed up; no matter what kind of a weasel he ended up being; it was all one-sided anti-Jets articles because his cash-cow wasn't being shown the money.

If Kendall wants his side of the story to come out then it's coming out. Kendall may or may not have called Cimini first. He may have also had his agent place a call to Cimini. But this article didn't have a 100% Jets organization sucks nor a 100% Kendall sucks slant to it.

This is in the news because Kendall wants it to be in the news.

This is the "who will replace kendall" thread... the rich cimini thread is here:

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36948

Kendall will not be playing for the Jets anymore. It's now just a matter of when they release him and who replaces him.

Clark and/or McChesney are definite possibilities. Remember Clark played with Mangold at Ohio State for 2 years so that could be interesting.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Tannenbaum picks up a player later on, maybe even for a draft pick. If they do they will certainly have a lot of depth on the line.

Kendall is not going to be released. The Jets are going to keep him on with the feeling even if he doesn't play they'll be okay with Clarke and Smith competing for the job. The choice is going to be entirely up to Kendall, does he choose to sit out and rot on the bench, or does he come to camp and work hard to beat out Clarke and Smith for the starting job.

Kendall is not going to be released. The Jets are going to keep him on with the feeling even if he doesn't play they'll be okay with Clarke and Smith competing for the job. The choice is going to be entirely up to Kendall, does he choose to sit out and rot on the bench, or does he come to camp and work hard to beat out Clarke and Smith for the starting job.

I agree................

And that's exactly what they should do. The creep is under contract, that's pretty much the end of the argument.

If he wants to sit out.........So be it........That will be his last payday in the NFL

why would the jets pay kendall $1.7 million to sit on the bench or be a back up? its obvious they have to let him go one way or another.

So you are supporting the front office trading away all those picks when according to you they knew on draft day that this Kendall thing was going to be such a fiasco? There were plenty of guys that would probably be serviceable at OG that could have been had with the picks given to move up for Revis OR Jones.

it IS a story - and he buries it then he ceases to be a journalist and becomes a publicity lap log of the GM or HC. Like that loser Cannizzaro -

A lap log? Cannizzaro sure, but Cimini isn't that fat.

why would the jets pay kendall $1.7 million to sit on the bench or be a back up? its obvious they have to let him go one way or another.

Because he is better than any other option and they are under the cap. No reason to save comparatively small money to spite ourselves. Besides, if they cut him and he gets his nice contract somewhere our FO will look pretty silly. Only reason to cut him loose would be if they think he's really going to disrupt the other players.

So you are supporting the front office trading away all those picks when according to you they knew on draft day that this Kendall thing was going to be such a fiasco? There were plenty of guys that would probably be serviceable at OG that could have been had with the picks given to move up for Revis OR Jones.

it's no secret Tangini was already trying to trade Kendall before the draft. that kendall was going to go public with his contract dispute, how could they know that then. considering the way things unfolded i think the Jets did the right thing.

Because he is better than any other option and they are under the cap. No reason to save comparatively small money to spite ourselves. Besides, if they cut him and he gets his nice contract somewhere our FO will look pretty silly. Only reason to cut him loose would be if they think he's really going to disrupt the other players.

the FO will try to get some value from him still, which will mean holding on to him for a while and seeing what develops. if nobody wants him then they will cut him loose. not desireable for a player to be cut so late and FO will still show that they could flex some muscle.

it's no secret Tangini was already trying to trade Kendall before the draft. that kendall was going to go public with his contract dispute, how could they know that then. considering the way things unfolded i think the Jets did the right thing.

You really like Revis and Harris or you think it was a smart move not to pick up a reasonable OG, in the draft or even FA considering they knew Kendall was starting to squawk?

the FO will try to get some value from him still, which will mean holding on to him for a while and seeing what develops. if nobody wants him then they will cut him loose. not desireable for a player to be cut so late and FO will still show that they could flex some muscle.

I agree with this. I just don't think it was necessarily the best way to handle it.

You really like Revis and Harris or you think it was a smart move not to pick up a reasonable OG, in the draft or even FA considering they knew Kendall was starting to squawk?

Only time will tell about Revis and Harris, but by all indications they were good picks. As far as picking up an OG I'm sure Tangini has it on their radar, I just don't think they've found one other than what they've got. The fact is they might feel ok going into training camp with Clark or McChesney or Wade at LG. We'll have to see how it plays out.

how ever it plays out i tend to have a lot of confidence in the moves the organization has made and is making to improve the team.

I agree with this. I just don't think it was necessarily the best way to handle it.

How would you have handled it?

Archived