Congrats Rog-ah on 350.

PFSIKH

Congratulations on the historic mark.

I still think you are a POS, but it is obvious you do not win 350 games by luck. I only wish you did not mail in those last few years in Boston and blew a chance to get 400.

Yet if this were Fat Schill or Tommy Boy Glavine there'd be an orgasm fest on this board.:eek:

Great job Roger, and a vintage Roger start to get it made it even better.

Rog-ah has reaped what he sowed.

Congratulations on the historic mark.

I still think you are a POS, but it is obvious you do not win 350 games by luck. I only wish you did not mail in those last few years in Boston and blew a chance to get 400.

In '96 Roger pitched over 240 innings. He gave up 30 less hits than ip and had an era that had to be lower than the league average. He pitched 6 complete games and struck out over 250 batters.

The Red Sox made the decision that he was done. He was hurt the year or two before that I believe. The Red Sox obviously made the wrong decision. He wasn't done. But you refuse to blame your franchise for anything they do. So somehow them letting him walk, is Roger's fault in your mind.

Homerism 101 by PFSIKH.

A great accomplishment.

I don't think much of him as a person, or his ethics and morals, but it is hard to deny his athletic prowess.

Not sure how ethics and morals are in play here -- unless there are things that are public knowledge about him that I don't know about.

Roger is a hired gun. He is out for the money. That makes him not as popular with the fans but it makes him pretty damn rich.

Max - you are right, Roger was pretty much run out of town by Dan Duquette - people always forget that. Still doesn't mean that Roger is not a liar - he is - but his leaving Boston was prompted by the FO.

Anyway, I think Roger, and Pedro Martinez, are the greatest pitchers I've ever seen pitch - live - at Fenway. I'm glad I had that opportunity.

Fans are funny. We want our athletic heros to be candid, honest, humble,entertaining, c@cky, fun, loyal, etc. Then when they are - really are - they get sh*t on by many of the fans and certainly the media.

Roger left Boston in a huff, said he wanted to be near his family in Texas, and then accepted the Blue Jays offer. People called him a money-lovin' arse. Now, I would have loved it if he just came out and said, "Dan Duquette makes me puke and the Blue Jays offered me the most money." That's just me though. For all the bemoaning we fans do regarding player "honesty" - I would bet a lot of money that fans and media would have been all over Roger had he been "honest."

In '96 Roger pitched over 240 innings. He gave up 30 less hits than ip and had an era that had to be lower than the league average. He pitched 6 complete games and struck out over 250 batters.

The Red Sox made the decision that he was done. He was hurt the year or two before that I believe. The Red Sox obviously made the wrong decision. He wasn't done. But you refuse to blame your franchise for anything they do. So somehow them letting him walk, is Roger's fault in your mind.

Homerism 101 by PFSIKH.

The Sox FO deserves some of the blame. The team was poorly run. However, you cannot blame them for not wanting to overpay a 33 YO player that is out of shape and had been injured.

Let's not forget that last couple of months in Boston. He was again floundering with an over 4.00 ERA for the third time in four seasons when he had a magical last couple of months right before he became a FA. Wow. what a coincidence.

Of course he gave up less hits, he walked a still career high 106 batters. :rolleyes:

A divorce was obviously needed. However, Fat Rog-ah did not show up at the Jays Spring Training. Skinny re-dedicated Rog-ah showed up. Yes, Dan Duquette is partially to blame, but letting your work ethic and effort slack is not Duquette's fault. That is a Rog-ah problem. He could be professional and show-up in shape. He did not. He is also to blame for his 40-39 Boston finish and over 4.00 ERA.

The Sox FO deserves some of the blame. The team was poorly run. However, you cannot blame them for not wanting to overpay a 33 YO player that is out of shape and had been injured.

Let's not forget that last couple of months in Boston. He was again floundering with an over 4.00 ERA for the third time in four seasons when he had a magical last couple of months right before he became a FA. Wow. what a coincidence.

Of course he gave up less hits, he walked a still career high 106 batters. :rolleyes:

A divorce was obviously needed. However, Fat Rog-ah did not show up at the Jays Spring Training. Skinny re-dedicated Rog-ah showed up. Yes, Dan Duquette is partially to blame, but letting your work ethic and effort slack is not Duquette's fault. That is a Rog-ah problem. He could be professional and show-up in shape. He did not. He is also to blame for his 40-39 Boston finish and over 4.00 ERA.

I can't blame them for not wanting to pay Roger? Sure I can. You guys blame the Yankees for everything they do wrong so I will take Hinsight is 20/20 for $500.

Not sure how ethics and morals are in play here -- unless there are things that are public knowledge about him that I don't know about.

Roger is a hired gun. He is out for the money. That makes him not as popular with the fans but it makes him pretty damn rich.

He is a head hunter. That is known. Nothing wrong with throwing at people, but, if you throw at someone's head, I think a good bit less of you.

He certainly was peculiar when he wanted to throw a bat shard at Piazza as well.

This whole retiring and unretiring and playing the field for the best price scenario is more than melodramatic.

Again, great pleyr. Not so great of a person in my mind.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I can't blame them for not wanting to pay Roger? Sure I can. You guys blame the Yankees for everything they do wrong so I will take Hinsight is 20/20 for $500.

What the hell does the Yankees have to do with this? He went to Toronto dork.

I doubt many of the RSN would blame Rog-ah even if he left for the Yankees because Duquette was an ass. He said he wanted to go to a good team or closer to home. In his last year in Boston, the Yankees and Rangers won their divisions and the Astros finished second. However, he went to Toronto. A team that finished behind Boston that year and would finish behind Boston his two seasons in Toronto.

Garb is right. If He said he went to Toronto for the money and to be a pain to Dan the RSN would have been fine. However, he said that BS excuse.

Plus, if Rog-ah pitched closer to the 41-13 Rog-ah with 2.50ish ERA and 563 Ks in 490 innings then maybe Duquette would not have slammed him. However, we had a 40-39 Rog-ah whose ERA was nowhere near that. Why would we think Rog-ah sucks? He was mediocre on one crappy team and great on another mediocre team.

I doubt many of the RSN would blame Rog-ah even if he left for the Yankees because Duquette was an ass. He said he wanted to go to a good team or closer to home. In his last year in Boston, the Yankees and Rangers won their divisions and the Astros finished second. However, he went to Toronto. A team that finished behind Boston that year and would finish behind Boston his two seasons in Toronto.

Garb is right. If He said he went to Toronto for the money and to be a pain to Dan the RSN would have been fine. However, he said that BS excuse.

Plus, if Rog-ah pitched closer to the 41-13 Rog-ah with 2.50ish ERA and 563 Ks in 490 innings then maybe Duquette would not have slammed him. However, we had a 40-39 Rog-ah whose ERA was nowhere near that. Why would we think Rog-ah sucks? He was mediocre on one crappy team and great on another mediocre team.

maybe those were his intentions to go home to Texas or houston, and when the Blue Jays threw 25 million at him and no one else was near that sum he did what most players would do, went for the money...but i guess he didn't personally apologize to every red sox fan alive when he did something as shocking as possibly changing his mind...

maybe those were his intentions to go home to Texas or houston, and when the Blue Jays threw 25 million at him and no one else was near that sum he did what most players would do, went for the money...but i guess he didn't personally apologize to every red sox fan alive when he did something as shocking as possibly changing his mind...

No doubt.

Again, Skank fan misses the forest for the trees. No big deal or shocker that a player went for the money. Here is the feather knock me over.

Rog-ah was fat. He was out of shape. He wanted to prove he was not washed up and the mediocre pitcher he was in Boston his last four years. That he needed Dan Duquette to call him an old fat piece of crap in order for him to hit the gym is what pisses the RSN off.

No doubt.

Again, Skank fan misses the forest for the trees. No big deal or shocker that a player went for the money. Here is the feather knock me over.

Rog-ah was fat. He was out of shape. He wanted to prove he was not washed up and the mediocre pitcher he was in Boston his last four years. That he needed Dan Duquette to call him an old fat piece of crap in order for him to hit the gym is what pisses the RSN off.

You root for a team that has won once in the last 90 seasons. But you are the source of objectivity. Keep them coming.

Dan D is responsible for the 2nd half of Roger's career. Roger had no other motivation other than Dan. Maybe Roger was really hurt. And now he isn't. Roger has always been fat. Even when he is in shape. The boy likes to eat.

He is a head hunter. That is known. Nothing wrong with throwing at people, but, if you throw at someone's head, I think a good bit less of you.

He certainly was peculiar when he wanted to throw a bat shard at Piazza as well.

This whole retiring and unretiring and playing the field for the best price scenario is more than melodramatic.

Again, great pleyr. Not so great of a person in my mind.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Great player. Total gutless a$$hole.

I sure noticed how he didn't throw at anyone's head in the NL where he had to bat. And before anyone starts defending him here, let's remember how Torre called him a headhunter before he came over to the Yanks.

He's the most talented pitcher of our generation. I have one question, though... how many of his 350 wins were due to the effect of the DH, allowing him to stay in games where he otherwise might have been removed for a pinch hitter? I'm just curious about that.

Do you copy and paste Rog-ah each time?

You root for a team that has won once in the last 90 seasons. But you are the source of objectivity. Keep them coming.

Dan D is responsible for the 2nd half of Roger's career. Roger had no other motivation other than Dan. Maybe Roger was really hurt. And now he isn't. Roger has always been fat. Even when he is in shape. The boy likes to eat.

And you root for a team that has been an abject failure for the large part of it's existence, what is your point?

Rog-ah was the highest paid pitcher for a good portion of his time in Boston. That he needed Dan's criticism/doubt to motivate himself is f'ing pathetic. Rog-ah is a POS. That he needed Dan's "in the twi-light of his career" remarks to motivate himself to take roids....errr workout is a sad commentary on today's athlete.

Dan did not make him throw like crap for a large part of his last four years in Boston. That was all Rog-ah and a doughnut.

Split the hair how you want Max. Either Rog-ah was a POS because he let his natural ability slide because of Dan Duquette. Or he did not show enough professionalism to maintain himself despite a ****ty situation. Either way Rog-ah showed his true colors his last four years.

It is sad when Manny has wanted out of Boston for about 7 of his 8 years and yet stills puts up All Star numbers.

Archived