Would a salary cap save the Yankees and Sox from themselves.

PFSIKH

Thank you for making the small market point for me. These "money advantages" that you admit are crucial to the Yankees drafting well are precisely what's wrong with baseball. There shouldn't be "money advantages". The Yankees have that advantage, but do the Pirates? The Marlins? The Reds? No, and that's why MLB is a joke.

Yes, the fact that the Pirates' owners are cheap *******s is a huge reason why we suck. That's why we've had 14 consecutive losing seasons. But even if they were smart, would the Pirates really be able to compete with the Yankees every year? Or even most years? No. Not at all. See, the only way the Yankees will suck, is if they are incredibly stupid, as they have been this year. If they're even remotely competent, they have a HUGE advantage over teams like the Pirates. If our owners showed a clear commitment to winning and the intelligence to match, what could we spend? $60 million? MAYBE every once in a while, up to $80 million? What does that matter if the Yankees spend $200 million? The As and the Twins, yeah yeah yeah, we small market team fans hear that all the time. But what are the As? Sure, they've been able to be competitive. They've been able to consistently make the playoffs, but what has it gotten them? All the A's are, is basically the rich teams' AAAA minor league team. That's all the Pirates could ever hope to be too.

Look at football. If there was no salary cap, could the Steelers really compete with the Jets? I mean, with the salary cap, and years of being in the upper echelon of NFL teams, the Steelers can afford to spend at the cap, which is what, $80 million? The Pirates don't have all those years of financial and competitive health. Could they afford to spend $80 million on a regular basis? Probably not. And even if they could, all they'd be is the A's, if they're extremely lucky and extremely smart. When was the last time the A's won a World Series?

Stop your bitching.

Rooney, even with the Salary cap, never forks over the money to keep the good players there.

The Pirates have a fantastic Stadium courtesy of the taxpayers. Plead "small town market" all you want but the Yanks and Sox haven't gone down that road.

The Sox have made Fenway a source of revenue. The Yankees are building a privately funded stadium.

The A's are in the same boat as the Pirates but at least they make the playoffs.

Thank you for making the small market point for me. These "money advantages" that you admit are crucial to the Yankees drafting well are precisely what's wrong with baseball. There shouldn't be "money advantages". The Yankees have that advantage, but do the Pirates? The Marlins? The Reds? No, and that's why MLB is a joke.

Yes, the fact that the Pirates' owners are cheap *******s is a huge reason why we suck. That's why we've had 14 consecutive losing seasons. But even if they were smart, would the Pirates really be able to compete with the Yankees every year? Or even most years? No. Not at all. See, the only way the Yankees will suck, is if they are incredibly stupid, as they have been this year. If they're even remotely competent, they have a HUGE advantage over teams like the Pirates. If our owners showed a clear commitment to winning and the intelligence to match, what could we spend? $60 million? MAYBE every once in a while, up to $80 million? What does that matter if the Yankees spend $200 million? The As and the Twins, yeah yeah yeah, we small market team fans hear that all the time. But what are the As? Sure, they've been able to be competitive. They've been able to consistently make the playoffs, but what has it gotten them? All the A's are, is basically the rich teams' AAAA minor league team. That's all the Pirates could ever hope to be too.

Look at football. If there was no salary cap, could the Steelers really compete with the Jets? I mean, with the salary cap, and years of being in the upper echelon of NFL teams, the Steelers can afford to spend at the cap, which is what, $80 million? The Pirates don't have all those years of financial and competitive health. Could they afford to spend $80 million on a regular basis? Probably not. And even if they could, all they'd be is the A's, if they're extremely lucky and extremely smart. When was the last time the A's won a World Series?

The A's, Tigers and brewers recently prove that teams who are able to run their franchises well have a chance to win. It will probably never be 100% fair but the fact remains that they have come a long way with the luxury tax and revenue sharing so that smaller market teams are able to keep their better players. Thats about as good as it's gonna get.

The A's, Tigers and brewers recently prove that teams who are able to run their franchises well have a chance to win. It will probably never be 100% fair but the fact remains that they have come a long way with the luxury tax and revenue sharing so that smaller market teams are able to keep their better players. Thats about as good as it's gonna get.

Can you please admit that Okajima is better the Neshek?

Stop your bitching.

Rooney, even with the Salary cap, never forks over the money to keep the good players there.

The Pirates have a fantastic Stadium courtesy of the taxpayers. Plead "small town market" all you want but the Yanks and Sox haven't gone down that road.

The Sox have made Fenway a source of revenue. The Yankees are building a privately funded stadium.

The A's are in the same boat as the Pirates but at least they make the playoffs.

1. No, the A's aren't in the same boat as the Pirates. Don't make that common mistake of lumping all teams outside the top 10 in payroll into 1 group. The A's are a mid market team. The Pirates are a small market team. The A's consistently spend $80 million. The Pirates, as I said, could probably afford to spend $60 million, maybe $70 million, with $80 million being a very rare occurance.

2. If by "Rooney never forks over the money" you mean "Rooney refuses to overpay for guys past their prime, then sure. Back when the Steelers played in Three Rivers Stadium, the whole "the Rooneys are cheap" thing could be said. But since they moved into Heinz Field, the Rooneys have spent much more to lock up most of our best players to long term deals. Do I think we could have paid Joey Porter what he wanted? Certainly we could have afforded it. But Porter, at 30 and already showing signs of losing a step, wasn't a high enough priority to keep him at the expense of other players. Could we afford Alan Faneca? Sure. Is he worth it? Hell yeah. But we're so close to the cap, that if we paid Faneca how would we afford Polamalu? Or next year, Roethlisberger? The Steelers consistently pay up to the cap, so you can't say the Rooneys are cheap.

No. He's not. Neshek is in the middle of his 2nd dominant year. I'm still convinced Okajima will fall on his face.

Neshek has given up 7 HR's but is better than Okajima.

How is Neshek dominant?

can someone please explain to me how Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and similar big cities are "small market"? Is it a lack of people in that live in the cities themselves? are the stadiums located in farmlands? This is a serious question

from wikipedia about pittsburg, seems like a big enough market to me.

Population (U.S. Census Estimate, 2006) - City 312,819 - Density 2,001/km

can someone please explain to me how Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and similar big cities are "small market"? Is it a lack of people in that live in the cities themselves? are the stadiums located in farmlands? This is a serious question

from wikipedia about pittsburg, seems like a big enough market to me.

Population (U.S. Census Estimate, 2006) - City 312,819 - Density 2,001/km

Archived