Who will replace kendall????

Clemens&theJets

who will replace pete kendall?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. who will replace pete kendall?

• Wade Smith
    • Adrien Clarke
    • Other (please state)

Only time will tell about Revis and Harris, but by all indications they were good picks. As far as picking up an OG I'm sure Tangini has it on their radar, I just don't think they've found one other than what they've got. The fact is they might feel ok going into training camp with Clark or McChesney or Wade at LG. We'll have to see how it plays out.

how ever it plays out i tend to have a lot of confidence in the moves the organization has made and is making to improve the team.

It's possible that they may be high on Clarke. Still, he's not truly tested and is coming off back surgery. They also may be fairly high on Smith, though it seems to me they like him more for his versatility-he can play all five spots along the line. He probably will fill the role they envisioned for Trey Teague last year. McChesney? I actually watched him in a couple of NFLE games. He seems pretty decent at OG, but that's against NFLE competition. These are not exactly the kinds of established starters I'd want in there with two sophmores and two starters of dubious ability.

How would you have handled it?

I actually was going to stay away from this thread, but since you asked...The Jets are well under the cap. I'd have made up my mind BEFORE the draft how much extra I'd be willing to give him this year. Keep in mind, any money they add to his signed contract would simply be a gesture of good-will. A gift from the Jets. He's supposedly asking for $1M more. Maybe it'd be that much, maybe an extra $250-500K. Then I'd have shopped him during the draft and if I couldn't move him I'd tell him to take whatever extra I offered or shut up and play at his current deal. Then at least if he squawked to the press the Jets would be able to say "we tried to work it out with Pete and have offered him $X in good faith."

He's never claimed that he had a handshake deal for any specific amount, so he'd look like an ass turning down any raise. A small raise wouldn't have killed us, especially since he's getting long in the tooth and will probably be cut before his four year deal is up. IMO he is a bargain at $1.7M in the current market and if the other guards play well in camp they could have simply cut him then, once we knew there was a suitable replacement. Not counting on guys that have not even gone through a full contact practice at OG for the Jets. Now if they offer him any raise whatsoever they will look to have caved to his demands, which is obviously a bad precedent.

It's possible that they may be high on Clarke. Still, he's not truly tested and is coming off back surgery. They also may be fairly high on Smith, though it seems to me they like him more for his versatility-he can play all five spots along the line. He probably will fill the role they envisioned for Trey Teague last year. McChesney? I actually watched him in a couple of NFLE games. He seems pretty decent at OG, but that's against NFLE competition. These are not exactly the kinds of established starters I'd want in there with two sophmores and two starters of dubious ability.

I actually was going to stay away from this thread, but since you asked...The Jets are well under the cap. I'd have made up my mind BEFORE the draft how much extra I'd be willing to give him this year. Keep in mind, any money they add to his signed contract would simply be a gesture of good-will. A gift from the Jets. He's supposedly asking for $1M more. Maybe it'd be that much, maybe an extra $250-500K. Then I'd have shopped him during the draft and if I couldn't move him I'd tell him to take whatever extra I offered or shut up and play at his current deal. Then at least if he squawked to the press the Jets would be able to say "we tried to work it out with Pete and have offered him $X in good faith."

He's never claimed that he had a handshake deal for any specific amount, so he'd look like an ass turning down any raise. A small raise wouldn't have killed us, especially since he's getting long in the tooth and will probably be cut before his four year deal is up. IMO he is a bargain at $1.7M in the current market and if the other guards play well in camp they could have simply cut him then, once we knew there was a suitable replacement. Not counting on guys that have not even gone through a full contact practice at OG for the Jets. Now if they offer him any raise whatsoever they will look to have caved to his demands, which is obviously a bad precedent.

Absolutely. Giving him a higher salary is no guarantee he's going to see any of it; they could still cut him. Though if he was happy with his contract I doubt he'd rank as low as the 3rd-best guard on the team at any point in camp.

why would the jets pay kendall $1.7 million to sit on the bench or be a back up? its obvious they have to let him go one way or another.

Because its better for them than letting him play for a division rival like the Dolphins. Plus, the Jets can afford it, they're well under the cap limit according to the latest estimates.

Because its better for them than letting him play for a division rival like the Dolphins. Plus, the Jets can afford it, they're well under the cap limit according to the latest estimates.

i'd be surprised if the jets keep a disgruntled kendall around. besides, i don't know that you can rely on a player like kendall who might be retiring after this year, even as a backup. it sounds like they didn't like his mouth before this dispute and i doubt they'd like him around poisoning the chemistry and camaraderie the team is developing.

i'd be surprised if the jets keep a disgruntled kendall around. besides, i don't know that you can rely on a player like kendall who might be retiring after this year, even as a backup. it sounds like they didn't like his mouth before this dispute and i doubt they'd like him around poisoning the chemistry and camaraderie the team is developing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. If Kendall wants to play this season he'll have to come to camp and be prepared to work hard in order to win his job away from Smith/Clarke. If not, he'll rot on the bench. It's that simple. The Jets have him under contract and do not have to give in to his demands simply because he is running his mouth at the media. As for developing the camaraderie and chemistry, with the team first positvie attitude leaders spread all around the Jets roster, I doubt Kendall would really be a deterrent to the locker room if he is a backup.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. If Kendall wants to play this season he'll have to come to camp and be prepared to work hard in order to win his job away from Smith/Clarke. If not, he'll rot on the bench. It's that simple. The Jets have him under contract and do not have to give in to his demands simply because he is running his mouth at the media. As for developing the camaraderie and chemistry, with the team first positvie attitude leaders spread all around the Jets roster, I doubt Kendall would really be a deterrent to the locker room if he is a backup.

git to chatroom now to discuss

Kendall is probably gone, but one thing to note for those thinking Kendall might shut up and be a good soldier for the year: He has never said anything bad about Mangini. The closest he came was claiming they did a good cop (Mangini) bad cop (Tannenbaum) act on him. It's not likely, but if he stays that means he can blame it all on the "bad cop" who isn't in the locker-room.

*EDIT: As per today's paper, so much for that idea.

Archived