Harry Potter Mania

Jetsfan80

So it begins. With the release of the fifth Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this week and the final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, coming in 10 days (July 21), there is a proverbial "Perfect Storm" occurring for fans. And JK Rowling, the richest woman in England, continues to count her money.

I managed to catch the movie last night in a special midnite showing, and must say it was excellent; easily the best of the 5 movies that have been released so far.

As for the book, I am planning to pick it up on the day it is released as well.

I'm sure I'm not the only fan at JN. Who else is getting caught up in the hype?

So it begins. With the release of the fifth Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this week and the final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, coming in 10 days (July 21), there is a proverbial "Perfect Storm" occurring for fans. And JK Rowling, the richest woman in England, continues to count her money.

I managed to catch the movie last night in a special midnite showing, and must say it was excellent; easily the best of the 5 movies that have been released so far.

IMO, there is way too much interesting science out there to get caught up in science fiction/fantasy. But, what ever peels your banana man...

IMO, there is way too much interesting science out there to get caught up in science fiction/fantasy. But, what ever peels your banana man...

I'm planning on seeing it this week. I never read the books, can't spend that much time reading a childrens book (even if the story is good) but I don't mind burning 2-3 hours on movie. Liked the first two, loved the last two, this one should be good.

And as for real science, there's plenty of hardcore sci-fi books out there, but when was there a decent sci-fi movie come out that didn't envolve some fantasy?

I'm planning on seeing it this week. I never read the books, can't spend that much time reading a childrens book (even if the story is good)

I must admit, the books have gotten incredibly long; too long for a light reader. The 5th book was 852 pages, and the final one will be 784.

But I wouldn't exactly classify the novel as purely a "children's book". There are elements of it that appeal to kids and adults. After all, the books contain several murders and some pain and torturing.

:rl: They had a special Harry Potter day at the Cosmosphere and there were a few of those guys there. The best was the guy dressed up like Hagrid.

I think jetsfan80 is like Dougs friend Spence from The King of Queens. LOL

And as for real science, there's plenty of hardcore sci-fi books out there, but when was there a decent sci-fi movie come out that didn't envolve some fantasy?

I have no idea...my point was I do not care for science-fiction or science-fantasy or both wrapped up in a tortilla. I am a scientist. I like science. There is plenty of actual science material to read/watch available. So, I prefer to watch/read documented experimentation, which likely makes me a bigger geek than this guy:

Star%20Wars%20Geek%202005.jpg

I have no idea...my point was I do not care for science-fiction or science-fantasy or both wrapped up in a tortilla. I am a scientist. I like science. There is plenty of actual science material to read/watch available. So, I prefer to watch/read documented experimentation, which likely makes me a bigger geek than this guy:

What kind of work do you do?

I've read all the books and seen the first four movies so far, so I hope to catch the fifth one soon. Also, I'll go buy the book ASAP. I tend to like the books better than the movies just because I can recreate it all in my head and I just seem to always make it more fantastic in my head. Also, the books are never watered down to fit a certain time like movies- you can't fit all 800 pages in 2 hours, so you miss out on a lot.

But, honestly, it all depends on you. Some here probably are light readers, and would rather the movies- it's all personal preference.

Huge fan. My kids, now aged 12 & 10, got me into it with the 1st book. I would read to them.

I love to read, and although I prefer the books, the movies have been getting much better since the 1st one.

I order the books from the UK as I prefer to read them in their original form.

I guess my question is... would I need to catch up on the rest of the series to get this?

no MTJ-I think I saw The Prisoner Of Azkaban 1st then caught the others after that-catch this one and consider renting the others-they're ALL good-and there is a sequential thing but it's not essential-they all stand up well themselves as works of art

Its almost as gay as The Lord of the Rings. But not yet.

Lord of the Rings was a great series. Not as great as the original Star Wars trilogy, but I guess I am biased in my opinion.

I tried watching the first Harry Potter movie when it came to cable a few years ago, and couldn't make it past the first hour, as I lost interest.

Archived