Jason Ferguson to Cowboys rumour again

faba

Jets: Parcells' Cowboys may be eyeing Ferguson

Monday, February 28, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets are saying publicly they're confident they'll be able to re-sign veteran nose tackle Jason Ferguson, perhaps before free agency begins on Wednesday.

Privately, however, there's growing concern in the organization that Ferguson will hit the free-agency market and be swooped up by the Cowboys and coach Bill Parcells, who drafted Ferguson in 1997 and shares the same agent with the player, Jimmy Sexton.

"The Jets aren't getting anywhere with that agent (Sexton)," someone with knowledge of the situation said yesterday. "They think (Sexton) might have something lined up with Parcells. They're getting a little nervous."

Ferguson, 30, is coming off a career year and figures to be in demand as several teams are planning to employ a 3-4 defense either full-time or part-time next season. In addition to Dallas, the Browns, Broncos and 49ers are among the teams considering a switch to the alignment, and new Browns coach Romeo Crennel coached Ferguson for three seasons with the Jets.

Sexton hasn't returned several phone messages.

Although at 6-3, 305 pounds, Ferguson isn't the immovable object many nose tackles tend to be, he's solid and knows how to two-gap, defending two running lanes. Last season, he had 59 tackles and 3.5 sacks and spearheaded a run defense that ranked fifth in the NFL, yielding 97.9 yards per game. The Jets played multiple fronts, including the 3-4.

Re-signing Ferguson is a top priority for the Jets because they desperately want to keep their defensive line intact. Defensive end Shaun Ellis and defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson are locked into long-term deals and Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham has been hit with the franchise tag.

This has been rumoured before- if we do not sign Fergy- Williams from Buffalo is my guy to bring in to plug the middle

As far as I'm concerned it would be ok to see Fergie go on to Dallas and play there for Parcells.

Pat Williams is out their in Free Agency and we could pick him up as Fergie's replacement.

Imagine that DT combo of Williams and Robertson.

If the Jets lose fergy but sign Pat Williams, that would be a huge upgrade in my mind

Agreed. Kind of depends on what they do with Abe though. If they don't trade him I am not sure they will invest big in Fergie's replacement.

That is a lot of money on the def line.

Just think.

Fergie was the only starter on the DLine that wasn't a 1st round pick...dare the Jets front office make it 4 for 4 with drafting one at #26? I wouldn't be happy at all with it, but we have made some pretty stupid decisions in the past.

That's it man, I'm splittin :lol::lol:

Nah that's okay ... Jack is a fergy man ... just standing up for his guy

Now Pat Williams is way better than Mr. Contract Year, but Jack is allowed to be wrong :D

Jack is actually a HUGE Fergie fan, that is true.

Ham just so you know you can't split. TomShane is at the internet headquarters. We just slapped the franchise tag on you!

Your agent can negotiate a trade if you want. But we want compensation. :mrgreen:

Hey, Hammie....I was dancin' on the ragged edge back there...didn't meant to get all up in yo' grill...what we need to do is convince Fergy EVERY year is a contract year!

Word?

He's still my guy up da middle!

Oh I know that Jack ... Gotta go to bat for your guy ... that's exactly how I took it, my friend ... no explanation is even necessary :wink:

I like fergy too ... I wouldn't be unhappy if he returned ... but I love Pat Williams cause that man is like the immovable object :shock:

Archived