Worst thing to ever happen to Music?

drago

I vote rap. It started off good with tupac, B.I.G., and maybe a few others. but since then it has produced a few flashes in the pan, otherwise just a bunch of mindless crap.

"move b!tch get out the way, get out the way"

"lean back, lean back, lean back..."

"got a full tank of unleaded..."

"you's a fine mutha f()cka, won't you back dat azz up" <----- are you freakin kidding???? :rl:

can these guys actually read? how about putting together a rational thought that doesn't involve shooting someone, or getting high at a party. IDK, to me it sounds like utter crap, and i'm offended whenever i see someone wasting their mind on something so lame, and methodical.

I keep hearing "you just don't listen to the beat". the beat? are you kidding? they are using some type of a clapping machine in every song, and calling that 'rhythm'.

What an absolute joke of an industry.

yes sir, but i think you agree at least a bit?

Somewhat. I liked the concept of rap back in the day when it wasn't (as everything now is) corporate. NWA and Run DMC had some good **** to say. There's too much emphasis on the bling lifestyle today and "gangster rap" is long outdated and now racially harmful.

I love how ALL Hip-Hop gets classified as thug,gangsta music that degrades woman.

You can take any Genre of music and find something bad in it. You can also find good music too.

You don't like rap about bitches,cars of bling ,bling....Check out Common,Talib Kweli , Kanye West,Lupe Fiasco,The Roots and many others.

It is ignorant to smash an entire genre of music because you might not like it.

Quite Frankly I'm offended.

You left out "Shake that Laffy Taffy" and "Wipe Me Down".

I was struggling to remember four lines of that stuff. i had to ask the lady friend for help remembering what is played at bars or whatever.

I sort of live in the ghetto, so i hear the cars rolling by blaring the crap, maybe that explains my disdain :).

I vote rap. It started off good with tupac, B.I.G., and maybe a few others. but since then it has produced a few flashes in the pan, otherwise just a bunch of mindless crap.

"move b!tch get out the way, get out the way"

"lean back, lean back, lean back..."

"got a full tank of unleaded..."

"you's a fine mutha f()cka, won't you back dat azz up" <----- are you freakin kidding???? :rl:

can these guys actually read? how about putting together a rational thought that doesn't involve shooting someone, or getting high at a party. IDK, to me it sounds like utter crap, and i'm offended whenever i see someone wasting their mind on something so lame, and methodical.

I keep hearing "you just don't listen to the beat". the beat? are you kidding? they are using some type of a clapping machine in every song, and calling that 'rhythm'.

What an absolute joke of an industry.

Rap started with the Sugar Hill Gang back in the early '80s and then RUN DMC broke through in the mid '80s and changed the landscape forever. Dre's Chronic album in the early 90's was unbelievable.

As a teenager in those days I loved rap. Nowadays I don't listen to it very much because of the facts you have stated.

It doesn't help that the only radio station up here that played real rap was bought out last year and now plays the likes of Disturbed and Nickleback.

Somewhat. I liked the concept of rap back in the day when it wasn't (as everything now is) corporate. NWA and Run DMC had some good **** to say. There's too much emphasis on the bling lifestyle today and "gangster rap" is long outdated and now racially harmful.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF CONCIOUS RAPPERS WITH SOMETHING TO SAY...HOWEVER THEY GET NO PT BECAUSE RADIO STATIONS AND MTV AND BET ALL PROMOTE THE SAME THINGS.

I love how ALL Hip-Hop gets classified as thug,gangsta music that degrades woman.

You can take any Genre of music and find something bad in it. You can also find good music too.

You don't like rap about bitches,cars of bling ,bling....Check out Common,Talib Kweli , Kanye West,Lupe Fiasco,The Roots and many others.

It is ignorant to smash an entire genre of music because you might not like it.

I agree with you. There are artists in every genre who write good stuff, and artists in every genre who write crap. As a rule though, I feel like the artists you just listed are in the minority.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF CONCIOUS RAPPERS WITH SOMETHING TO SAY...HOWEVER THEY GET NO PT BECAUSE RADIO STATIONS AND MTV AND BET ALL PROMOTE THE SAME THINGS.

Again, you are right. The rappers that have something to say all have something to say about the status quo and about the oppression of African Americans. The problem with getting that put on the radio? White people, not black people, are the overwhelming consumers of rap music (and it goes without saying who comprises the corporations that sell the stuff). To allow the meaningful music in this genre to get to the mainstream would be self destructive to these corporations.

That's exactly why i don't like it. A lot of people could argue that rock and roll sucks lately, its only because the good stuff stays underground.

So the lady friend is sort of arguing with me for being ignorant too (whoops...haha). She put this song on...

"f()ck you lucy" Atmosphere

Its not bad, so maybe if there were better songs more readily accessible i wouldn't be so quick to hate whats being played at bars.

I agree with you. There are artists in every genre who write good stuff, and artists in every genre who write crap. As a rule though, I feel like the artists you just listed are in the minority.

Unfortuantly conscious rap is the minority. Record company's push and promote things that will make money. They cater to the youth of America and that is why we are bombarded with mainstream bling,bling ****.

Look at rock & roll...How many good quality bands get no Burn on the radio because people want to hear the ****ing Goo-Goo Dolls or some nonsense like that?

You get the good with the bad but to call all Hip-Hop a trash is ignorant. IMHO.

Unfortuantly conscious rap is the minority. Record company's push and promote things that will make money. They cater to the youth of America and that is why we are bombarded with mainstream bling,bling ****.

Look at rock & roll...How many good quality bands get no Burn on the radio because people want to hear the ****ing Goo-Goo Dolls or some nonsense like that?

You get the good with the bad but to call all Hip-Hop a trash is ignorant. IMHO.

More good points... you know exactly what you're talking about

However, the only difference between the ****ty rap and the ****ty rock that gets played on the radio is that the ****ty rock is not hurting anyone.... aside from the occasional ear.

However, the only difference between the ****ty rap and the ****ty rock that gets played on the radio is that the ****ty rock is not hurting anyone.... aside from the occasional ear.

Nickelback is sure hurting my eardrums!

But how far do we take that? Does Bill Gates = Suge Knight? I mean Video games and violent movies are just as harmful to the youth of America as Hip-Hop.

But how far do we take that? Does Bill Gates = Suge Knight? I mean Video games and violent movies are just as harmful to the youth of America as Hip-Hop.

It depends on how you look at it...I could really give a **** what Tipper Gore is saying is "corrupting America's youth". I grew up in that culture and am none the worse for wear.

When I'm talking harmful, I'm more talking about the reinforcement of black stereotypes that [a lot of] rap has resulted in.

the worst thing IMO is music video-it made it more important for looks and youth to be the reason someone gets signed thus putting actual talent way down on the list-that's why we get groups like 98 degrees, Brittany Spears, Jessica Simpson that kind of crap

My 2 cents:

I grew up on hard rock and heavy metal. It's the only thing I would listen to as a teenager. Metallica, Slayer, Van Halen, Def Leppard, AC/DC.......the list goes on and on. Anything other then those types of music absolutely SUCKED in my world. I was a very close-minded person when it came to what I thought was good music.

Then I signed up for audio engineering school in my early 20's. I still had the same narrow-minded view of things. But then I was exposed, like it or not, to everything and anything under the sun. In one class, we would sit behind the glass in the control room and we would have to record different amateur musicians as our assignment. I remember this gospel/r&b group came in (I think the singer won amateur night at the Apollo). Anyway, once the tape rolled, I was blown away. These guys nailed it on their first take. They were so talented. But what got me is their passion for what they were doing. The whole class got into it, taking turns on the console, making our own personal mixes. Every week thereafter, a different genre of musicians would come in and record. Jazz, pop, hip-hop, rock, you name it. I just remember being excited to go to that class every week, to possibly be exposed to a new angle on music.

From that day on, my music library has diversified. Slayer, Jimmy Buffett, Yanni, Dave Matthews, Moby, Andrea Bocelli, Eric Clapton, Keith Urban, Seal, Enigma, Wilco, Dave Koz, Public Enemy, etc.

So when I see people that say "oh that music sucks", it just sounds like an ignorant statement. You may not care for it, but at least respect it and just move on. And don't be afraid to open your ears to new types of music, because you might be surprised.

the worst thing IMO is music video-it made it more important for looks and youth to be the reason someone gets signed thus putting actual talent way down on the list-that's why we get groups like 98 degrees, Brittany Spears, Jessica Simpson that kind of crap

Bingo...prepackaged Pop acts. That **** is trash.

My 2 cents:

I grew up on hard rock and heavy metal. It's the only thing I would listen to as a teenager. Metallica, Slayer, Van Halen, Def Leppard, AC/DC.......the list goes on and on. Anything other then those types of music absolutely SUCKED in my world. I was a very close-minded person when it came to what I thought was good music.

Then I signed up for audio engineering school in my early 20's. I still had the same narrow-minded view of things. But then I was exposed, like it or not, to everything and anything under the sun. In one class, we would sit behind the glass in the control room and we would have to record different amateur musicians as our assignment. I remember this gospel/r&b group came in (I think the singer won amateur night at the Apollo). Anyway, once the tape rolled, I was blown away. These guys nailed it on their first take. They were so talented. But what got me is their passion for what they were doing. The whole class got into it, taking turns on the console, making our own personal mixes. Every week thereafter, a different genre of musicians would come in and record. Jazz, pop, hip-hop, rock, you name it. I just remember being excited to go to that class every week, to possibly be exposed to a new angle on music.

From that day on, my music library has diversified. Slayer, Jimmy Buffett, Yanni, Dave Matthews, Moby, Andrea Bocelli, Eric Clapton, Keith Urban, Seal, Enigma, Wilco, Dave Koz, Public Enemy, etc.

So when I see people that say "oh that music sucks", it just sounds like an ignorant statement. You may not care for it, but at least respect it and just move on. And don't be afraid to open your ears to new types of music, because you might be surprised.

Word up!

I have a pretty diverse palate for the most part as well... two of my favorite groups ever are the Temptations and the four Tops... I love soul!

My 2 cents:

Great post. I like all kinds of music.

BTW: Here is the best Def Leppard song.

VZ5bS3_BCDs

Archived