The 'Just Plain Love of the Game' Thread for Mets/Yankee/all MLB fans

SouthernJet

A thread with no bashing. Just fans of both team,, all teams, remembering those great memories that made the game of baseball dear to your heart.

Be it a catch with your parent, going to a big league game, little league etc.

I will always remember playing pickup baseball games from 8 AM to dinnertime when I was a kid. We would go to the school field and have no right field (unless a lefty up) and the batting team played catcher..

I remember listening to World Series WEEKDAY DAY games on radio at school and then hurrying home to see end of game..

A thread with no bashing. Just fans of both team,, all teams, remembering those great memories that made the game of baseball dear to your heart.

Be it a catch with your parent, going to a big league game, little league etc.

I will always remember playing pickup baseball games from 8 AM to dinnertime when I was a kid. We would go to the school field and have no right field (unless a lefty up) and the batting team played catcher..

I remember listening to World Series WEEKDAY DAY game son radio at school and then hurrying home to se eend of game..

I spent half my life listening to baseball on the radio. Nothing more pure than that.

I played in the longest game in baseball history. the 200 inning bicentennial game in 1976. I hit 2 home runs and struck out 6 in 4 innings at 5am.

wow,, thats very very cool..

whats more american and apple pie than than a game of baseball on the bicentennial

I spent half my life listening to baseball on the radio. Nothing more pure than that.

part of fun would be to see how many games you could pick up on your radio while sneaking a listem when you were supposed to be in bed,,

I remember that the farther away the call letters started with K not W,,haha

part of fun would be to see how many games you could pick up on your radio while sneaking a listem when you were supposed to be in bed,,

St Louis and KMOX (I believe), was a fun station to listen to.

Although, not for Red Sox games, I used to listen to WBZ in Boston quite a bit.

I used to watch the games on my 13" b&w with a blanket over my head so my parents couldn't see the light from the tv. I watched the Nettles vs. Space Man Lee fight that way.

We used to play in a schoolyard so small that balls hit over the LF fence were outs because the porch was too short.

I remember getting a new glove and tieing a belt around it and oiling it every night..

little did I know that practice would come in handy here at JN years later :confused:

I used to oil mine and keep it between the mattress and the boxspring.

I remember getting a new glove and tieing a belt around it and oiling it every night..

little did I know that practice would come in handy here at JN years later :confused:

I used to oil mine and keep it between the mattress and the boxspring.
I guess there were no Microwves back then lolsc Me and My buds would use rubberbands and a softball then nuke the gloves with a little oil.

I guess there were no Microwves back then lolsc Me and My buds would use rubberbands and a softball then nuke the gloves with a little oil.

That's funny you say that. not to hijack the thread, but I played organized ball mostly in the 70's, and the only microwaves in the early 80's were at your local 7-11, so you could heat up a beef and bean burrito or a big-un after a night of drinking. :biggrin:

That's funny you say that. not to hijack the thread, but I played organized ball mostly in the 70's, and the only microwaves in the early 80's were at your local 7-11, so you could heat up a beef and bean burrito or a big-un after a night of drinking. :biggrin:
:rl: I did the samething every day after school,Good one though Bill

haha,,

well rich people had them..

my girlfriends parents had one from early-mid 70s,,restaurant variety,, it was freakin HUGE,,

:rl: I did the samething every day after school,Good one though Bill

HAHA! My mouth would be on fire with one end of the burrito, and the other end would be ice cold. it was an art to get it cooked evenly. ;)

haha,,

well rich people had them..

my girlfriends parents had one from early-mid 70s,,restaurant variety,, it was freakin HUGE,,

The first one I had was gigantic also, with no rotisserie.

I remember my 8th birthday. there was a string that started at the door of my bedroom & was strung all thru the house. I had to follow it as it led to my birthday present. low & behold there was a catchers mitt at the end of the string. awesome doesn't describe the moment.

myself & 3 cousins were all born in the same year within 3 months of eachother if you can believe that. we were all on the same baseball team that my uncle coached. we ruled!!!!!!!

I remeber when I was in I think 7th grade, and there was a local picnic since I lived in a townhouse complex, and there were at least 20 kids my age, we played a huge pick up game, the game went nine innings, and guess what...it was on July 4th, that was a day where I was proud to be american, Baseball, Fireworks, Hot Dogs, Beer, and just overall fun, I never forgot that day... I struck out twice, but hit a home run.

I remember my 8th birthday. there was a string that started at the door of my bedroom & was strung all thru the house. I had to follow it as it led to my birthday present. low & behold there was a catchers mitt at the end of the string. awesome doesn't describe the moment.

myself & 3 cousins were all born in the same year within 3 months of eachother if you can believe that. we were all on the same baseball team that my uncle coached. we ruled!!!!!!!

very cool memory

I remeber when I was in I think 7th grade, and there was a local picnic since I lived in a townhouse complex, and there were at least 20 kids my age, we played a huge pick up game, the game went nine innings, and guess what...it was on July 4th, that was a day where I was proud to be american, Baseball, Fireworks, Hot Dogs, Beer, and just overall fun, I never forgot that day... I struck out twice, but hit a home run.

thats what its allabout,, not who is having a good season or bad season,, not what a whip is or isnt,,its about the Love of the game and not let other things get in the way

Archived