Congrads Cubs

madmike1

Thanks, as always, for your expert analysis Mikey - but I don't see how a .298 life time BA, 3 time all star who has the 10th best OBP for a catcher in the history of the game and strikes out >10% of his plate appearances is a bad move. Especially when the A's give us money and and take the Padre's old 2nd string catcher in return.

I'll defer to your vast knowledge of the game though and lay awake tonight thinking of how we got hosed.

Thanks, as always, for your expert analysis Mikey - but I don't see how a .298 life time BA, 3 time all star who has the 10th best OBP for a catcher in the history of the game and strikes out >10% of his plate appearances is a bad move. Especially when the A's give us money and and take the Padre's old 2nd string catcher in return.

I'll defer to your vast knowledge of the game though and lay awake tonight thinking of how we got hosed.

I'm not disputing his career numbers but RIGHT NOW he's horrible player and he's old.

Yeah, he's having a really bad year so far, not suprising he was cheap.

I defy anyone to say Billy Beane isn't a great GM. He traded the worst regular player in baseball this year and he got a 24 year old starter prospect back.

I defy anyone to say Billy Beane isn't a great GM. He traded the worst regular player in baseball this year and he got a 24 year old starter prospect back.

Billy Beane isn't a great GM. he hasn't won ****.

I'm not disputing his career numbers but RIGHT NOW he's horrible player and he's old.

He's 33 and has also 162 career steals. I'm not saying he's in his prime but it's nice to have a lead-off hitter in the 8 slot. He'll be the primary and swap a little time with that kid Soto that we just brought up that was batting .341 in AAA. I'll be surprised if he finishes under .280 and will be on base a lot for the top of the order. He's a solid pitch caller and good defensive backstop with a good arm. He's not done at 33.

He's 33 and has also 162 career steals. I'm not saying he's in his prime but it's nice to have a lead-off hitter in the 8 slot. He'll be the primary and swap a little time with that kid Soto that we just brought up that was batting .341 in AAA. I'll be surprised if he finishes under .280 and will be on base a lot for the top of the order. He's a solid pitch caller and good defensive backstop with a good arm. He's not done at 33.

Play the kid then. There is nothing that a 260s OBP player does for your team that can outweigh that. What about "he won't be on base?" don't you understand heh. He has a 260s OBP. Thats worse than Wil Nieves.

I'll say it again. The playoffs are a crapshoot. He wins 95 games every year with a small market team.

I'll say it again, so what? I thought Bobby Cox sucked as a manager, he should have won a lot more than 1 WS with that loaded Braves team. they lost in the playoffs consistently, but won the regular season title every year and were happy about it. :rolleyes:

Play the kid then. There is nothing that a 260s OBP player does for your team that can outweigh that. What about "he won't be on base?" don't you understand heh. He has a 260s OBP. Thats worse than Wil Nieves.

I understand that arguing with the expert opinion that you pull out of your rectal cavity is similar to the sound of one hand clapping. If you'd care to wager on what Kendall ends the season at in OBP - I'm down for any reasonable offering.

I'll say it again, so what? I thought Bobby Cox sucked as a manager, he should have won a lot more than 1 WS with that loaded Braves team. they lost in the playoffs consistently, but won the regular season title every year and were happy about it. :rolleyes:

If you are going to put down the fact that the a's win 95 games and are in playoff contention EVERY YEAR with a low payroll then i don't think you understand how hard that is. Teams spend huge amounts of money and don't even make the playoffs for years.

If you are going to put down the fact that the a's win 95 games and are in playoff contention EVERY YEAR with a low payroll then i don't think you understand how hard that is. Teams spend huge amounts of money and don't even make the playoffs for years.

I will take Terry Ryan in that case.

Billy Beane is the geeks dream GM, because he gives hope for the number geeks everywhere.

It just has not worked out as a big payday for him.

Moneyball was a commentary on ego.

No. It was about how someone was able to come along and exploit the fact that some people in the game still had 1930's baseball knowledge and ideas about player valuation.

I don't know anything about the prospect we gave up, and I really don't want to know.

Total Hendry panic move. Kendall is awful. I am sure we could have got equal or better production from Hill/Soto/Bowen without giving up a prospect. Kendall has 6 home runs in the past FOUR years. Holy ****, that is awesome. Good job, Jimmy. We are really going places now.

I don't know anything about the prospect we gave up, and I really don't want to know.

Total Hendry panic move. Kendall is awful. I am sure we could have got equal or better production from Hill/Soto/Bowen without giving up a prospect. Kendall has 6 home runs in the past FOUR years. Holy ****, that is awesome. Good job, Jimmy. We are really going places now.

He's been a lead-off hitter a lot of his career Troll and just looks to get on base. If he doesn't come out of his slump or is totally out of gas then it's a bad move. I think the shot in the arm of getting back to the NL and at Wrigley will see him put up good numbers and give us a boost at the bottom of the line-up. He still puts the ball in play - while having the worst 1st half in his career - he's only got 27 K's in 292 AB's. Could be wrong, but I think this one will turn out good for us.

He's been a lead-off hitter a lot of his career Troll and just looks to get on base. If he doesn't come out of his slump or is totally out of gas then it's a bad move. I think the shot in the arm of getting back to the NL and at Wrigley will see him put up good numbers and give us a boost at the bottom of the line-up. He still puts the ball in play - while having the worst 1st half in his career - he's only got 27 K's in 292 AB's. Could be wrong, but I think this one will turn out good for us.

I am not so sure Kendall putting the ball in play all the time is such a good thing. His startling lack of power and average tell me that he probably hits a lot of ground balls, unless he is just the unluckiest son of a bitch in the world. That means that, rather than make one out by K'ing, Jason will make 2 instead.

I guess will see about this one. Kendall has been on the decline for years now and it looks to me like he might finally be gassed. Hopefully, that isn't the case, but I don't have high hopes for him.

BTW, here are the numbers on the pitcher we gave up for him:

53 IP, 69 Ks, 36 H, 1.02 ERA, .190 BAA, 1 HR

And he's a lefty.

The prospect is a B level guy. I agree with everything else you said. This move makes no sense.

I am not so sure Kendall putting the ball in play all the time is such a good thing. His startling lack of power and average tell me that he probably hits a lot of ground balls, unless he is just the unluckiest son of a bitch in the world. That means that, rather than make one out by K'ing, Jason will make 2 instead.

I guess will see about this one. Kendall has been on the decline for years now and it looks to me like he might finally be gassed. Hopefully, that isn't the case, but I don't have high hopes for him.

BTW, here are the numbers on the pitcher we gave up for him:

53 IP, 69 Ks, 36 H, 1.02 ERA, .190 BAA, 1 HR

And he's a lefty.

I saw the numbers on that kid but I've never heard of him till tonight. Actually, the Smokies site has him at a 1.53 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP - but he's still got 37 K's in 29 IP against 8 walks - all in relief. Absolutely his best year in organized ball as he was well over a 5 point in all his A league work and 6 innings with the Smokies last year.

I hear you on the thought of Kendall getting doubled up - but he's only hit into 7 all year - for a cather he's still pretty quick on his feet. With all the years of double piano on their back catchers we've had (see Damien Miller) Kendall may be a breath of fresh air in that respect. I'm just happy to see them continue to build confidence in the fact they can score and win. Hell - thats 2 days in a row Bobby Howrey took the ball to close and we didn't end up with an L. Yesterday both Howrey and Eyre touched the ball and we still won. It's getting scary.

I saw the numbers on that kid but I've never heard of him till tonight. Actually, the Smokies site has him at a 1.53 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP - but he's still got 37 K's in 29 IP against 8 walks - all in relief. Absolutely his best year in organized ball as he was well over a 5 point in all his A league work and 6 innings with the Smokies last year.

I hear you on the thought of Kendall getting doubled up - but he's only hit into 7 all year - for a cather he's still pretty quick on his feet. With all the years of double piano on their back catchers we've had (see Damien Miller) Kendall may be a breath of fresh air in that respect. I'm just happy to see them continue to build confidence in the fact they can score and win. Hell - thats 2 days in a row Bobby Howrey took the ball to close and we didn't end up with an L. Yesterday both Howrey and Eyre touched the ball and we still won. It's getting scary.

I saw those numbers for the reliever on a Cubs forum. I guess I should have checked them for accuracy. It makes the trade more bearable since the dude has not put up the insane numbers I posted. Before yesterday, I had never heard of the guy either.

I'm shocked to see how well things have gone with the pen lately. They really haven't missed a step since Dempster was injured. That was a huge game for Rich Hill yesterday. Hopefully he can get hot again. Now, if only Marquis would pitch semi-adequately, we'd have a hell of a staff.

Archived