Cashman deserves credit for Johnson deal

faba

DePodesta made good move after good move in LA. Him being fired was a joke.

As far as Beane, I guess winning 95+ games every year with a bottom third payroll is nothing...

Teams make payroll for prospects trades ALL THE TIME and get good value. I'm not out of my mind to expect that.

Good moves in LA according to what criteria? He traded valuable assets at the trading deadline for garbage and ended up having the team fall apart that year.

I'll ask again, would you, as a Yankee fan, accept winning 90 games every year without any championships? Most Yankee fans I know would be serving up the GM's (and the manager's) head on a platter.

You can expect what you want, but teams are not dealing high-profile prospects for pieces of Yankee trash anymore. Do you expect a great return for Giambi too?

Good moves in LA according to what criteria? He traded valuable assets at the trading deadline for garbage and ended up having the team fall apart that year.

I'll ask again, would you, as a Yankee fan, accept winning 90 games every year without any championships? Most Yankee fans I know would be serving up the GM's (and the manager's) head on a platter.

You can expect what you want, but teams are not dealing high-profile prospects for pieces of Yankee trash anymore. Do you expect a great return for Giambi too?

Tell me what bad trades DePodesta made. What valuable players did he trade for garbage? And i'll say this again. The playoffs are a crap shoot.

Tell me what bad trades DePodesta made. What valuable players did he trade for garbage? And i'll say this again. The playoffs are a crap shoot.

Well, I think that LoDuca (the starting catcher, a .300 hitter at the time, and the guy handling your staff well), Mota (the best set up man in the league at the time) and Encarnacion for a damaged Brad Penny, Hee Sop Choi and a minor leaguer pretty much sucked, especially when the team was in a pennant race at the time. They did hang on to make the playoffs that year, but got swept IIRC, and followed it up with one of the worst records in Dodger history the next year.

I might (in fact, I do) agree the the playoffs are a crapshoot, but I don't know many Yankee fans that would be satisfied with 90 wins every year if no championships were involved. Hell, look at the situation now... after 12 straight division titles, everyone wants Torre's and Cashman's head because they haven't won a championship since 2000. If Beane was the GM in that situation, he'd have been gone 3 years ago. And if championships don't matter, why are people on A-Rod for not performing in the post-season?

Statistics can assist in evaluating a player, but they don't tell you everything that's necessary. Can a cacther effectively handle a pitching staff? Can a player be an effective role player? Are people willing to sacrifice stats for winning? These areas, and lots oif others that SD and others could name that I'm forgetting, can only be evaluated by watching players, not by number crunching.

Sorry if you disagree.

Well, I think that LoDuca (the starting catcher, a .300 hitter at the time, and the guy handling your staff well), Mota (the best set up man in the league at the time) and Encarnacion for a damaged Brad Penny, Hee Sop Choi and a minor leaguer pretty much sucked, especially when the team was in a pennant race at the time. They did hang on to make the playoffs that year, but got swept IIRC, and followed it up with one of the worst records in Dodger history the next year.

I might (in fact, I do) agree the the playoffs are a crapshoot, but I don't know many Yankee fans that would be satisfied with 90 wins every year if no championships were involved. Hell, look at the situation now... after 12 straight division titles, everyone wants Torre's and Cashman's head because they haven't won a championship since 2000. If Beane was the GM in that situation, he'd have been gone 3 years ago. And if championships don't matter, why are people on A-Rod for not performing in the post-season?

Statistics can assist in evaluating a player, but they don't tell you everything that's necessary. Can a cacther effectively handle a pitching staff? Can a player be an effective role player? Are people willing to sacrifice stats for winning? These areas, and lots oif others that SD and others could name that I'm forgetting, can only be evaluated by watching players, not by number crunching.

Sorry if you disagree.

Dude do you know what Penny is doing right now? He's one of the best pitchers in the NL. That trade was a STEAL.

Dude do you know what Penny is doing right now? He's one of the best pitchers in the NL. That trade was a STEAL.

I know exatcty what Penny is doing right now. Too bad for DePodesta that it took him 3 years to do it.

He traded away the guts of a team in a pennant race at the trade deadline for no one who helped at all that year. More over, he did so without consulting his field manager. That, in my book, is an unforgivable sin. You can make the trade over the manager's objections, but not consulting him at all is just arrogance.

Furthermore, is wasn't until last year that they managed to fill the gaping hole at catcher left when he traded LoDuca. And in case you've forgotten, the reason he made this trade was to get enough pieces to get the Eunuch from the D-Backs. Penny blossoming into a star was sheer luck for the Dodgers. I wonder if you would still think it was a good trade if they moved Penny to AZ for Johnson like he wanted to.

I'm still waiting for your opinion on whether Yankee fans would be satisfied with 90 wins and no championships.

I know exatcty what Penny is doing right now. Too bad for DePodesta that it took him 3 years to do it.

He traded away the guts of a team in a pennant race at the trade deadline for no one who helped at all that year. More over, he did so without consulting his field manager. That, in my book, is an unforgivable sin. You can make the trade over the manager's objections, but not consulting him at all is just arrogance.

Furthermore, is wasn't until last year that they managed to fill the gaping hole at catcher left when he traded LoDuca. And in case you've forgotten, the reason he made this trade was to get enough pieces to get the Eunuch from the D-Backs. Penny blossoming into a star was sheer luck for the Dodgers. I wonder if you would still think it was a good trade if they moved Penny to AZ for Johnson like he wanted to.

I'm still waiting for your opinion on whether Yankee fans would be satisfied with 90 wins and no championships.

The GM is the Manager's boss. He has no obligation to run anything by him. Ever. Loduca is a mediocre player and they trade him and a middle man for a legit Ace. That was a GREAT trade. Not good. Saying that having a GM who cares about stats would result in 90 wins and no titles every year is foolish.

The GM is the Manager's boss. He has no obligation to run anything by him. Ever. Loduca is a mediocre player and they trade him and a middle man for a legit Ace. That was a GREAT trade. Not good. Saying that having a GM who cares about stats would result in 90 wins and no titles every year is foolish.

I'll buy that Lo Duca is about average as a catcher, overall. But he's the closest thing to a leader that the Mets have, and that tacks on added value.

Archived