ESPN.com: Who is feeling heat in the AFC East?

NY Jets Guy

For 90 percent of NFL teams, quarterback play is the most important factor. Every quarterback in the NFL must step up for his team to be successful. Because of this, I will stay away from naming a quarterback as someone who is "feeling the heat" unless no one else on the team fits those qualifications.

The AFC East has been one of the toughest in the NFL in recent years. This season, the Jets and Patriots should be playoff teams, with New England shaping up as a possible Super Bowl contender. Miami and Buffalo suffered some big offseason losses. How they rebound is key to their playoff potential.

buf.gif Buffalo Bills: Offensive line

Buffalo was forced to overhaul its roster in the offseason, especially in areas such as the offensive line, running backs, linebackers and secondary. It is difficult to successfully replace a large number of players, but I would have to think the Bills are hoping the highest success rate will be on the offensive line and at running back. A strong running game will take pressure off the quarterback, receivers and defense. Buffalo's offensive line is going to feel the heat this season because its play will greatly impact the team's record.

mia.gif Miami Dolphins: Trent Green

Miami has experienced a turbulent offseason with the acquisition of QB Trent Green and the uncertainty surrounding Daunte Culpepper. LB Joey Porter was an excellent addition, but his arrival is balanced by the losses of DE Kevin Carter, TE Randy McMichael and WR Wes Welker. The Dolphins have a very mature and effective defense, and if Green ends up being the quarterback, they have the potential to be mature on offense. But it is hard for a team with this much experience to be so uncertain about the quarterback position. If Culpepper is gone or injured, Green has to be the person feeling the heat because it would be unfair to play a rookie quarterback, considering the age of this team.

nwe.gif New England Patriots: Randy Moss

The Patriots have made valid attempts to answer every question on the roster. They have a great combination of experience and youth, led by Tom Brady, one of the best quarterbacks in the league. The biggest changes on the roster have taken place at the wide receiver position. The key acquisition has been Randy Moss. Moss is feeling the heat to meet all the expectations.

nyj.gif New York Jets: Thomas Jones

The Jets need to build on their strong 2006 season. Anything less than a playoff appearance will probably be considered a step backwards. The Jets showed marked improvement on defense, and QB Chad Pennington returned to health. An area they must improve is rushing the ball, which would help the defense and the passing game. Running back Thomas Jones must be feeling the heat because significant improvement in the running game will get them over the hump.

Former Tennessee Titans general manager Floyd Reese contributes frequently to ESPN.com.

Its not on Jones' back. Its on the O-line, that has to be the biggest question mark on the entire team. They have to figure out RT, LG, clement and clarke could have this squad hamstrung.

I have to agree with you. But how is our o-line going to be without Kendall. While I know he is not gone yet, barring a miraculous change in position by either the Jets or Kendall, he won't be palying for us next year. Our running game was not that good, Jones should give it a lift, without a good guard the running game will suffer.

Its not on Jones' back. Its on the O-line, that has to be the biggest question mark on the entire team. They have to figure out RT, LG, clement and clarke could have this squad hamstrung.

In my opinion its on Pennington's back. If he dont get them over the hump this year, then he's out next year guarenteed.

This is all on Pennington's back. He has no excuses. No injuries to recover from and 2 straight years now of the same offensive system. Do not worry about Moore, he continues to get better each year and as far as Clement, he is much better in run blocking then he is at pass protection.

i've gotta agree with floyd reese, the pressure is on thomas jones to perform this year, especially since he got top billing in the jets offseason acquisitions. if he underperforms the jets offseason will not look very good and if it leads to the jets not winning enough games it will definitely raise a lot of questions about the jets path to the superbowl.

This is all on Pennington's back. He has no excuses. No injuries to recover from and 2 straight years now of the same offensive system. Do not worry about Moore, he continues to get better each year and as far as Clement, he is much better in run blocking then he is at pass protection.

No more excuses! Just win it all or get out of the way!

I have to agree with you. But how is our o-line going to be without Kendall. While I know he is not gone yet, barring a miraculous change in position by either the Jets or Kendall, he won't be palying for us next year. Our running game was not that good, Jones should give it a lift, without a good guard the running game will suffer.

I'm actually willing to put some money down that Kendall will be playing for the Jets this season.

In my opinion its on Pennington's back. If he dont get them over the hump this year, then he's out next year guarenteed.

That's a weak guarantee. What if the Jets are in the AFC championship game, pennington is 25 of 33, 2 TD's no picks, and they still lose do to fumbles?

The game does not start and stop at the QB position. We have a good QB, lets not pretend he's the only man on the field.

I'm actually willing to put some money down that Kendall will be playing for the Jets this season.

If he does it will be after a hold out of some type. He cannot talk this much junk and then show up to camp on time and play the season like nothing happened

Archived