The AL MVP debate.......

PFSIKH

LOL @ continued decline.

His OPS the last 4 years:

All WELL within this career variations.

Walks the last 4 years

He walked MORE in the last four years than he did earlier in his career.

Nice try...

How about his HR figures, Mike. What have they done?

The only thing about his walks that I said, were his walks THIS year.

Where have those gone Mike?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about his HR figures, Mike. What have they done?

The only thing about his walks that I said, were his walks THIS year.

Where have those gone Mike?

His Homers = meaningless if he has his career 400s OBP. And if you were referring to this year with the drop in walks then you are just repeating what I said in my previous post about him falling off the face of the earth. IE. Arguing for the sake of arguing as usual.

His Homers = meaningless if he has his career 400s OBP. And if you were referring to this year with the drop in walks walks than you are just repeating what I said in my previous post about him falling off the face of the earth. IE. Arguing for the sake of arguing as usual.

So the Yankees bargained for a singles hitting outfielder, who they want to walk more.

Funny way to spend millions of dollars.

I hoephe plays some defense for ya-LOL

So the Yankees bargained for a singles hitting outfielder, who they want to walk more.

Funny way to spend millions of dollars.

I hoephe plays some defense for ya-LOL

Another moronic statement by you (shock.) You said Abreu is the same player now who was "declining" in Philly. You do realize that in the last half season he played with Philly he had 25 doubles and a 424 OBP don't you? Of course you don't because you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Another moronic statement by you (shock.) You said Abreu is the same player now who was "declining" in Philly. You do realize that in the last half season he played with Philly he had 25 doubles and a 424 OBP don't you? Of course you don't because you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

His slugging numbers the last 4 years:

.352-This year

This is a continuation based on what we saw in Philly.

I saw him play on a daily basis here for his entire career.

Of course, as always, you know better.

.352-This year

When I made a post about Abreu in this thread, it was in response to a quote about THE YANKEES NOT TAKING ENOUGH PITCHES. I said that that mentality was hurt by Abreu's monumental drop in OBP. NOWHERE did i mention his drop in SLG%. You're the one who brought that up to pick a fight. The bottom line is that Abreu's OBP was why the yankees got him and if he would be getting on base at the rate he has his ENTIRE career the yankees would be in much better shape than they are now. That was my point. All you're doing is talking about something different in order to pick a fight with me as usual. You said Abreu is the same player now he was in the Philly. Thats BLATANTLY FALSE.

When I made a post about Abreu in this thread, it was in response to a quote about THE YANKEES NOT TAKING ENOUGH PITCHES. I said that that mentality was hurt by Abreu's monumental drop in OBP. NOWHERE did i mention his drop in SLG%. You're the one who brought that up to pick a fight. The bottom line is that Abreu's OBP was why the yankees got him and if he would be getting on base at the rate he has his ENTIRE career the yankees would be in much better shape than they are now. That was my point. All you're doing is talking about something different in order to pick a fight with me as usual.

Mike,Do you think the Yankees exepcted Abreu to hit with more power?

Mike,Do you think the Yankees exepcted Abreu to hit with more power?

They expected him to hit for similar power as he did last year but the reason they got him was his ability to get on base 40% of the time throughout his career. And BTW OBP is a much more important stat for any player than SLG. There is a direct correlation of teams with High OBP and teams who score the most runs much more than Batting AVG, SLG or anything else.

.352-This year

Mike receiving his dalily statistics from 'Stats Central'

knowitall.JPG

They expected him to hit for similar power as he did last year but the reason they got him was his ability to get on base 40% of the time throughout his career. And BTW OBP is a much more important stat for any player than SLG. There is a direct correlation of teams with High OBP and teams who score the most runs much more than Batting AVG, SLG or anything else.

That is where you are WRONG. The Yankees slotted him in the 3 hole to start the season.

Your 3 hole hitter is not an OBP slot, it is a drive runners in slot. Not combine for less than 50 extra base hits in a year.

Abreu has been sapped of power steadily over a year and a half. He is paid to hit for power along with OBP.

Since when does "OBP is more important than SLG" mean that "SLG is not important." How thick are you?

Ok Mike.

Abreu's production has NOT sdeclined over the past few years.

The Yankees merely got him for his OBP.

He was put in the #3 slot, and removed basically based on how much he doesn't walk now.

Genius.

People who make reading the baseball forum worse than getting teeth pulled:

Red Sox: JBF

Mets: Dierking, SJ, Gimmeshelter

Yanks: madmike, Barton, shadowjet

What the f##k?

Anyways. About Abreu, he's obviously not the power threat he once was. That cannot be argued. Its hard to fathom why he's having such an awful season though, as he was excellent in 2006 for us. Guys who lead the leagues in walks like he has, then falling off the face of the earth - its really unexplainable.

I do think the yankees expected more power from him though. Unless you're Ichiro in RF, you need to be able to drive the ball, hit some home runs. But I disagree with scott that the 3 hole is not about getting on base, it is. Its the cleanup spot where driving in runs is crucial. Dont get me wrong, the 3 hole is huge for driving in runs, but the cleanup spot is even more crucial for driving in runs.

What the f##k?

Anyways. About Abreu, he's obviously not the power threat he once was. That cannot be argued. Its hard to fathom why he's having such an awful season though, as he was excellent in 2006 for us. Guys who lead the leagues in walks like he has, then falling off the face of the earth - its really unexplainable.

I do think the yankees expected more power from him though. Unless you're Ichiro in RF, you need to be able to drive the ball, hit some home runs. But I disagree with scott that the 3 hole is not about getting on base, it is. Its the cleanup spot where driving in runs is crucial. Dont get me wrong, the 3 hole is huge for driving in runs, but the cleanup spot is even more crucial for driving in runs.

I agree that the 4 hole is MOR expected to drive in runs, but teh 3 slot is expected to at least have gap power and be able to drive the ball.

One can only speculate with Abreu. As I mentioned, it is not just this year. Ever since the All Star game in '05, the power just dissapeared. Like Brady Clark dissapeared. Not to cast dispersions or anything.

Except for a hot streak when he was traded to the Yankees, it has been a precipitous fall.

I agree that the 4 hole is MOR expected to drive in runs, but teh 3 slot is expected to at least have gap power and be able to drive the ball.

One can only speculate with Abreu. As I mentioned, it is not just this year. Ever since the All Star game in '05, the power just dissapeared. Like Brady Clark dissapeared. Not to cast dispersions or anything.

Except for a hot streak when he was traded to the Yankees, it has been a precipitous fall.

He maintained his OBP and walk rate, but yes his power has definitetly been on a huge decline for about 3 years. No arguement there at all. He's a singles hitter with bleh gap power these days.

This is a great forum. Mike has his strong beliefs, you have yours. I think everyones sick of the same old song and dance that goes on between everybody. Lets just enjoy baseball. SJ is good for laughs (laughing at him that is, old man! ; )

People who make reading the baseball forum worse than getting teeth pulled:

Red Sox: JBF

Mets: Dierking, SJ, Gimmeshelter

Yanks: madmike, Barton, shadowjet

Funny only one of these posters plus yourself received a 30 day ban.;)

hahahaahha OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POTW nominee

Archived