Lautenberg tours site of new Giants/Jets stadium

Kentucky Jet

Sen. Lautenberg tours site of new stadium for Giants, Jets

EAST RUTHERFORD (AP) -- With piledrivers pinging in the background, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg today toured the dusty and noisy stadium site that will be the new home of the Giants and the Jets.

Lautenberg, D-N.J., was given an update on the joint $1.4 billion stadium venture by the two NFL teams and briefed on the Jets' plans to move their practice facility and team headquarters to Florham Park, about 30 minutes west of the Meadowlands.

The senator voiced some concern that game-day traffic problems caused by construction on the stadium that is scheduled to open in 2010 would create an environmental problem.

"My principal issue is transportation, the environment, because if you have a few thousand cars sitting out there not moving, that's not good for the environment," said Lautenberg, who arrived wearing a yellow construction safety vest.

While expressing pride in the new stadium, which will be built fewer than 100 yards from the teams' current home, Giants Stadium, Lautenberg again asked the clubs to reconsider changing their names from New York to New Jersey and to rub the "NY" off their helmets.

"It's is going to be an exciting landmark for New Jersey when the games are in season and on TV, and my only request is that they stop using New York," Lautenberg said. "When they say New York is on the 30, I am not sure another football team is playing here. I understand it's contractual and never to be changed, but that doesn't prevent us from hoping, because so much of the attendance and interest is New Jersey born."

The 2.2 million square-foot stadium will seat 82,000 spectators and include 217 luxury suite boxes. It is being built by Skanska, a Swedish construction company.

When the stadium is made they should erase the seating arrangements, the people who have been loyal to the team the longest (the people who have had season tix for the longest time) should have first dibs on upgrading their seats. Im sure all season tivket holders would appreciate this.

So we're going up from seating 80,020 to 82,000.. not bad. A lot of people on the waiting list will move up to do an increase in seats and people dropping their season tickets because of likely PSL's and increased prices.

Sen. Lautenberg tours site of new stadium for Giants, Jets

While expressing pride in the new stadium, which will be built fewer than 100 yards from the teams' current home, Giants Stadium, Lautenberg again asked the clubs to reconsider changing their names from New York to New Jersey and to rub the "NY" off their helmets.

"It's is going to be an exciting landmark for New Jersey when the games are in season and on TV, and my only request is that they stop using New York," Lautenberg said. "When they say New York is on the 30, I am not sure another football team is playing here. I understand it's contractual and never to be changed, but that doesn't prevent us from hoping, because so much of the attendance and interest is New Jersey born."

Huuhh Huuhh Huuhh... he said rub their helmet Huuhh Huuhh Huuhh...

So we're going up from seating 80,020 to 82,000.. not bad. A lot of people on the waiting list will move up to do an increase in seats and people dropping their season tickets because of likely PSL's and increased prices.

Tech. yes the number is going up but I believe that number also includes the club seats and since there`s supposed to be around 2000+ of those the actual season ticket seat number should be close to the same as now or posably lower . And as far as the few fans getting pi$$y about SEN. Lautenburg asking about rubbing off the NY from the logo ,I have no problem with that he`s a NJ POLITICIAN and he gets paid to represent us nj voters and our interests. Now i`m Woody I take this back to NY AND SAY IF YOU STILL FEEL LIKE CHARGING us for that oil spill from the WSS SITE AND CONTINUE to hold onto our $20,000,000 we`re gonna actually think about dropping the NY ,then i`d go back to the SEN. and say if you want us to change the logo to NJ just as we have to pay a psl AND JETBLUE or JOLLY GREEN GIANT would need to pay a stadium naming right We will charge NJ a $100,000,000 per year(with 10 year agreements ) naming right to put that NJ on everything JETS ,that would cover the cost of the stadium twice over the cost of the average 30 year life span of a stadium...

Lautenberg again asked the clubs to reconsider changing their names from New York to New Jersey and to rub the "NY" off their helmets.

I really could give two ****s about this. make the facility better and improve the traffic situation.

When the PSL comes, I'm done anyway. it will be officially corporate after that. :(

I really could give two ****s about this. make the facility better and improve the traffic situation.

When the PSL comes, I'm done anyway. it will be officially corporate after that. :(

Yes they will basically be squeezing out everyone except the big time webmasters. I will give you my cell phone # so you can call me and hear the crowd 1st hand.

Yes they will basically be squeezing out everyone except the big time webmasters. I will give you my cell phone # so you can call me and hear the crowd 1st hand.

When you get that press pass I will be impressed and only then.

When you get that press pass I will be impressed and only then.

Under the current regime there is NO way we will ever have a press pass. This site was entirely too critical of Herm and they will never forget that.

Archived