Freeney signs $72 million deal with Colts

Gainzo

Per ESPN.

Defensive end Dwight Freeney has spent his entire football career chasing and sacking quarterbacks. Now, he's going to be paid as the premier player at his position.

Freeney, the Indianapolis Colts' franchise player, signed a six-year, $72 million contract with the team Friday that includes a $30 million signing bonus. He becomes the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

"To have me paid among the top players in the league -- not just as a defensive players -- means a lot of me," said Freeney, who flew to Indianapolis on Thursday night in anticipation of accepting the deal. "[Colts general manager] Bill Polian is the one who drafted me. I was hand-picked by him. He was going to do the right thing for the organization."

Polian drafted Freeney in the first round in 2002 and watched him develop into one of the game's most disruptive defensive players. Freeney registered 56

Wow.... just... wow...

He better be thanking his agent BIG TIME... lol

What really struck me was this: Freeney will receive $37.72 million over the first three years of the contract.

That's 12 million a year!

What really struck me was this: Freeney will receive $37.72 million over the first three years of the contract.

That's 12 million a year!

Maybe he can loan Pacman some money... Pacman's well will be drying up very quickly... :lol:

Sacks the last 3 seasons:

2004: 16

2005: 11

2006: 5.5

Sacks at home:

2004: 10

2005: 9

2006: 4

The Colts just gave a boatload of money to a guy who's sack totals have fallen over the last 3 seasons and an overwhelming majority of those sacks came at home (His tackles have also fallen over the last 3 seasons).

I can only imagine the conversation-

Freeney- It's not about the money it's about respect.

Polian- Okay, we respect you.

Freeney- Now pay me!

I think Polian had to make a big time signing on the defense. I just didn't think it would be this big.

Polian may have f'd himself with this deal as Bob Sanders will be up for huge money in the next couple of years if he continues to play as well as he has.

Not that I have any problem with the Colts being in salary cap hell in 2009!

Well, let me ask the board because i am curious what everyone's opinion is, where do you rank Freeney among current playing DE's? I know i put Peppers and Jason Taylor 1 and 2. Do you think Freeney is #3 on the list?

Taylor and Peppers are great against the run and the pass. Freeney is only a pass rusher. He gets burned by draws and screens all the time as he is hellbent on getting to the QB.

Taylor and Peppers are great against the run and the pass. Freeney is only a pass rusher. He gets burned by draws and screens all the time as he is hellbent on getting to the QB.

Fair enough. so where do you put freeney on your list of DE's?

BTW, not saying he does or does not deserve the money, just wondering who people view as the top 5 DE's. After the two i mentioned i am stumped, and think maybe freeney is 3.

Fair enough. so where do you put freeney on your list of DE's?

BTW, not saying he does or does not deserve the money, just wondering who people view as the top 5 DE's. After the two i mentioned i am stumped, and think maybe freeney is 3.

It's kind of tough to come up with "pure" DE's as so many teams are mixing it up on D. The Pats, Jets, Steelers and Ravens come to mind in moving players all over the place.

Freeney is a very good pass rusher. That's it.

Well, let me ask the board because i am curious what everyone's opinion is, where do you rank Freeney among current playing DE's? I know i put Peppers and Jason Taylor 1 and 2. Do you think Freeney is #3 on the list?

#3???????????

Are you kidding me? This guy had 5.5 sacks last season, and is horrible against the run.

Your going to call him a top pass rusher with 5.5 sacks? If he had 15.5, I would be imprssed.

As Gainzo has pointed out..........This guy has slid. 16..........11...........5.5..........72million?

WOW

His agent mut have had a gun

#3???????????

Are you kidding me? This guy had 5.5 sacks last season, and is horrible against the run.

Your going to call him a top pass rusher with 5.5 sacks? If he had 15.5, I would be imprssed.

As Gainzo has pointed out..........This guy has slid. 16..........11...........5.5..........72million?

WOW

His agent mut have had a gun

Freeney must be the happiest guy in America right now.

Wow, I think this has to be one of the dumbest contracts ever. 72 million and a $30 million dollar signing bonus for a one-dimensional plauer on the decline???? Wow, just wow. This signing will haunt the Colts down the road. Big time.

I have some OLB/DE hybrids on here, so I elaborated beyond five. However, the hybrid types would play the same role as Freeny for the Colts, so I figured they were relative:

1. Peppers (CAR)

2. A. Thomas (NE)

3. Ware (DAL)

4. Seymour (NE)

5. Freeny (IND)

6. S. Ellis (NYJ)

7. Schobel (BUF)

8. L. Little (STL)

9. B. Thomas (NYJ)

10. Warren (NE)

11. Kiwanuka (NYG)

12. Canty (DAL)

This contract is ridiculous and as you guys have said he is not worth it. The highest paid defensive player in the league? Peppers has to be salivating now and the Panthers sh$tting their pants. This bumps up the coin for many players now and in many cases it will not be warranted.

I have some OLB/DE hybrids on here, so I elaborated beyond five. However, the hybrid types would play the same role as Freeny for the Colts, so I figured they were relative:

1. Peppers (CAR)

2. A. Thomas (NE)

3. Ware (DAL)

4. Seymour (NE)

5. Freeny (IND)

6. S. Ellis (NYJ)

7. Schobel (BUF)

8. L. Little (STL)

9. B. Thomas (NYJ)

10. Warren (NE)

11. Kiwanuka (NYG)

12. Canty (DAL)

merrriiiiiimmmmaaaaaaannnnnn

The trouble with this contract is that it screws everyone in the league. The salary cap will be all out of whack now. Luckily the Jets don't have any real marquis players they need to sign but imagine the money everyone will ask for if a DL gets a 30mil signing bonus. Good luck signing LJ Herm.

1. Peppers (CAR)

2. A. Thomas (NE)

2a. Merriman

3. Ware (DAL)

4. Seymour (NE)

5. Freeny (IND)

6. S. Ellis (NYJ)

7. Schobel (BUF)

8. L. Little (STL)

9. B. Thomas (NYJ)

10. Warren (NE)

11. Kiwanuka (NYG)

12. Canty (DAL)

merrriiiiiimmmmaaaaaaannnnnn

:Nuts:

:bag:

dumbass.jpg

The trouble with this contract is that it screws everyone in the league. The salary cap will be all out of whack now. Luckily the Jets don't have any real marquis players they need to sign but imagine the money everyone will ask for if a DL gets a 30mil signing bonus. Good luck signing LJ Herm.

Your right

The teams get another 8 million next season. There is going to be kaos for the next few seasons until teams start getting in cap trouble again.

There have been several signings this season that are really out of wack.

By the way, the Jets need to get Rhodes signed next season. If he has another year like last year he is going to cost plenty.

I was hoping they would give him a contract extension this year to advoid the BIG hit

Your right

The teams get another 8 million next season. There is going to be kaos for the next few seasons until teams start getting in cap trouble again.

There have been several signings this season that are really out of wack.

By the way, the Jets need to get Rhodes signed next season. If he has another year like last year he is going to cost plenty.

I was hoping they would give him a contract extension this year to advoid the BIG hit

I wonder who the marquee free agents will be next year? Next off season is going to be crazy.

It was bad enough this year with Nate Clements and Freeney getting huge money, not to mention the likes of Daniel Graham and Tully Banta-Cain getting deals that were much more than they were worth.

You say WOW to that? I know Baseball players get paid alot more than NFL Players... But when AROD get his 30 Million maybe even 40 Million per year... I will be like WOW myself!

Okay, so I was not really around when this guy showed up and started posting, is he for real?

Archived