Giants sign Chris Patrick

flgreen

Giants Sign Supplemental Draft Prospect PatrickJuly 18th, 2007 by Gary Grund

According to theStar-Ledger, the New York Giants have signed supplemental undrafted offensive lineman Chris Patrick of Nebraska. Big Blue signed Patrick to a two-year contract at league minimum salary.

The New York Jets were reportedly interested in Patrick if he went undrafted in the Supplemental Draft with the Pete Kendall issue still up in the air. The Jets were looking to bring him in for a workout in the future, however he had an impressive workout with the Giants today and signed with them.

Eric & Co. are happy with who they already have on the team? Possibly CLARKE, AJ, the kid from NFLE( CRS-lol) Goodard. Maybe they will not lose Kendall? ( I hope they do) I also wonder why we are so interested in WRs when we need a roadgrader. There are still a few good fFREE AGENTS (OGs)available. COZY COLEMAN is one I'd be interested in.

The Giants didn't give up even a 7th - just signed him as a free agent. How hard would that have been for the Jets to do? Maybe their thinking is that their off season O.T.A.s and such are so important to team building that they didn't want to bring someone in after that process had started. They must have a lot of confidence in their new bunch of O-linemen (Bender, Clarke, Turner, Wicker and Moran).

This kind of pisses me off. If simple fans can see we need some more o linemen, how come the coaching staff can't. They better have something up their sleeve.

Maybe they don't like this kid that much. They have enough crappy linemen. The Giants really cleaned house. There are a lot of openings over there. The Jets need quality run blockers on the O-line, they don't need more bodies for camp.

Maybe they don't like this kid that much. They have enough crappy linemen. The Giants really cleaned house. There are a lot of openings over there. The Jets need quality run blockers on the O-line, they don't need more bodies for camp.

Agree. If they wanted him, they could have signed him. No biggie.

With Kendall situation unclear the Jets are open for second guessing to not try to bring him in. They must like as others said here the young guys they have ready for training camp to develop.

I thought the Jets would have signed this guy as well. But, yesterday, I read a article on the internet from a Nebraska paper that said that Patrick had failed a drug test at Nebraska and Coach Callahan was going to have to discipline him. Supposedly, that was the real reason that he left school early. He didn't want to to deal with the fall out. Drugs= No Jets!

I thought the Jets would have signed this guy as well. But, yesterday, I read a article on the internet from a Nebraska paper that said that Patrick had failed a drug test at Nebraska and Coach Callahan was going to have to discipline him. Supposedly, that was the real reason that he left school early. He didn't want to to deal with the fall out. Drugs= No Jets!

Jets already had Patrick in for a workout before the supplemental draft, guess they thought he wasn't worth signing.

Found this on thejetsblog.com

eMailbag: More on Chris Patrick

NUJet wrote an email to explain more about the Chris Patrick situation. As he

This kind of pisses me off. If simple fans can see we need some more o linemen, how come the coaching staff can't. They better have something up their sleeve.

I think we as fans nknow exactly nothing about the talent levels of the guy's they have in camp. we react to hearing Kendall is on the outs and thin we dont have anything to fill his spot (If) He's released. Maybe they are seeing these guy's on a daily basis ; so maybe they know something we dont. I think they will add a veteran before the season starts .

I think the key word in your post was "simple".

I must admit I am very disapointed that they didn't sign him. We have signed a lot of project type players over the lest few months. Why not this guy that seems to fill a need?

I guess I fall in the "simple" bracket. Perhaps there were some character issues, work ethic issues, or maybe the guy is dumb.

Or they think Clarke is the real deal. Just hope they weren't asleep at the switch.

If this guy was signed by the ARizona Cardinals it would have hardly been a mention on here.

Just because its the Giants that signed him it becomes a big deal.

Not true at all. There have been earlier threads about pursuing Chris Patrick. It has been a topic for awhile.

I think the key word in your post was "simple".

I must admit I am very disapointed that they didn't sign him. We have signed a lot of project type players over the lest few months. Why not this guy that seems to fill a need?

I guess I fall in the "simple" bracket. Perhaps there were some character issues, work ethic issues, or maybe the guy is dumb.

Or they think Clarke is the real deal. Just hope they weren't asleep at the switch.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If the guy actually has any character concerns they might not want to mix him in with the rest of the boy scouts. Obviously teams weren't lining up to jump at him since he didn't get drafted and signed for the minimum. He may have preferred the Giants because they have an incumbent G moving to T another G coming off a serious injury and may not have as much depth at the position. He's probably more concerned with whether he has a chance at a roster spot and weak as the Jets may be, they have no fewer than five guys who have started for most of a season looking for a spot at OG. (Kendall, Moore, Smith, Jones, Clarke)

Archived