Bears decide to move on, waive Tank Johnson

Columbia Jet Fan

From ESPN.com

CHICAGO -- The Bears waived troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson on Monday after he was pulled over for speeding in Arizona last Friday.

Johnson already is suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFl sason after violating probation on a gun violation.

"He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't and we have decided to move on," general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement.

Police in the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert said Johnson was stopped for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone at 3:30 a.m. Friday and the officer made observations that led him to believe Johnson was impaired.

Sgt. Andrew Duncan, a police spokesman, said Johnson was arrested for "DUI Impaired to the Slightest Degree" but was released without being booked or charged.

Duncan said Johnson was taken to the Gilbert police station, where officials drew blood for a blood-alcohol content test before his release. He described Johnson as "very cooperative."

The officer had probable cause to make an arrest, Duncan said. Test results aren't expected for up to two weeks, and they would be sent to Gilbert town prosecutors for consideration of any charges.

Earlier this month, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Johnson for half the regular season for violating the league's toughened personal conduct policy.

At the time Johnson, who recently spent two months in the Cook County jail for violating probation, called his suspension an "opportunity for me to move forward."

Goodell said the suspension could be reduced to six games if Johnson has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound defensive tackle's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

That charge stemmed from Johnson's 2005 arrest after a Chicago nightclub valet reported seeing Johnson with a handgun in his SUV. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

Two days after last December's raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. Last month, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge stemming from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail. He was ordered to serve 45 days, which he served concurrently with the sentence for violating his probation.

"A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank; players, coaches and our front office," coach Lovie Smith said. "We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal"

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

From ESPN.com

CHICAGO -- The Bears waived troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson on Monday after he was pulled over for speeding in Arizona last Friday.

Johnson already is suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFl sason after violating probation on a gun violation.

"He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't and we have decided to move on," general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement.

Police in the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert said Johnson was stopped for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone at 3:30 a.m. Friday and the officer made observations that led him to believe Johnson was impaired.

Sgt. Andrew Duncan, a police spokesman, said Johnson was arrested for "DUI Impaired to the Slightest Degree" but was released without being booked or charged.

Duncan said Johnson was taken to the Gilbert police station, where officials drew blood for a blood-alcohol content test before his release. He described Johnson as "very cooperative."

The officer had probable cause to make an arrest, Duncan said. Test results aren't expected for up to two weeks, and they would be sent to Gilbert town prosecutors for consideration of any charges.

Earlier this month, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Johnson for half the regular season for violating the league's toughened personal conduct policy.

At the time Johnson, who recently spent two months in the Cook County jail for violating probation, called his suspension an "opportunity for me to move forward."

Goodell said the suspension could be reduced to six games if Johnson has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound defensive tackle's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

That charge stemmed from Johnson's 2005 arrest after a Chicago nightclub valet reported seeing Johnson with a handgun in his SUV. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

Two days after last December's raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. Last month, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge stemming from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail. He was ordered to serve 45 days, which he served concurrently with the sentence for violating his probation.

"A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank; players, coaches and our front office," coach Lovie Smith said. "We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal"

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

He should sign with the Bengals, move in with Chris Henry, maybe open up a Firing Range

"Bengal Killers"

"The Steel Meal"

"Gimmie yo Guns"

just some ideas for a name...

I would let the patsies pick him up. He is marginally better than any decent d-liner in the league. It's fine to let this virus go.

Not going to happen. He would be like the 4th. best D lineman on the team.

arent we looking for a great dt? i wish we'd pick him up in a decent sized contract with behavior rules, he wants to prove himself as being a better person i'd try to make the deal, we have a good o-line 3 good rbs very good 1,2 recievers a decent qb, ellis and coleman/hamilton is pretty good were very deep at lb with thomas vilma hobson barton harris kassell bowens etc dyson barrett revis poteat is a great defender and a very good dou at saftey, d-train is alright but with tank we are pretty much a complete team

arent we looking for a great dt? i wish we'd pick him up in a decent sized contract with behavior rules, he wants to prove himself as being a better person i'd try to make the deal, we have a good o-line 3 good rbs very good 1,2 recievers a decent qb, ellis and coleman/hamilton is pretty good were very deep at lb with thomas vilma hobson barton harris kassell bowens etc dyson barrett revis poteat is a great defender and a very good dou at saftey, d-train is alright but with tank we are pretty much a complete team

He wanted to prove that he is a better person and he follows it up by speeding while apparantly under the influence. You put someone like that in New York and it's only going to get worse.

He wanted to prove that he is a better person and he follows it up by speeding while apparantly under the influence. You put someone like that in New York and it's only going to get worse.

If he was under the influence then you have a point but common, who actually drives 25 mph, especially these athletes with nice cars, everone is guilty of that. Going to ny could be a positve for tank, this would show goodell that he can prove himself when the spotlight is on him in ny, but its not his decision to come here its our organization. I wish we'd take a chance, its not like he could be a team cancer type player like t.o., hes suspended the first 8 games and if anything ever happend to him again he'd be suspended again. But why wouldnt he be careful from now on, look at pacman he might not ever play in the nfl again.

The last arrest was a tad ridiculous. Basically looked they were busting him for littering.

He should have known better though,

Yeah, cruising around at 3:30 in the morning is bound to rise some suspicion.

Yeah, cruising around at 3:30 in the morning is bound to rise some suspicion.

thats true but driving around at 3 in the morning isnt illegal is it? Just because of a bad past people assume everything, if i went to jail for 6 months i think i would learn my lesson and wouldnt be doing anything to get me in trouble. Theres no way he doesnt care because nobody wants that. Being in the situation he was in was bad but nothing is proved to be illegal. And since nothing has been tested positive yet its speeding, hes not the only one who does it or has been caught doing it.

thats true but driving around at 3 in the morning isnt illegal is it? Just because of a bad past people assume everything, if i went to jail for 6 months i think i would learn my lesson and wouldnt be doing anything to get me in trouble. Theres no way he doesnt care because nobody wants that. Being in the situation he was in was bad but nothing is proved to be illegal. And since nothing has been tested positive yet its speeding, hes not the only one who does it or has been caught doing it.

You know? When I first read the story I thought the reason was pretty weak too but I guess it's not unreasonable to expect your player to keep himself out of situations like this.

you know what, i hope the blood alcohol test shows there was nothing in his system and the bears regret this because he isnt a bad person, ok he went to jail but the bears said he was a good kid and he made a list of changes hes going to make. Bad situations are everywhere but he should have just chilled out until he got back to playing with all thats going on in the league. It kind of feels like he's being set up, its 4 in the morning of course hes not going to act 100% perfect, hes training to come back in week 9 why would he be doing stupid stuff especially after being in jail why would he be driving DWI, then again anything could have happened.

1) At 3:30 in the morning, going 40 mph in a 25-zone, while tipsy (or on-the-fence).... while under the league's scrutinous spotlight, is just stupid.

2) Tank would discredit the whole purpose of the character-theme we have going.

3) He is not the savior-NT we're looking for.

I was all for giving the guy a break too - but when he had his "apologetic press conference" a few weeks back to say he was deserving of the suspension - the idiot wore this tee shirt with gold sparkled letters saying Money Man and CEO with a bunch of $$$$ signs on it. I think he's too stupid to talk to. Solid ethical move by the Bears as they take a big hit by giving him the gate.

Not going to happen. He would be like the 4th. best D lineman on the team.

I am not sure I agree with that but, why pickup trouble. If the Jets are going to place such a premium on character than this guy is one not to touch.

I am not sure I agree with that but, why pickup trouble. If the Jets are going to place such a premium on character than this guy is one not to touch.

Richard Seymour

Ty Warren

Vince Wilfork

Tank Johnson

If the guy didn't go by the name "Tank" nobody would give a $hit about him.

you know what, i hope the blood alcohol test shows there was nothing in his system and the bears regret this because he isnt a bad person, ok he went to jail but the bears said he was a good kid and he made a list of changes hes going to make. Bad situations are everywhere but he should have just chilled out until he got back to playing with all thats going on in the league. It kind of feels like he's being set up, its 4 in the morning of course hes not going to act 100% perfect, hes training to come back in week 9 why would he be doing stupid stuff especially after being in jail why would he be driving DWI, then again anything could have happened.

OK, he's already suspended for 8 games this season, he knows damn well he's on his last leg in the NFL, and what does he do? Goes out drinking and speeds at 3:30 in the morning. I don't care what kind of nice guy he is, he claerly does not have his priorities in order and for that alone he is not worth picking up at any cost.

OK, he's already suspended for 8 games this season, he knows damn well he's on his last leg in the NFL, and what does he do? Goes out drinking and speeds at 3:30 in the morning. I don't care what kind of nice guy he is, he claerly does not have his priorities in order and for that alone he is not worth picking up at any cost.

Even for sayyyyy...a meat and potato burrito from Taco Johns? :lol:

I originally posted this b/c I thought it would be a potential good pick up but there is no way the Jets should get this guy or will get this guy.

They wont b/c he is a 300 lb DT who is suited for a 4-3 D. You complain about Dewayne Robertson being undersized?? This guy is smaller...

They shouldnt b/c he does not fit the character role the Jets are looking for...and also they shouldnt b/c umm...HE IS AN UNDERSIZED DEWAYNE ROBERTSON

Archived