Rugby vs. Football = Apples vs. Oranges

rick34125

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great read, and having actually never played football or rugby, I found it even more interesting. I wonder what the average life span of a pro rugby player is, I could be wrong but i remember hearing that the avg. age for a pro football player is around 50. Anyway, real great read.

Great read, and having actually never played football or rugby, I found it even more interesting. I wonder what the average life span of a pro rugby player is, I could be wrong but i remember hearing that the avg. age for a pro football player is around 50. Anyway, real great read.

Thats wayyy off. 50? Sure, there are few retired players that die young every year, but 50 the AVG.?? That would mean approx half of the players that play in the NFL die before age 50!! C'mon you gotta do some thinking for youreself and not just believe everything you hear.

Which sport is more popular... question over.

What? That doesn't have anything to do with the question.

I know a couple rugby players myself and when I've talked to one of them he said something like rugby is not as physical as it seems and its definitely not as physical as football or hockey. But that was just his opinion i guess.

Thats wayyy off. 50? Sure, there are few retired players that die young every year, but 50 the AVG.?? That would mean approx half of the players that play in the NFL die before age 50!! C'mon you gotta do some thinking for youreself and not just believe everything you hear.

I just looked it up it's actually 55.

Edit: I'm getting some 60's as well

What? That doesn't have anything to do with the question.

I know a couple rugby players myself and when I've talked to one of them he said something like rugby is not as physical as it seems and its definitely not as physical as football or hockey. But that was just his opinion i guess.

Coming from a collegiate-bound rugby player, and also played 4 years of high school football and 5 years of pop warner... I can vouch that football is much more physically demanding. Rugby is very physical also, its just different kinds of physical. Its tough to explain.

Coming from a collegiate-bound rugby player, and also played 4 years of high school football and 5 years of pop warner... I can vouch that football is much more physically demanding. Rugby is very physical also, its just different kinds of physical. Its tough to explain.

I played a little of both too, but I can barely remember the rules for rugby now. Couldn't read the article here. I think football is tougher, but it kind of depends on your definition of tough. Rugby involves endurance much more than football. Rugby takes strength, but you don't have the same level of hitting. I didn't really see a rugby equivalent of Ronnie Lott laying wood on people from 15 yards away. Are pads for pussies? If people in rugby outfits starting hitting like the NFL there would be nobody left on the field in short order. It's like boxing. They started wearing gloves to protect their hands not the other fighters.

i've played both, both are very tough sports, in different ways

for me, hitting was never a problem, it was the non-stop running for 40 minutes a half that was the killer.

football is more violent in terms of collisions, although rugby does have its share of that too.

rugby is tougher in the sense that there is 30 guys on the field and 1 ref, he won't see everything, alot of dirty stuff like kicking, punching, gouging, metal spikes raked across the prone players are accepted as common. Fights happen and it's not as much of a mortal sin as in football.

Thanks for the post that was a very interesting read. What I do not get out of Rugby is the sense of strategy that exists in American Football. The formations (offensive and defensive), man in motion etc. Rugby, after the scrum, looks like one long option play.

Thanks for the post that was a very interesting read. What I do not get out of Rugby is the sense of strategy that exists in American Football. The formations (offensive and defensive), man in motion etc. Rugby, after the scrum, looks like one long option play.

you are right there are less "set" plays but there is definately strategy - it usually involves some variation of the big guys taking the ball into the middle of the field over and over (sucking in the defense) and then spinning it out wide to the fast guys. Each time the ball is carried, tackled and "recycled" that is called a "phase." The more phases, the tougher it is to play defense. Also there are strategies for recycling (support the ballcarrier) and stealing the ball from the other team. It's a fascinating game and on the whole easier to understand than American football. I love football more but rugby is cool too... the upside to rugby is you can play it after college. Can't really do that with football.

Played both sports as well (Rugby in college, football before then). Both require enormous amounts of toughness, but it is a totally different kind of toughness. Pure hitting, then the nod goes to football. Tackling in rugby requires better form than in football because you'd probably die if you did some of the things football players do on a rugby pitch.

Also, in rugby everyone can carry the rock which means you have 170 lb wingers tackling 300 lb forwards. Hence the greater technique required.

I will say this, if NFL players used rugby tackling technique there would likely be a lot less injuries on the field.

Don't be fooled by the "long option play". There's quite a bit of strategy for rugby involving switches, loops and dummies for the primary ball carriers and, my favorite, the rolling maul for the forwards. That one can be unstoppable if performed correctly. Football has more set plays and more to study with the huge playbooks. And pads are not for pussies, remember football was played with barely any pads not too long ago, the pads and players developed to the point where they absolutely needed complete coverage.

Personally, I think the most dangerous thing about football is the hard helmet, the joints that can be snapped by a helmet, broken bones, and, the fact that it makes players feel invincible are the reasons why.

In sum, they are both great games requiring quite a bit of toughness. Just different.

Hey Gainzo this one's for you and those down under (and wherever rugby is played):

Which is the tougher sport, rugby or football? Are pads for pussies?

If you can't read the article here's the punchline: “Rugby is a contact sport. Gridiron is a collision sport”.

Rugby vs. Football = Apples vs. Oranges

Jun 22nd, 2007 by Extra P.

http://extrapolater.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/rugby-vs-football-apples-vs-oranges/

The NFL is the most brutal form of football in the World but Rugby is pretty tough in it's own right.

Some of the other posters have addressed the nuances of tackling and strategy in Rugby and they are spot on.

Okay, I need to see a link before I even begin to believe that.

I just used google, and here are some sites that I found that stated that the avg. life span was 55, I just took out the small sections that did. Although, I can't find any record that this is actually an official stat, it seems that it's more of a stat that people just automatically assume correct, and then back up by using the growing size and endurance of modern day professional football players.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

While U.S. life expectancy is 77.6 years, recent studies suggest the average for NFL players is 55, 52 for linemen.

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=32211

It's no wonder the average life expectancy of an NFL player is 55 - about 22 years less than the average American.

you are right there are less "set" plays but there is definately strategy - it usually involves some variation of the big guys taking the ball into the middle of the field over and over (sucking in the defense) and then spinning it out wide to the fast guys. Each time the ball is carried, tackled and "recycled" that is called a "phase." The more phases, the tougher it is to play defense. Also there are strategies for recycling (support the ballcarrier) and stealing the ball from the other team. It's a fascinating game and on the whole easier to understand than American football. I love football more but rugby is cool too... the upside to rugby is you can play it after college. Can't really do that with football.

Thanks for the insight, however I must disagree with your comment that it is easier to understand than American Football. You can say that having played, it but as a spectator I think football is an easier game to comprehend. While I a have watched rugby on TV, I cannot readily pick up on the strategy that you spoke of. However thanks again for the post.

I just used google, and here are some sites that I found that stated that the avg. life span was 55, I just took out the small sections that did. Although, I can't find any record that this is actually an official stat, it seems that it's more of a stat that people just automatically assume correct, and then back up by using the growing size and endurance of modern day professional football players.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/Sports/A_huge_problem.shtml

While U.S. life expectancy is 77.6 years, recent studies suggest the average for NFL players is 55, 52 for linemen.

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=32211

It's no wonder the average life expectancy of an NFL player is 55 - about 22 years less than the average American.

I still have a hard time believing that approx half of the people that play in the NFL will die before age 55. Maybe for lineman it's 55...But how bout those DB's, QB's and WR's who have to stay in good form in order to be effective players at their positions? It doesn't make logical sense to me.

Thanks for the insight, however I must disagree with your comment that it is easier to understand than American Football. You can say that having played, it but as a spectator I think football is an easier game to comprehend. While I a have watched rugby on TV, I cannot readily pick up on the strategy that you spoke of. However thanks again for the post.

Talk to my wife about that one. My guess is she would disagree.

Having played both, I agree w/ Bitonti that they're very different games, both w/ their own tough aspects.

As he said, the toughest thing about rugby is the stamina needed to survive 40-minute halves, and the abuse that your body takes over an 80-minute match is similar to the worst I ever had in football. Also, for a lifelong football lineman, I was surprised at the variety of skills that ALL rugby players must master. Instead of just tackling and blocking, I was also having to pass, catch, run plays, lift people up, figure out the scrum, etc. Both great games, but ended up enjoying rugby more.

Although this wasn't my favorite match of all time (Bitonti, remember this???)

Picture8-1.jpg

Having played both, I agree w/ Bitonti that they're very different games, both w/ their own tough aspects.

As he said, the toughest thing about rugby is the stamina needed to survive 40-minute halves, and the abuse that your body takes over an 80-minute match is similar to the worst I ever had in football. Also, for a lifelong football lineman, I was surprised at the variety of skills that ALL rugby players must master. Instead of just tackling and blocking, I was also having to pass, catch, run plays, lift people up, figure out the scrum, etc. Both great games, but ended up enjoying rugby more.

Although this wasn't my favorite match of all time (Bitonti, remember this???)

Picture8-1.jpg

Great post mate. I was going to mention that unlike the NFL all rugby players have to handle the ball.

Not mention scrums, mauls, lineouts, etc. And everyone on the field must know how to tackle.

This is a great thread. I just got back from the u.k. and got to play some rugby. I watched first so I could see how it was played. Even after watching for about 30 minutes it was hard to figure everything out. The guys playing were quick to invite me to have a go. I had so much friggin fun it was awesome. I started out getting my butt handed to me. But as the game went on I noticed that I started doing better and better. I think that had to do with my stamina from running so much. Because in rugby it is non stop running. I also think what helped is I wrestled in h.s. and college and a lot of times you get the head hunter tacklers and you just kind of use their momentum against them. Some of the better athletes on the field totally owned me. Remember this was a pick up game and not a pro one. I will now tell you the difference based on my opinion. So don't get pissed. There are some sports that are more fun to play and some that are more fun to watch. Rugby is awesome to play while watching it gets a little boring. Football is awesome to play and awesome to watch. If I had a connection to a rugby team this might change. I think if rugby could get a pro team over here it would take over as the fourth most popular sport. Rugby players have a lot of heart and soul.

Having watched that video Rugby looks so got damn gay, why are those men in booty shorts rubbing against each other...

Thanks for being the reason America is never taken seriously. Its great to see that your homophobic tendencies prevent you from enjoying one of the greatest and most exciting sports in the world.

Rugby hard hits:

WpTGuBfJ6rs

Thanks rick,

or should I say, VP-of-Youtube promotions ;) ....

Hey, I want to say the thirteenth hit or so (on the Rugby vid-clip) Shows a monster hit. It is posted with exactly 1:20 left on the vid-playclock and shows a Rugby guy wearing a leather helmet. I'm pretty sure, anyway... check it out to confirm; at 1:20 some beast makes a huge stop, wearing a shiny, leather (old-school NFL) helmet.

Just to encourage a new branch to this thread... What's that all about, rugby fans? Are players ALLOWED to wear pads? If so, is it considered "man"ly to not?

Just diggin' for some insight. Thanks.

Never taken seriously? If your going to insult our country, why dont you just go back to whereever your from?

exactly, people can dislike america all the **** they want, regardless we are the greatest country in the world, who the hell cares if we can't be taken seriously, we know that Rugby is gay, and you guys just haven't realized yet.

Thanks rick,

or should I say, VP-of-Youtube promotions ;) ....

Hey, I want to say the thirteenth hit or so (on the Rugby vid-clip) Shows a monster hit. It is posted with exactly 1:20 left on the vid-playclock and shows a Rugby guy wearing a leather helmet. I'm pretty sure, anyway... check it out to confirm; at 1:20 some beast makes a huge stop, wearing a shiny, leather (old-school NFL) helmet.

Just to encourage a new branch to this thread... What's that all about, rugby fans? Are players ALLOWED to wear pads? If so, is it considered "man"ly to not?

Just diggin' for some insight. Thanks.

Players can wear padded helmets and also thin padded shoulder pads. The helmets are really just to help prevent concussions and cauliflower ear, and definitely are not thick enough to be used like a weapon like they are in football. The same goes with the shoulder pads. Alot of rugby players have terrible shoulder problems so its just injury prevention, but they aren't that big that they can be used against other people, unlike shoulder pads in football.

Having watched that video Rugby looks so got damn gay, why are those men in booty shorts rubbing against each other...

That's not cool. Why do you feel a need to bash another sport?

I love American Football, but Rugby is much more popular worldwide.

That's not cool. Why do you feel a need to bash another sport?

I love American Football, but Rugby is much more popular worldwide.

Thats because Americans are the best athletes... It would be funny to see some guy in China try to throw a football. So no wonder why they dont play FOOTBALL in other countrys.

All I know is this... If you take the rugby players and show them the game of football and have them play vrs the NFL players in a game of football... THEY STAND NO CHANCE... WONT EVEN SCORE A TD.

Now if you take NFL Players and show them the game of rugby, im sorry to say but with players like R.Lewis and even Vick, man I really think the NFL players would put up a fight. We wont win, but we would put up a fight.

Archived