Xbox 360 shipments fail to reach target

ECURB

Microsoft acknowledged on Thursday that, in addition to experiencing an unacceptably high rate of hardware failures with the Xbox 360, the game console has also failed to reach its sales target.

The company had said it would sell 12 million of the consoles by June 30. Instead, it has shipped a total of 11.6 million units, Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell said on a conference call

"That is slightly shy" of its projections, Liddell said, but added "we're happy with that number."

Earlier Thursday, Microsoft said it was extending the warranty on the console to three years for certain hardware failures, a move that is prompting a $1 billion charge.

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9740059-7.html

This is a good thing for me! Now I don't have to worry about my console bricking (again!), as they gotta send me a new one. Thank you Microsoft!

lol

I love how everyone rips me about the PS3... but wont step up into this thread... :roll:

There is also talk that up to 3 million of the "sold" 360's are actually replacements and the real #'s for the 360 could be around 7 million sold...

lol

I love how everyone rips me about the PS3... but wont step up into this thread... :roll:

There is also talk that up to 3 million of the "sold" 360's are actually replacements and the real #'s for the 360 could be around 7 million sold...

you're like a met fan, if the ps3 is great and it's achievements and advancements are so good you shouldn't have to berate and belittle the xbox360.

you're like a met fan, if the ps3 is great and it's achievements and advancements are so good you shouldn't have to berate and belittle the xbox360.

I only do it because people bash the PS3... I owned a 360... I always say its a good gaming system... but it has too many issues for my liking...

I only do it because people bash the PS3... I owned a 360... I always say its a good gaming system... but it has too many issues for my liking...

Can you just admit that Microsoft and Sony have both been losing money and that Nintendo stepped in to pick up the slack and kick the crap out of both of them?

If I could find a Wii I would buy one. This is coming from a guy who hasn't owned a game console in over 10 years.

I will wait at least 2 years before purchasing a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player as no one knows which format will win out.

Can you just admit that Microsoft and Sony have both been losing money and that Nintendo stepped in to pick up the slack and kick the crap out of both of them?

If I could find a Wii I would buy one. This is coming from a guy who hasn't owned a game console in over 10 years.

I will wait at least 2 years before purchasing a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player as no one knows which format will win out.

The Wii is cheaper... of course it is selling more...

PS2>Wii - in terms of sales now and forever...

SONY still has the most consoles and games out there...

The Wii is cheaper... of course it is selling more...

PS2>Wii - in terms of sales now and forever...

SONY still has the most consoles and games out there...

What place does the PS2 have to do with this?

The PS2 revolutionized gaming many years ago and I can pick one up for $100 or less nowadays.

You are going on and on about how great the PS3 is so please get back on topic.

Based on sales: Wii>XBox360>PS3.

What place does the PS2 have to do with this?

The PS2 revolutionized gaming many years ago and I can pick one up for $100 or less nowadays.

You are going on and on about how great the PS3 is so please get back on topic.

Based on sales: Wii>XBox360>PS3.

Its called installing a base of customers, and by the way... the PS2 is still outselling the 360 for over $100....

There are over 110 Million PS2 owners... thats a hell of a base for Sony to work with... 110 Million people can play their old games in their new PS3 and have the games upscaled...

Nintendo screwed people with the gamecube and the Xbox was a flop...

Its the same reason Windows keeps beating out Mac OS.... people already have it and dont want to switch...

Its called installing a base of customers, and by the way... the PS2 is still outselling the 360 for over $100....

There are over 110 Million PS2 owners... thats a hell of a base for Sony to work with... 110 Million people can play their old games in their new PS3 and have the games upscaled...

Its the same reason Windows keeps beating out Mac OS.... people already have it and dont want to switch...

If the PS2 has such a loyal customer base why aren't they snapping up PS3s?

I mentioned this in a thread earlier in the week. I was at Target last weekend and there were no Wii's or 360's but plenty of PS3's.

Article from today (Part 1):

Back in November, we reviewed the three next-generation videogame consoles: Sony's PlayStation 3, Nintendo's Wii, and Microsoft's Xbox 360. The first two systems had just arrived in stores, the latter had just celebrated its first anniversary. As we expected, some of you took grave exception to the grades we awarded each system. Now, as we prepare for next week's E3 convention

Part 2:

NINTENDO WII

($249)

Ever since it launched last November, Nintendo's Wii has posted record sales (outselling the PlayStation 3 by as much as 4-to-1) and given the once-struggling company something it lacked during the days of the GameCube: positive press. The system's unique and intuitive motion-control scheme has won over once game-averse consumers who have used the Wii remote to swing a tennis racket (Wii Sports), cook an omelet (Cooking Mama)

Part 3:

SONY PLAYSTATION 3

($599)

When it launched the PS3 last November, Sony had every reason to believe its new console would soon establish itself as the market leader. After all, both the PS and PS2 had dominated their respective console generations. And didn't the PS3 use a microprocessor that cost nearly half a billion dollars to develop? Alas, things didn't go quite as expected. PS3s gather dust on shelves, as Wiis that cost about half as much practically fly out of stores. But it's still way too early to write the PS3's obituary. Sony has invested too much in the console — and the PS3 is simply too darn good — for this to happen. Well, at least for now.

WHAT WE LIKE

Let's see, we like the PS3's HDMI support (yes, it's only a factor if you own a high-def TV, but trust us, you'll be making that jump sooner than you think), cell processor (the smart and powerful chip that makes all kinds of real purty pictures), and built-in Blu-Ray player (especially considering that stand-alone players start at $500).

We also like the PS3's quiet fan (like the whisper of a bunny when compared to the Xbox 360, which reminds us of a 747 powering up), graphical user interface (understated and très elegant), and still expanding connectivity with the PSP (we can't wait for the killer app that uses the considerable power of both devices). And then there's the console's cool and menacing design, its Linux compatibility, and varied flash-memory card readers...

WHAT WE DON'T LIKE

There are a number of PS3 issues that bother us, but we'll only address the top three. First is the price. We'll be the first to admit that you get way more than you pay for in the PS3, but what you pay — practically $600 — is simply beyond the price range of many gamers. Even though the company loses as much as $250 on every PS3 sold (according to one industry estimate), Sony must realize that the console's long-term viability might require a lot more red ink. Cut the price to $500, and if that doesn't move units, prepare to cut the price some more.

We also have a problem with the vaunted SixAxis controllers. They seem too light and insubstantial, and do not hold up well against the Xbox 360's weighty and comfortable controllers — in our opinion, the best in the industry. And why is it only now that Sony decided to settle a long legal dispute and finally add a rumble feature to the SixAxis? And to follow a question with another question: Where are all the great games? There are a few better-than-average titles (see below), but Sony's current roster isn't making anyone wanna head home, dip into their graduation money, and run to the store. The PS3 is a sexy beast of a machine. So why isn't this happening?

MUST-OWN GAMES

It's not a long list, but the following are all quality games. A launch title, the creepy first-person-shooter Resistance: Fall of Man, still delivers the goods. MotorStorm has you racing all manner of vehicles — use the motion-sensors to steer for maximum sweaty-palm goodness — through desert environments that look almost real. A tough game with a steep learning curve, Ninja Gaiden Sigma remains, in the opinion of many hardcore gamers, the best fighting franchise around. Upcoming games we're most looking forward to playing: Final Fantasy XIII. Gran Turismo 5. And (insert drooling sound here) Metal Gear Solid 4.

WHAT WE SAID THEN

We judged the PS3 thusly: ''Clad in a stylish tuxedo-chic shell and accessorized with cutting-edge electronic gadgetry, the PS3 is all dressed up...with no place to go.'' We also advised readers to ''resist temptation and sit on the sidelines until there are more compelling and practical reasons to commit to the PS3.'' A little more than half a year later, our judgment still stands. Our grade then: B

WHAT WE SAY NOW

No one can dispute that the PS3 is the most technologically impressive of the three consoles. In the scheme of things, a sluggish two or three fiscal quarters won't doom a machine. But a sluggish year or two most certainly can — that's when perceptions solidify into common wisdom. Really, there's nothing so wrong with the PS3 that a few breakout titles and some bold executive decisions can't fix. We lowered the grade — but can't help thinking that a few shiny stickers could still wind up adorning the PS3 report card this winter. Our grade now: B-

Here is the source I used: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20044621,00.html

Good article. About the ps3 controller: it sucks! I might just go back to using the ps2 controller and buy the controller adapter. The thing is way too light, too small, and feels tacked on at the last minute. First off, you barely feel it in your hand. It's too small for my hands, my thumbs go way over the square button, it's cramped. The trigger buttons feel tacked on, they're too resistant for my liking. Then, the analog sticks are way too loose. With that and their ultra-sensitivity, it's almost impossible to subtly turn your car in GT 4 to keep it straight.

But, all this might change if I can get used to this controller, which I doubt. I would've really rathered that boomerang controller, that looked like a perfect fit for me, they should've kept by it instead of changing because everyone hated it at first. The controller they changed to sucks, in my opinion. Right now all I use my ps3 for is the blu-ray player.

Good article. About the ps3 controller: it sucks! I might just go back to using the ps2 controller and buy the controller adapter. The thing is way too light, too small, and feels tacked on at the last minute. First off, you barely feel it in your hand. It's too small for my hands, my thumbs go way over the square button, it's cramped. The trigger buttons feel tacked on, they're too resistant for my liking. Then, the analog sticks are way too loose. With that and their ultra-sensitivity, it's almost impossible to subtly turn your car in GT 4 to keep it straight.

But, all this might change if I can get used to this controller, which I doubt. I would've really rathered that boomerang controller, that looked like a perfect fit for me, they should've kept by it instead of changing because everyone hated it at first. The controller they changed to sucks, in my opinion.

Its the same size... lol

Its light because it has no rumble in it... they are bringing rumble back though now that they are done with the immersion lawsuit... it will be a "touch sense rumble"

and Gainzo people are snapping them up... PS3's are selling faster than 360's did... and as for you seeing a bunch of PS3's... Sony is making more per week of the PS3 than any of the other companies... they are feeding large amounts over here...

While Microsoft has been using a LOT of new parts and consoles for replacements...

It might be the same size, but the back behind the analog sticks are uncomfortable, that's where my extra fingers go. I'll go back and rethink it though when I get my cast off, as then I'll be able to reach the L2 with my thumb on the analog.

Wait, so I'll have to buy a new controller if I want rumble? That's gay! But the touch-sense rumble sounds cool, it allows for rumble in only certain spots, and you can change how hard it rumbles. So like bullets are a slight rumble but an explosion is huge. Once this comes out I'll buy it and use my other controller for splitscreen.

Its the same size... lol

Its light because it has no rumble in it... they are bringing rumble back though now that they are done with the immersion lawsuit... it will be a "touch sense rumble"

and Gainzo people are snapping them up... PS3's are selling faster than 360's did... and as for you seeing a bunch of PS3's... Sony is making more per week of the PS3 than any of the other companies... they are feeding large amounts over here...

While Microsoft has been using a LOT of new parts and consoles for replacements...

Sony and Microsoft are losing money hand over fist.

At least Microsoft admitted that the 360 had problems and will give their customers a free replacement.

Sony? Not so much.

Sony and Microsoft are losing money hand over fist.

At least Microsoft admitted that the 360 had problems and will give their customers a free replacement.

Sony? Not so much.

Eh, Sony's problems are different. Less than 1% of consoles have failed, so it's high quality. Unless you want a free replacement for the controller? I don't see how you can compare the two.

Well I have heard it all now. This proves you are the biggest Sony homer in the history of the universe.

ecurb has resorted to bringing up PS2 sales to "prove" that Sony has the better console.

Well I have heard it all now. This proves you are the biggest Sony homer in the history of the universe.

The Xbox sold 24 million consoles.... thats LESS than 1/4 of the PS2... and it is no longer being supported while the PS2 has new games coming out weekly still... the Xbox was supposed to compete with the PS2 and LOST... BADLY... it was a flop...

ecurb has resorted to bringing up PS2 sales to "prove" that Sony has the better console.

Why isnt that relevant? PS2 owners are obviously more likely to buy a PS3 than Xbox owners... and there are a ton of PS2 owners who would love to play their PS2 games in HD... upscaled games is a great feature...

Ecurb, they are more LIKELY, that doesn't mean that they all will buy a ps3. You can't use the ps2 to say that the ps3 will win the console war, it just doesn't make sense. This is a totally new generation of video games, I never play my old games now, the old generations don't matter much now.

Ecurb, they are more LIKELY, that doesn't mean that they all will buy a ps3. You can't use the ps2 to say that the ps3 will win the console war, it just doesn't make sense. This is a totally new generation of video games, I never play my old games now, the old generations don't matter much now.

You cant tell me that happy Sony Playstation customers wont stick with the playstation... not to mention all of the people who have a PS2 for games like SOCOM, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, ect ect....

Brand loyalty is a real thing... trust me...

You cant tell me that happy Sony Playstation customers wont stick with the playstation... not to mention all of the people who have a PS2 for games like SOCOM, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, ect ect....

Who ever said that everyone that bought a ps2 was a happy customer? If people see some of the games out for the 360 now, and have played halo 2 or at least seen it, they might go and get a 360 even if they owned a ps2. The average gamer will look at which consoles look really good, aren't bank-breaking, and have good games. The 360 does all of this.

Granted, when more people start buying HDTV's, and the need for Blu-Ray players rise, the ps3 will rise in sales also. Right now, in my opinion, the ps3's success lies in the success of blu-ray movies.

Who ever said that everyone that bought a ps2 was a happy customer? If people see some of the games out for the 360 now, and have played halo 2 or at least seen it, they might go and get a 360 even if they owned a ps2. The average gamer will look at which consoles look really good, aren't bank-breaking, and have good games. The 360 does all of this.

Granted, when more people start buying HDTV's, and the need for Blu-Ray players rise, the ps3 will rise in sales also. Right now, in my opinion, the ps3's success lies in the success of blu-ray movies.

Im just saying that there is a lot more brand loyalty with Playstation... they have 110+ Million customers... and Microsoft only had 24 million and do not support them anymore... Sony has shown with the PS2 that their consoles are a long term wise investment... while microsoft has not proven that yet...

I got an XBOX 360 after accidentally ending up on the pre-order list at my local gamestop. At first if was fun, but altogether i am not that pleased with it. I had PS2 before that and find myself playing that even more that my 360. I just feel like the PS2, even though it is slightly out-dated, is more fun, and I will probably sell my 360 in order to pay for a PS3, which, on most accounts, is a better system. My 360 just suffered a hardware failure, and now I have to send it to them. This also happened with a $100 wireless networking device for it. I just cannot be bothered with it anymore.

microsoft said they were pleased with the number...good enough for me.

LOL out of the "11.6 million SHIPPED" about 20-30% were replacements for bricked consoles.... that means that after almost 2 years they have failed to sell 10 million consoles... Sony will come close to that this christmas with the PS3 and the Wii will pass that...

lol

You need a life.

Why haven't these hundred of millions of PS2 customers purchased a PS3?

Is it because of the outrageous price, limited game offerings, or Sony's arrogance?

Winners of the Console Wars

3rd Generation - Nintendo's NES 60 mil over Sega's Master System 13 mil

Game Boy over Game Gear(69 mil to 10 mil)

4th Generation - SNES over Genesis (49 mil to 29 mil)

Still Game Boy over Game Gear

5th Generation - PS1 over N64 (102 mil to 32 mil)

Game Boy Color over Wonderswan (49 mil to ???)

6th Generation - PS2 over Xbox & Gamecube (120 mil to 24 mil & 21 mil)

Game Boy Advance over Ngage (79 mil to <1 mil)

7th Generation - Now Xbox 360 over Wii (11 mil to 8 mil) In Sept/Oct. Wii over Xbox 360

Nintendo DS over PSP (40 mil to 11 mil)

Why haven't these hundred of millions of PS2 customers purchased a PS3?

Is it because of the outrageous price, limited game offerings, or Sony's arrogance?

Its selling better than the PS2 did in most places around the world... and the PS2 was pretty damn pricey when it was launched...

the 2nd and 3rd holiday seasons are always the best ones for consoles... the launch is never all that great... Wii is an exception it was easy to design for as it is only a beefed up gamecube...

Archived