Most important position to start a franchise with?

Columbia Jet Fan

Other than QB?

I was arguing with my friend over this. Basically you have a draft of all franchise players at every position which would you take? My friend said he thought CB would be, he argued if you get a guy like Champ he will immediately improve the other areas of your D and also b/c CB has such a disparity in terms of level of talent, you will be locking up a need position for 10 years.

I on the other hand decided to argue the correct answer which IMO, is MLB. Now I think CB was a good choice and all but I feel like besides having an MVP caliber Qb, no position can directly effect your success like a dominant MLB like a Ray Lewis or a Mike Singletary they can carry your team more than any other player at another position can. I understand the importance of a CB, LT, DE, etc, I just feel you want someone who can take over a game...and having a stud MLB allows you to do that.

Thoughts/Which position would you take?

Other than QB?

I was arguing with my friend over this. Basically you have a draft of all franchise players at every position which would you take? My friend said he thought CB would be, he argued if you get a guy like Champ he will immediately improve the other areas of your D and also b/c CB has such a disparity in terms of level of talent, you will be locking up a need position for 10 years.

I on the other hand decided to argue the correct answer which IMO, is MLB. Now I think CB was a good choice and all but I feel like besides having an MVP caliber Qb, no position can directly effect your success like a dominant MLB like a Ray Lewis or a Mike Singletary they can carry your team more than any other player at another position can. I understand the importance of a CB, LT, DE, etc, I just feel you want someone who can take over a game...and having a stud MLB allows you to do that.

Thoughts/Which position would you take?

Defesive end, followed closely by a left tackle. If you can infact get the most 'dominant' player at either of those positions, you can either A. not have to blitz as much, or B, will have more time to let plays develop by negating the other teams best pass rusher.

JMO

Defensive tackle.

A top flight defensive tackle will not only stuff the run but should collapse the pocket and help out the secondary.What good is a shut down corner if teams can run it down your throat or if the QB has all day to throw?What good is an elite MLB if he's got a guard in his face every play?A good DT helps out everyone.

A great pass rushing end probably comes next,the more you hurry the QB the more turnovers you'll force.

it's not really about position it's about players - playmakers -

if you asked me who would you start a franchise with, given all the players throughout all of football who ever played,

I would pick Lawrence Taylor.

The guy was a dominant pass rushing OLB - not exactly a "premium" position by the standards of this thread - but he changed the game and changes the way teams play against him.

Yeah yeah you could get a DT or LT early on but you can't find another Lawrence Taylor.

it's not really about position it's about players - playmakers -

if you asked me who would you start a franchise with, given all the players throughout all of football who ever played,

I would pick Lawrence Taylor.

The guy was a dominant pass rushing OLB - not exactly a "premium" position by the standards of this thread - but he changed the game and changes the way teams play against him.

Yeah yeah you could get a DT or LT early on but you can't find another Lawrence Taylor.

what about picking up an Orlando Pace? as good a pass blocker as there has been in the past 20 years, and his run blocking could be even better.

what about picking up an Orlando Pace? as good a pass blocker as there has been in the past 20 years, and his run blocking could be even better.

meh.

Pace was good, heck even great but he's at best on the HOF bubble

Taylor changed the game. there was no term 'blind side' before LT, it was invented after he joined the league.

meh.

Pace was good, heck even great but he's at best on the HOF bubble

Taylor changed the game. there was no term 'blind side' before LT, it was invented after he joined the league.

I don't feel like arguing LT stats against an outside linebacker, but pace isn't on the bubble of the HOF. He's been in since his 6th season. I'm not saying Taylor didn't change the game, but you could argue Pace did as well. How many times did the rams go four wide, AND send marshal out on a pattern, leaving only 5 to block. Without Pace those rams wouldn't have been able to do half of what they did.

In my opinion, I think it has to be LT. Building your franchise in and going out is the right way, other people might see it different tho.

Which LT are we talking about? Tomlinson or Taylor?

If I had to pick from today's players, meaning 2007, I would have to go with either Tomlinson, Orlando Pace, Brian Urlacher or Champ Bailey.

Including all past players? Man, who knows. Taylor most likely would be my choice, if not Jim Brown.

Which LT are we talking about? Tomlinson or Taylor?

If I had to pick from today's players, meaning 2007, I would have to go with either Tomlinson, Orlando Pace, Brian Urlacher or Champ Bailey.

Including all past players? Man, who knows. Taylor most likely would be my choice, if not Jim Brown.

Neither, I'm talking about LEFT TACKLE.

Left Tackle I thought about a lot, I just didnt feel like having a dominant LT can effect a game like a dominant LT could. I know I'm also drawn in b/c picking O-line isnt sexy but I just feel a 4-3 MLB (should have clarified) can run all over the field and become so dominant he can change the game by himself.

pace isn't on the bubble of the HOF. He's been in since his 6th season.

Pace peaked early - has fought injuries - holdouts, franchise tags etc. jones has been a better player over the long term - ogden was flat out better the whole time.

Technically, you can start a franchise around a player at any position as long as he is a great player. You might think it ridiculous, almost Millenesque, to build a franchise around a receiver but if that receiver is Calvin Johnson then maybe it's not a bad move.

Personally, after QB I think the next most important position is DT or NT in the 3-4 scheme. If your DT/NT isn't occupying blockers then your front 7 on defense will fail.

Depends on which side of the ball and which scheme. In a 3-4, that NT is critical, and everything builds off of him. They are also so hard to find that they are at a premium.

On the offensive side of the ball, if your QB is left handed then suddenly your LT isn't as important as your RT. I'd stay away from that position because it doesn't necessarily impact every other position quite as much as some others do. Obviously you'd take QB first but that wasn't the hypothetical.

In a 4-3, you want a DE, maybe a DT. The CB isn't as important when you're hitting the QB within seconds every single play, whereas if your CB is great and the QB has all day, he will find someone, every QB in the NFL can.

Archived