Gary Sheffield* pulls race card on Torre/Jeter

Jet/BosoxFan

I may not be the most popular guy on the board but I'll bet the house that most posters here think I'm a hell of a lot more rational than you are.

Nah, you're not most popular but you're a pretty cool poster, and I respect your arguments, but definetly agree here.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats why Sheffroid* is in Detroit now. Believe me, he'd be playing 1st base in NY if the Yankees wanted him back for another $13 million per year.

Does anyone remember the meeting that Sheff and Cash had, where Sheff came out happy as a school girl? He said the the Yanks intended to pick up his $13 million option. The very same day Cash came out and said that that was not the conversation and that Sheff must have misunderstood.

If he hated it in NY so much, why was he so happy about the perceived option pickup? I guess for $13 million, he'll eat ****. At least we know at what price Gary can be bought.

Bosox --

I deleted the negative rep you just left for Gainzo. It said:

suck my **** you FAGGOT!!!

Gainzo has shown more class than you are apparently capable of. This shouldn't surprise me. Sadly it does.

Bosox --

Gainzo has shown more class than you are apparently capable of. This shouldn't surprise me. Sadly it does.

Bosox gets pawned by Max AGAIN in this thread..haha!

Now Kenny Lofton is opening his trap about Torre.

Guess what Lofton.........you absolutely sucked while you were with the Yanks! You weren't even worthy of wearing the pinstripes!

Lofton: Sheff is right on Joe

Posted Sunday, July 15th 2007, 4:00 AM

ST. PETERSBURG - Gary Sheffield isn't the only player who feels Joe Torre treated black players differently than white players, as Sheffield's former teammate, Kenny Lofton, chimed in with his thoughts yesterday before his Rangers played in Anaheim.

Lofton, who played for Torre in 2004, concurred with Sheffield's assessment of the Yankee manager and his attitude toward African-American players.

"All I can say is, Sheffield knows what he's talking about," Lofton told The Associated Press when asked to respond to Sheffield's comments about Torre. "That's all I'm going to say."

Lofton's one-year tenure in pinstripes was a tumultuous one, as he was signed to a two-year deal by George Steinbrenner to hit leadoff and replace Bernie Williams in center field, only to have Torre declare the job an open competition in spring training.

During the team's season-opening trip to Japan that March, Lofton griped about being batting ninth in the opener despite the fact that he hit .174 with no steals during spring training. "He's the manager. He makes the lineup and that's it. I can't make that decision," Lofton said at the time. "I can't take that pen out of his hand. The pen is mightier than the sword."

Lofton hit .275 with three homers, 18 RBI and seven stolen bases in 83 games for the Yankees that season, batting leadoff in 41 of those contests. He was traded to the Phillies that December for reliever Felix Rodriguez.

Guess what Lofton.........you absolutely sucked while you were with the Yanks! You weren't even worthy of wearing the pinstripes!

ST. PETERSBURG - Gary Sheffield isn't the only player who feels Joe Torre treated black players differently than white players, as Sheffield's former teammate, Kenny Lofton, chimed in with his thoughts yesterday before his Rangers played in Anaheim.

Lofton, who played for Torre in 2004, concurred with Sheffield's assessment of the Yankee manager and his attitude toward African-American players.

"All I can say is, Sheffield knows what he's talking about," Lofton told The Associated Press when asked to respond to Sheffield's comments about Torre. "That's all I'm going to say."

Lofton's one-year tenure in pinstripes was a tumultuous one, as he was signed to a two-year deal by George Steinbrenner to hit leadoff and replace Bernie Williams in center field, only to have Torre declare the job an open competition in spring training.

During the team's season-opening trip to Japan that March, Lofton griped about being batting ninth in the opener despite the fact that he hit .174 with no steals during spring training. "He's the manager. He makes the lineup and that's it. I can't make that decision," Lofton said at the time. "I can't take that pen out of his hand. The pen is mightier than the sword."

Lofton hit .275 with three homers, 18 RBI and seven stolen bases in 83 games for the Yankees that season, batting leadoff in 41 of those contests. He was traded to the Phillies that December for reliever Felix Rodriguez.

Now that I thought about it, none of us are in real position to debate this matter.

As none of us (i'm assuming) have ever been in the Yankees clubhouse during gametime, or spring training.

You know, guys like Chili Davis,Tim Raines, Daryl Strawberry never had a problem with Torre. it figures that two douchebag attention whores sheffield and Lofton are playing pile on.

One thing that really pisses me off-Jeter is a human being. But Shef puts on his amatuer anthropologist hat and determines he's only "half black". Even though he grew up in Michigan and New Jersey, I'd bet a serious sum that Jeter, in a biracial family, had a much less pleasant coming of age than Sheffield, who's uncle, Doc Gooden, was a MLB god while he was growing up. I'd also note Torre and the Yankees gave said uncle chance after chance to straighten up and fly right, but he still even now goes back to being a druggie.

Again, why did the supposed racist Torre play Hayes over Boggs?

Why did he as Mets manager have Bob Gibson as his pitching coach and friend?

Why in 1996 did he play Fielder over Tino?

I understand that he and Randolph were not close when Willie was on the Yankees staff, but they seem to make enough commercials together. Being called racist by a lying self-serving d-bag like Sheffield is almost a badge of honor.

Lofton is another guy at the end of his career who diden't get that his skills were eroded. It's Torre's fault that he saw that?

Strawberry to the rescuse

July 15, 2007 -- A legendary former Yankee with a bad-boy reputation came to the defense of his former skipper yesterday and said ex-Bomber Gary Sheffield was way off base when he claimed that Joe Torre treated black players differently than their white teammates.

Darryl Strawberry, who played five seasons on one of the most dominating Yankees clubs in history, spoke glowingly of his time under the future Hall of Fame manager.

"Joe Torre was great to me," he said yesterday. "I had a great relationship with Joe and still have that today."

Of Sheffield's bombshell claims that black players "had an issue with Joe Torre" and that they "weren't treated like everybody else," Strawberry, 45, was stunned:

"I don't know anything about that."

----------

As to Lofton, another universally known-jackass in baseball circles. He is just upset that Torre would not play him in CF over a Yankee Legend in Bernie Williams.

Thanks for the negative rep. Much appreciated. I really enjoyed your comment:

suck my **** you FAGGOT!!!

Someone get this man a cold beer. POTM !!!

:Nuts:

As for Sheff, he is a sad individual. He can go enjoy posting his numbers up this year. He was a windmill for us last year when he was needed to be clutch. If he can't handle the fact that he stunk up the joint, too bad. I think HE might be the racist one. In case you people don't know.....there are racist black people too. I tink he has a problem with latino players.

I stopped reading there.

Bosox --

:Nuts:

So Im caught? How do we tell who sends us negative rep comments? Because I have alot of doozies as well and since its commonplace to LITERALLY run crying to the mods, maybe I'll do the same.

So I just checked the logs. People did call you a moron and a douche but nothing as bad as what you sent to Gainzo.

What I find really funny is Bill Parcells saying you need more rep consistently and bringing you down by like 280 and Thor saying you need more rep daily and that only brings you up by like 100.

LOL, Thor as a mod has less power. I wonder if that is because his name didn't show in the bottom of the screen. Street cred is obviously part of the criteria.

LOL, Thor as a mod has less power. I wonder if that is because his name didn't show in the bottom of the screen. Street cred is obviously part of the criteria.

Wierd, my rep is as high as yours, but I can only add 100 points. Must be a failsafe built into the system, as we don't have to wait to spread it around.

If he's such a racist, why did he all during 1996 and 1997 habitually play the inferior Charlies Hayes over HoFer Wade Boggs?

Hayes caught the last out of the '96 series.

That was easily one of the greatest WS ever. So many great stories behind such a cast of characters- Strawberry, Cecil Fielder, Jimmy Leyritz, Wade Boggs, Jimmy Key, Oneil, Jeter and Bernie....

So Im caught? How do we tell who sends us negative rep comments? Because I have alot of doozies as well and since its commonplace to LITERALLY run crying to the mods, maybe I'll do the same.

hahahaha! you're a whining biatch!!!lol!

You need more rep!

It's pretty easy to see your rep. If you can't figure that one out then your computer skills are sub-par.

I'm not sure who has gone crying to the mods, but it certainly wasn't me.

Gary Sheffield, as always, doesn't know what he is talking about. How come this is the first time we've ever heard anything like this come out of an ex Yankee who was black that played under Torre? Piss off Sheff, thanks for nothing! As for Kenny Lofton's comments, I simply "lol" and say, who the **** are you? Some scrub center fielder who didn't deserve to lick the dirt off of the Yankee Stadium parking garages.

Wierd, my rep is as high as yours, but I can only add 100 points. Must be a failsafe built into the system, as we don't have to wait to spread it around.

Keep rep'ing Bosox and you will have to wait, lol!

The post count (Max's is higher) gives you a bigger rep hammer. keep posting Thor! haha

So I just checked the logs. People did call you a moron and a douche but nothing as bad as what you sent to Gainzo.

What I find really funny is Bill Parcells saying you need more rep consistently and bringing you down by like 280 and Thor saying you need more rep daily and that only brings you up by like 100.

HAHAHA! POTW nom!

Classic Sheff...

Open mouth, insert foot.

It is kind of ironic that guys like Womack, Lofton and Sheff were probably three of the biggest malcontents in the Yankee clubhouse during the Torre era it would not surprise me that Torre ripped into them. I would also not be suprised if the following white players were ripped in the locker room by Torre.

1) Chad Curtis: For his comments about Jeter during the Yankee-Mariner brawl a few years back.

2) Jeff Nelson: His obssesion with curve ball, which was stated many times in the local papers.

3) Kyle Farnsworth: For his comments this year about Clemens coming back and his overall general suckiness.

Playing for Torre would seem to be very simple.

1) Play Hard

2) Keep your mouth shut

Hey maybe I'm wrong but it is sure going to make the next Tigers-Yankees series interesting.

Gary Sheffield, as always, doesn't know what he is talking about. How come this is the first time we've ever heard anything like this come out of an ex Yankee who was black that played under Torre? Piss off Sheff, thanks for nothing! As for Kenny Lofton's comments, I simply "lol" and say, who the **** are you? Some scrub center fielder who didn't deserve to lick the dirt off of the Yankee Stadium parking garages.

Lofton is a 6 time All-Star with 4 Gold Glove Awards, six 50+ SB seasons , 10 years with a average over .300 and multiple play-off appearances. If you were following the Yanks and baseball 96-2000 as you say, you'd know that. Sports writing 101, know your subject.

To be fair, Torre totally misused Lofton. I didnt understand it at the time and I dont understand it now.

Torre definitely didnt like Lofton, that is for sure. Its the only reason why he didnt start every day in CF like he should have.

Lofton is a 6 time All-Star with 4 Gold Glove Awards, six 50+ SB seasons , 10 years with a average over .300 and multiple play-off appearances. If you were following the Yanks and baseball 96-2000 as you say, you'd know that. Sports writing 101, know your subject.

Unfortunately none of those things happened while he was a Yankee, cuz he sucked for us.

To be fair, Torre totally misused Lofton. I didnt understand it at the time and I dont understand it now.

Torre definitely didnt like Lofton, that is for sure. Its the only reason why he didnt start every day in CF like he should have.

Wasn't there a guy named Bernie Williams on the team?

Archived