Sign in to follow this  
SouthernJet

What high priced player could Yanks/Mets have done without?

What one high priced player could each team have done without this year, and what would have been better uses of the money?

Carl Pavano, Kyle Farnsworth and Jason Giambi, thats three. keep the money and play some youngins.

Could they have moved DelGado's salary? I dont know if Mets have a 1st base option though in system..

I know the Sox could have done without Julio Lugo. I'm still waiting for JD to be JD.

I know the Sox could have done without Julio Lugo. I'm still waiting for JD to be JD.

Good thing you aren't holding your breath while your waiting- you'd be dead.

Carl Pavano, Kyle Farnsworth and Jason Giambi, thats three. keep the money and play some youngins.

They have done without Pavano for most of the year and if you don't think giambi being out has really hurt this team you're dreaming.

What one high priced player could each team have done without this year, and what would have been better uses of the money?

If you're talking about contracts added last off season:

Mets ---- right now you'd have to say Alou...........any healthy LF would be better though I will be extremely happy if he's in our post season line-up..... if we make it.

Yanks---- Pettitte I guess is the only big contract they took on unless you wanna count Clemens who was signed to the "Roger plan" in season. Since Pavano held true to form you really can't kill the Pettitte signing and other than just recently, he has been very good.

SOX----JD was a huge contract but I still say he will hit. Who they could have signed instead?....Jose Guillen.

They have done without Pavano for most of the year and if you don't think giambi being out has really hurt this team you're dreaming.

I don't like Giambi, never did. he's always hurt and can't play the field. so what good is he?

I don't like Giambi, never did. he's always hurt and can't play the field. so what good is he?

Always hurt? What about last year when he was the 2nd best hitter on the team besides jeter and played 140 games? The yankees REALLY miss that production.

Always hurt? What about last year when he was the 2nd best hitter on the team besides jeter and played 140 games? The yankees REALLY miss that production.

Yes, always hurt. from the parasite in his ass to the knee and upset stomach..jesus christ the guy is a walking infirmary.

Yes, always hurt. from the parasite in his ass to the knee and upset stomach..jesus christ the guy is a walking infirmary.

this is his 6th year with the yankees. in 4 for them he's played over 139 games and put up elite level production.

this is his 6th year with the yankees. in 4 for them he's played over 139 games and put up elite level production.

He has put up elite production, I agree there, but I won't use his injury as a reason for our lack of success..

He has put up elite production, I agree there, but I won't use his injury as a reason for our lack of success..

It's A reason, not the ONLY reason but A reason.

Year TM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI

2002 NYY 155 560 120 176 34 1 41 122 109 112 2 2 .435 .598 1.033 .314

2003 NYY 156 535 97 134 25 0 41 107 129 140 2 1 .412 .527 .939 .250

2004 NYY 80 264 33 55 9 0 12 40 47 62 0 1 .342 .379 .721 .208

2005 NYY 139 417 74 113 14 0 32 87 108 109 0 0 .440 .535 .975 .271

2006 NYY 139 446 92 113 25 0 37 113 110 106 2 0 .413 .558 .971 .253

2007 NYY 45 149 19 39 5 0 7 23

Elite? I don't know dude. not compared to what he used to do in Oakland.

Elite? I don't know dude. not compared to what he used to do in Oakland.

You can put his 02,03,06 and 05 season's against any player in baseball.

You can put his 02,03,06 and 05 season's against any player in baseball.

You're probably right, but I just don't like him. sorry.

You're probably right, but I just don't like him. sorry.

Even if you hate him it's clear the yankees miss his bat in the middle of the lineup.

Even if you hate him it's clear the yankees miss his bat in the middle of the lineup.

They have absolutely sucked as a whole (hitting wise) when they have gotten good pitching. Giambi would not have made a difference.

They have absolutely sucked as a whole (hitting wise) when they have gotten good pitching. Giambi would not have made a difference.

So replacing Miguel "Useless" Cairo in the lineup with Giambi of 06 wouldn't have made a difference?

So replacing Miguel "Useless" Cairo in the lineup with Giambi of 06 wouldn't have made a difference?

You're right there.

Good thing you aren't holding your breath while your waiting- you'd be dead.

You're not allowed to comment on the Sox anymore. You've been converted.;)

Jason Giambi!!!!!

!!!!!

His best performance this year was his cameo in "The Bronx is Burning."

I'm neutral here:

Yanks- Pavano

Mets- Beltran

Sorry..but the Mets overpaid for a player that had 10 HR's in a postseason. He is not a very productive player for the salary he makes...especially his spot in the line up.

Let me get this right:

Giambi has been elite and Abreau has put up HOF numbers?

I'm neutral here:

Yanks- Pavano

Mets- Beltran

Sorry..but the Mets overpaid for a player that had 10 HR's in a postseason. He is not a very productive player for the salary he makes...especially his spot in the line up.

He hit 41 HR's last year and is struggling with a Quad injury this year. He is also arguably the best post season hitter in NY. Everyone is overpaid nowadays.

He hit 41 HR's last year and is struggling with a Quad injury this year. He is also arguably the best post season hitter in NY. Everyone is overpaid nowadays.

Yeah, probably.

Let me get this right:

Giambi has been elite and Abreau has put up HOF numbers?

yup

yup

I applaud your loyalty to those blokes but Giambi is "hurt," once again, and Abreu is so bad that he is attempting to bunt every other game just to get on base.

I applaud your loyalty to those blokes but Giambi is "hurt," once again, and Abreu is so bad that he is attempting to bunt every other game just to get on base.

LOL @ loyalty. This is about cold hard numbers, not loyalty. And I said Abreu had 9 hall of fame quality years, obviously this year isn't on that list.

LOL @ loyalty.

I will go out on a limb and say that 99% of the people who post in this forum will back me up when I say that you talk up the Yankees and the prospects in the minors over any Red Sox or any other player in MLB.

Okajima: He doesn't deserve to make the All-Star Team.

Ellsbury: Overrated.

Lowell: He sucks in the 2nd half.

Varitek: Not one of the best catchers in the game.

I could go on and on.

I will go out on a limb and say that 99% of the people who post in this forum will back me up when I say that you talk up the Yankees and the prospects in the minors over any Red Sox or any other player in MLB.

Okajima: He doesn't deserve to make the All-Star Team.

Ellsbury: Overrated.

Lowell: He sucks in the 2nd half.

Varitek: Not one of the best catchers in the game.

I could go on and on.

I give my honest opinion of every player no matter what team they play for.

Yanks- Johnny Damon ,Carl Pavano ,Jaret Wirght

Mets - Delgado , Pedro Martinez

Pedro filled his purpose of giving Minaya's Mets credibility as a team where FAs could go. Fans funneled back into Shea and it opened the Latino market for the Mets, which there are more Latinos at Shea. If he never pitches again, it doesn't matter, that signing created this Mets team.

Pirates: Tony Armas. UGH.

I bet you guys are all glad none of your teams payed up to sign Barry Zito.

Pirates: Tony Armas. UGH.

I bet you guys are all glad none of your teams payed up to sign Barry Zito.

That was the best decision Omar made this offseason. I am very pleased the Mets didnt sign him. He would have been a bigger bust in NY.