Cano and Wang....

TaborJet

...are two reasons the future looks bright for the Yanks. They must keep these players and not get tempted to trade them for Clemens. Give the Astros Wright AND Brown, but keep these youger players. They have a lot of poise and maturity out there.

i'm also in favor of keeping our young talent. it's been far to long since we have. if we could get clemmens back for brown & wright, MLB would lose their lunch!! the only way i could see that happening is if we were paying most of all three salaries.

Cash hopes to

keep Cano, Wang

BY ANTHONY McCARRON

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

We won't know for certain until the July 31 trade deadline passes, but the Yankees are so thrilled with the contributions of rookies Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang that GM Brian Cashman said yesterday he wants to keep the two players to help his graying club get younger.

"I can't guarantee it, but the preference is to keep them," Cashman said. "We need to get younger and stay younger. They are young and having input in a pennant race. That bodes well for them long-term here rather than being dealt for a quick fix."

Still, Cashman cautioned, "These guys are assets and you use them to help your team win or you use them as pieces to help acquire people to help your team win. That's the history of our sport."

The Yankees, always active in the trade market, have sacrificed prospects to fill holes on the major-league club for years. They included lefty Brad Halsey and catcher Dioner Navarro in the winter deal for Randy Johnson. At the 2003 deadline, they traded Brandon Claussen, their best minor-league pitcher at the time, to the Reds for Aaron Boone. Yhency Brazoban was part of the Yanks' deal for Kevin Brown.

But with Cano as their starting second baseman and Wang a consistent member of the rotation, Cashman and the Yankees are thinking about reloading from within for a change. Of course, if there is a tempting veteran available at the deadline and the Yankees have a hole they need to fill to contend, both players could be packaged.

Cashman cited the need to get younger several times in a conversation with a reporter, noting that was the reason for signing, among others, 29-year-old free agent Carl Pavano. "And when David Wells called me, I told him we need to transition to younger, that we would go another way," Cashman said. "That's also why we chose not to offer Jon Lieber a third year."

Cashman also bristled at the idea that the Yankees farm system is barren, something he did last year when the Diamondbacks wouldn't trade Johnson to the Yankees at midseason because they couldn't find a match of prospects.

"We concede we're not as strong as in the past, but now we've got two prospects who are having a major impact on the race in New York," Cashman said. "All the unnamed scouts out there who have been quoted saying that we have nothing are revising their reports to their clubs so they don't have egg on their face."

The Yankees' minor-league system is ranked 24th among baseball's 30 teams by Baseball America in its Prospect Handbook, a guide to up-and-coming players. The Yanks were 27th in 2004.

In 20 games, Cano was batting .264 with one homer and nine RBI. He is ranked as the Yanks' No.2 prospect by the Prospect Handbook and Wang, who is 3-1 with a 4.09 ERA, is ninth. Their top prospect, third baseman Eric Duncan, is batting .230 with four homers and 21 RBI in 46 games at Double-A Trenton.

Cano has impressed Torre so much that he called Cano's first major-league homer, which the rookie hit Tuesday, "just the tip of the iceberg. He's got a big future." Torre also said that as a young player, "I was never as relaxed and confident as Robby is."

...are two reasons the future looks bright for the Yanks. They must keep these players and not get tempted to trade them for Clemens. Give the Astros Wright AND Brown, but keep these youger players. They have a lot of poise and maturity out there.

You're 100% correct - time to start keeping the kids from the farm. That's what made the 1990's - 200 version of the Yankees a great team.

Give the 'Strohs Wright and Giambi plus cash for Rocket. I'd like my rotation in October, that's for sure:

Johnson

Rocket

Mussina

Brown/Wang

Nice.....

The future really does look great with Cano and Wang, as long as The Boss doesn't trade them for Roger Clemens and Ken Griffey Jr. :shock:

Wang, Cano,...possibly Duncan and Henn, should make a very promising future.

Trust me if Dunn or Pena are offered they will be in pintripes.

Since when did price tag matter to the Yankees?

The question of why you need another outfielder?

You have a 2nd baseman playing left field and a left fielder playing center.

And we are winning with that formula. =D>

Archived