Sign in to follow this  
SouthernJet

What high priced player could Yanks/Mets have done without?

BP then goes on to show that there is no proof that such a skill exists.

Its a skill and it exists. Just watch the games.

Are you kidding me? You will take the side of some number cruncher over guys that actually play the game? Unreal.

Back to the Varitek thing. Since there is no way to know if such a skill exists there is no way to know who the catchers who are good and bad at it are. I can only judge varitek or any other catchers on the stats i have and those stats say he's mediocre.

There you go again with your, "I have more knowledge about baseball" because I bring up stats crap.

Do you actually watch the games or is your head firmly placed in Bill James' arse?

Once again I never claimed to know more than anyone. I'm just not bound by old time baseball knowledge and i'm always trying to find better ways to judge players and understand more about baseball.

Its a skill and it exists. Just watch the games.

Any game you watch is too small a sample size to be able to know for sure exactly what the reasons things are happening are.

Back to the Varitek thing. Since there is no way to know if such a skill exists there is no way to know who the catchers who are good and bad at it are. I can only judge varitek or any other catchers on the stats i have and those stats say he's mediocre.

There is more to baseball than stats for farks sake.

I will take the comments from players about Varitek than some stats geek, but I guess I'm living in the 1930's with that comment.

There is more to baseball than stats for farks sake.

I will take the comments from players about Varitek than some stats geek, but I guess I'm living in the 1930's with that comment.

Of course you will because you want to believe that Varitek is better than he is.

Some of these modern "stats" become a self fulfilling prophecy. Like lifting pitchers so damn early. Eventually, nobody can finish a game and they all fade before the 7th.

In Mike's defense, the guy who stated how important the catcher could be just used an arbitrary #, .25 of a run ERA to show how important calling a game could be. It's probably an impossible thing to quantify since some pitchers will call more of their own game and/or follow a set plan. But the Bill James' of the world will keep trying.

Some of these modern "stats" become a self fulfilling prophecy. Like lifting pitchers so damn early. Eventually, nobody can finish a game and they all fade before the 7th.

In Mike's defense, the guy who stated how important the catcher could be just used an arbitrary #, .25 of a run ERA to show how important calling a game could be. It's probably an impossible thing to quantify since some pitchers will call more of their own game and/or follow a set plan. But the Bill James' of the world will keep trying.

They should keep trying and unlike some other people i'm willing to listen to any new substantiated information anyone has.

It can't be quantified that one player may have a better batter's eye, than another, so it just must not exist.

Hey, this is easy. Look at me, I know baseball!

Of course you will because you want to believe that Varitek is better than he is.

Varitek is good, very good. He means everything to the Red Sox.

His hitting isn't great but his presence behind the plate means everything to the team.

It can't be quantified that one player may have a better batter's eye, than another.

Yes it can.

Every player's strike zone is different, every umpire's strike zone is different.

Quantify it for us.

Over a long sample size the players with the best eye's see the most pitches and walk the most. It's simple.

Over a long sample size the players with the best eye's see the most pitches and walk the most. It's simple.

That proves nothing. Not all batters see the same pitches and the same location. There is no standard to baes things off of.

I could show you catchers, where they have caught a staff the same number of games, and the staff ERA is entirely different.

You would tell us there are variances.

No batters see the same pitches all the time.

How do you quantify an ump calling a strike when it is obviously a ball?

I could show you catchers, where they have caught a staff the same number of games, and the staff ERA is entirely different.

LOL thats exactly what the BP study is about and they show that that isn't true over large sample sizes.

I'm done arguing with you. I'm bored of it.

LOL thats exactly what the BP study is about and they show that that isn't true over large sample sizes.

Typical. You come back with nothing and then run away. Tried and true for you.

You're a lost cause. Stats have their place in the game but are not everything.

On a side note: As a College student shouldn't you be out partying on a Friday night?

Typical. You come back with nothing and then run away. Tried and true for you.

LOL @ I come back with nothing. You're the ass who makes up faluty information in a attempt to prove one of your stupid points. If you want to stop being an idiot, buy that book and read the study for yourself. or not. i don't care.

On a side note: As a College student shouldn't you be out partying on a Friday night?

It's too early.

LOL @ I come back with nothing. You're the ass who makes up faluty information in a attempt to prove one of your stupid points. If you want to stop being an idiot, buy that book and read the study for yourself. or not. i don't care.

First, none of the info I came up with was faulty. Secondly, you have countered NOTHINg that I have given you.

I don't need someone else to tell what I can perfectly see for myself.

It's too early.

No worries with that!

I have another question for you:

The Yankees have players with great stats but are only .500. Why is that so?

No worries with that!

I have another question for you:

The Yankees have players with great stats but are only .500. Why is that so?

Because they have too many bad players with awful stats and guys who are under their career level production.

Because they have too many bad players with awful stats and guys who are under their career level production.

Manny and Ortiz are under their career levels. How are the Sox 20 games over .500?

Manny and Ortiz are under their career levels. How are the Sox 20 games over .500?

They aren't as much under their career numbers as any number of yankees.

There's a former Sox pitcher who comes into my bar on occasion. Well, he stopped in tonight, and I asked him about the impact a catcher can have on the game.

He told me that having a catcher that you can trust is huge. You are relaxed on the mound, knowing that he will make the right calls. The pitcher is confident that the catcher will get the sliders in the dirt, and that lessens the possibility of hanging one. He said that calling a game is a skill, and that Tek is one of the best at it.

There's a former Sox pitcher who comes into my bar on occasion. Well, he stopped in tonight, and I asked him about the impact a catcher can have on the game.

He told me that having a catcher that you can trust is huge. You are relaxed on the mound, knowing that he will make the right calls. The pitcher is confident that the catcher will get the sliders in the dirt, and that lessens the possibility of hanging one. He said that calling a game is a skill, and that Tek is one of the best at it.

Yeah, but was he able to quantify that in any numerical formula?

How is Oil Can by the way?

Common sense not your strong suit? Of course 100% of my posts aren't from a classroom.

maybe if you listened to the prof instead of posting in the classroom you might make more sense..

Mets, Pedro.

Yankees, Pavano.

Yeah, but was he able to quantify that in any numerical formula?

How is Oil Can by the way?

Actually, and Mike will appreciate this, the word he used was the catchers effect was 'immeasurable'.

Oil Can would be cool, but it's not him. It's a guy who's promising career was tragically cut short.

Actually, and Mike will appreciate this, the word he used was the catchers effect was 'immeasurable'.

Oil Can would be cool, but it's not him. It's a guy who's promising career was tragically cut short.

I absolutely believe it.

One of the greatest pitchers in the game would not pitch without his personal caddy, and made sure that any team he wast traded to, his catcher came along-Steve Carlton with Tim McCarver.

Numbers don't play baseball games, people play baseball games.

I absolutely believe it.

One of the greatest pitchers in the game would not pitch without his personal caddy, and made sure that any team he wast traded to, his catcher came along-Steve Carlton with Tim McCarver.

Numbers don't play baseball games, people play baseball games.

mike is working on his response:

math_geek.jpeg

They aren't as much under their career numbers as any number of yankees.

The terrible Jason Varitek just hit a 2 run homer. He sucks.