Well, the Beck experiment is upon us

Mavrik

who?

As funny as it is, this is the response of most of us americans.

anyway, from what i saw and heard, Beckham was mediocre outside of the world cup (where he wasn't that great anyway) so it doesn't mean much to me. I didn't watch american soccer before and I don't plan on starting. I only watch international and world cup soccer.

No one will care, even though ESPN will try to force them to. Similar to what they do with Danica Patrick in Indy car.

I'll take hottie Danica Patrick over hairy David Beck every day of the week! And the main reason I don't like soccer? God gave us hands so we could USE them!

I don't follow soccer, but my father-in-law and many others do. Problem the MLS has is that soccer fans know an inferior product when they see it. And more importantly the real thing-Man U, Celtic, English, German, Italian and Spanish and Latin leagues are all availbale on cable and sattelite and over the internet. Who cares about watching the equivalent of AA ball when you can now see major top level talent.

His wife should change her name from Victoria to Blond Plastic F*** Doll. Note the Wildestein-like features surgery imparts. If she smiles, her arms fall off.

redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theshophound.com%2Fthe_shophound%2Fimages%2Fvbeckham.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

Problem is Beckham is a celebrity, not an all time great talent. A guy like Pele probably could have increased the popularity and gotten people to watch, heck Pele sold out Giants stadium when he played with the Cosmos.

Beckham has always been great from set pieces, and average from the run of play. That will make him good to very good in the MLS at his age and with his bum knee, but he still does not have enough of a "wow" factor in his game to get people to keep coming back.

I think it'll make the MLS alot bigger, and help that alot. I also think it'll help out soccer in general here a little bit, and won't hurt it.

I just think that team USA needs to get better, and have a great run in the World Cup, and that will really get people going. We need to be more competitive on a world level though, which could take a little more time. However, I think we'll be ok.

I think it'll make the MLS alot bigger, and help that alot. I also think it'll help out soccer in general here a little bit, and won't hurt it.

I just think that team USA needs to get better, and have a great run in the World Cup, and that will really get people going. We need to be more competitive on a world level though, which could take a little more time. However, I think we'll be ok.

Soccer blows. It is such a boring sport to watch. I know the rest of the world is crazy about it but who cares. In some parts of the world camel racing is a wildly popular sport, doesn't make it any good.

Hey I'm sure Beckham playing here will work wonders for the sport the same way Pele playing here did. Oh and remember the 1994 World Cup with that run made by the US team with Alexi Lalas. The popularity just exploded after that!

what are these rumours of he might not play tommorrow? as much as they hyped it up he better play.

He was on SportsCenter this morning and said he would probably play 15 minutes or so near the end of the game.

WTF?

All this hype... I turn it on to see Beckham play...

He is on the ****ing bench!

Good job ruining your one shot at gaining new fans MLS... idiots

He's got an injured ankle. They are not going to take a chance and have him f up his ankle even more and not be able to play. Besides, he came in in the 78th minute.

Hockey blows. It is such a boring sport to watch. I know the rest of the world is crazy about it but who cares. In some parts of the world camel racing is a wildly popular sport, doesn't make it any good.

Hey I'm sure Ovekin playing here will work wonders for the sport the same way Crosy playing here did. Oh and remember the 1994 World Cup with that run made by the US team with Malik Messer (Is that his name?). The popularity just exploded after that!

Had to edit that post

Golden opportunity for what?

Lets see.... a ton of hype... a primetime game... no real competition... and a TON of new people checking out MLS for the first time... and the guy they hyped up couldnt even really play... it was a freakin circus... they had a "beckham cam" to watch him sit on the bench...

Then he finally comes in... its obviously just a show... he hurts his foot... and it was all to play for 15 minutes in a meaningless game... thats not how you attract new fans... if anything he should have shown some heart and started the game... played for 15 minutes... and then sat out hurt... instead it was obvious that he was nothing more than being there for show... his teamate didnt even want him to take that corner kick...

Bekham is coming here for an exhibition game this fall. Normally the Vancouver Whitecaps play in 7,000 seat Swangard Stadium. Not this time. They've already sold 30,000 + seats for the game and it will be in 60,000 seat BC Place Stadium and it will probably come close to a sell out. People are nuts here. Outside of this post, I couldn't care less about this event.

Bekham is coming here for an exhibition game this fall. Normally the Vancouver Whitecaps play in 7,000 seat Swangard Stadium. Not this time. They've already sold 30,000 + seats for the game and it will be in 60,000 seat BC Place Stadium and it will probably come close to a sell out. People are nuts here. Outside of this post, I couldn't care less about this event.

I think the US blew a big chance with all this hype... I dont particularly like to watch soccer... but soccer is very popular with kids right up until high school and then it seems to die off... this was a good chance to give those kids something to look up to and have fun watching... I think they missed the boat though... I know if I was watching last night then a lot of America was... and I was disappointed...

I think the US blew a big chance with all this hype... I dont particularly like to watch soccer... but soccer is very popular with kids right up until high school and then it seems to die off... this was a good chance to give those kids something to look up to and have fun watching... I think they missed the boat though... I know if I was watching last night then a lot of America was... and I was disappointed...

What'd you expect? You want him to play through an injured ankle, gaurantee a victory, then go out there and score a hat trick, against mighty Chelsea!?! Come on now, it was an exhibition match. It would be stupid and would cost them WAY more money if he aggravated the ankle by playing too much.

Hockey blows. It is such a boring sport to watch. I know the rest of the world is crazy about it but who cares. In some parts of the world camel racing is a wildly popular sport, doesn't make it any good.

Hey I'm sure Ovekin playing here will work wonders for the sport the same way Crosy playing here did. Oh and remember the 1994 World Cup with that run made by the US team with Malik Messer (Is that his name?). The popularity just exploded after that!

Had to edit that post.

You must be kidding. Inform me please if you are serious so I can start laughing. Thanks!

For those of you old enough to remember the Cosmos, this will be the same thing. Lots of hype and intrest for a while.....then it will die down . Americans don't have a tolerance for much soccer.

That's because Americans don't have a high tolerance for boredom.

What? that Hockey sucks?

Haha, you're so ignorant it's not even funny. If you're going to bash a sport at least spell their names right. Ovekin, Crosy, 1994 World cup, Malik Messer, you should be a comedian! All you'd have to do is spew your garbage about the NHL, music, rugby, etc, and the people would love you! They'd be laughing at you all night long!

What'd you expect? You want him to play through an injured ankle, gaurantee a victory, then go out there and score a hat trick, against mighty Chelsea!?! Come on now, it was an exhibition match. It would be stupid and would cost them WAY more money if he aggravated the ankle by playing too much.

Thats my point... MLS should have been more selective about which game they hyped up... I wouldnt have shown his face until he was 100% ready to go...

Archived