Better late than never...

Ten

...thoughts about our week 4 loss to the colts.

I've got all the 2006 regular season games on DVD and I'm going through the process of watching them all again,when I say watching I mean watching each play many times and look at what each player is doing.The only problem is that because of the camera angles,you ca't see what the defensive backs and WR's are doing.Anyway here are my thoughts about the game.

Even though Shaun Ellis had two sacks,I felt he had a poor game.He gambled a lot on running plays,instead of taking up blockers and maintaining his gap he'd attack another gap.Sure he'd end up the back field but the play was often going to the other way which left a massive cut back lane.He was also man handled by Ryan Diem a few times.

However Dewayne Robertson had a pretty good game,he was still guessing which gap to occupy but he made some nice run stuffing plays when he guessed right.He also didn't get completely blown off the ball by double teams,he ended up in the dirt a few times but you can definitely see the signs of improvement form Robertson in this game.But what really impressed me about D-Rob was his pass rushing,he destroyed Jeff Saturday several times and fought well against double teams.Two plays that stuck out;

1)Shuan Ellis 2nd sack-Robertson beat Saturday right off the bat with a rip move forcing Manning to run out to his right and into the path of Shaun Ellis.

2)The Colts 2nd last TD on a 3rd and goal from the 2.-The colts ran play action,faking the stretch play to the left and almost every one bit except Robertson who went to the colts right.He applied intense pressure on Manning and probably would of forced an incomplete pass if it wasn't the fact that it was Peyton Manning.Manning made an incredible throw off his back foot to score a TD.

Jonathan Vilma had a frustrating game.He looked like his old self at times,reading the play and meting the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. But too many times did he miss the tackle.

Brad Kassell watch-Many jet fans dislike Kassell,but I suspect he's not deserving of the criticism he gets and as such has vowed to keep an eye out for Kassell and see how he does.He only got a few snaps but each time he looked more like a 3-4 ILB than Vilma or Barton.Each time he took on the block and shed that blocker quickly.The running plays weren't to his side of the play so he couldn't make the tackle but I liked how he takes on the blockers.

On the Colts 2nd last TD,the player who was meant to cover the Tight end who scored was Kerry Rhodes,sadly Kerry bit on the play action.

We all know D'Brickashaw Ferguson isn't going to be a dominating run blocker,but he looked good when blocking at the second level.People ask who's going to be our lead pulling blocker if Kendall goes,the answer could be D'Brick.

On Kevan Barlows TD run,BJ Askew did a poor job and blocked his man into Barlow.Luckily for him Barlow broke the tackle.Ferguson did a nice job of taking out a LB on the second level,Kendall and Mangold both did good jobs of blocking a lineman and then a man on the second level.

Next game I'm watching is the blow out loss to the jags.Should be fun...

The colts game is the only game I have ever been to where I was happy that we were able to hang in there all day and had a chance to win. I wasnt mad, pissed, or upset.

it really bothered me that I wasnt mad after a loss. But this was when our season was still mediocre and not sure where this team was heading.

...thoughts about our week 4 loss to the colts.

I've got all the 2006 regular season games on DVD and I'm going through the process of watching them all again,when I say watching I mean watching each play many times and look at what each player is doing.The only problem is that because of the camera angles,you ca't see what the defensive backs and WR's are doing.Anyway here are my thoughts about the game.

Even though Shaun Ellis had two sacks,I felt he had a poor game.He gambled a lot on running plays,instead of taking up blockers and maintaining his gap he'd attack another gap.Sure he'd end up the back field but the play was often going to the other way which left a massive cut back lane.He was also man handled by Ryan Diem a few times.

However Dewayne Robertson had a pretty good game,he was still guessing which gap to occupy but he made some nice run stuffing plays when he guessed right.He also didn't get completely blown off the ball by double teams,he ended up in the dirt a few times but you can definitely see the signs of improvement form Robertson in this game.But what really impressed me about D-Rob was his pass rushing,he destroyed Jeff Saturday several times and fought well against double teams.Two plays that stuck out;

1)Shuan Ellis 2nd sack-Robertson beat Saturday right off the bat with a rip move forcing Manning to run out to his right and into the path of Shaun Ellis.

2)The Colts 2nd last TD on a 3rd and goal from the 2.-The colts ran play action,faking the stretch play to the left and almost every one bit except Robertson who went to the colts right.He applied intense pressure on Manning and probably would of forced an incomplete pass if it wasn't the fact that it was Peyton Manning.Manning made an incredible throw off his back foot to score a TD.

Jonathan Vilma had a frustrating game.He looked like his old self at times,reading the play and meting the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. But too many times did he miss the tackle.

Brad Kassell watch-Many jet fans dislike Kassell,but I suspect he's not deserving of the criticism he gets and as such has vowed to keep an eye out for Kassell and see how he does.He only got a few snaps but each time he looked more like a 3-4 ILB than Vilma or Barton.Each time he took on the block and shed that blocker quickly.The running plays weren't to his side of the play so he couldn't make the tackle but I liked how he takes on the blockers.

On the Colts 2nd last TD,the player who was meant to cover the Tight end who scored was Kerry Rhodes,sadly Kerry bit on the play action.

We all know D'Brickashaw Ferguson isn't going to be a dominating run blocker,but he looked good when blocking at the second level.People ask who's going to be our lead pulling blocker if Kendall goes,the answer could be D'Brick.

On Kevan Barlows TD run,BJ Askew did a poor job and blocked his man into Barlow.Luckily for him Barlow broke the tackle.Ferguson did a nice job of taking out a LB on the second level,Kendall and Mangold both did good jobs of blocking a lineman and then a man on the second level.

Next game I'm watching is the blow out loss to the jags.Should be fun...

that's a good post, thanks for taking the time. I missed the beginning of this game last year. To tell you the truth i had a really bad feeling we'd get blown out in this one, but i was really glad to see the type of fight we put up.

Gives me some hope knowing we can play the eventual football champs down to the last two minutes. A loss is still a loss, but at least we showed we belong on the same field.

Archived