The Official 'Yankees Need to Get a Real Set-Up Guy' Thread

Barton

Great win tonight, but once again the lack of a true 8th inning man rears its ugly head. I dont know why Bruney was removed for Ron STINKIN' Villone after Bruney got a flyball out, but never-the-less, all these set-up guys we have walk wayyyy too many batters. If I had a dollar for every walk these bums have given up, I could retire at age 18 and move to the bahamas.

Having to bring in Rivera to get 5 outs, and close the game in the 9th with a 5 run lead is only gonna hurt us down the road. We need Rivera to be strictly a 9th inning guy [in the regular season, at least]. We're gonna need him each and every night in a close game from this point on in the season, so we cant afford to waste any bullets in his arm that can otherwise be avoided (by getting a REAL ACTUAL LEGIT 8TH INNING GUY!)

Can Vizcaino be the set up guy? I think right now, he should be. But will Torre actually use him in the 8th inning over complete bums like Farnsworth and Proctor? I dont think so. Torre is clueless like that. And its a shame because Vizcaino ever since fixing his mechanics has been LIGHTS OUT and everything he was supposed to be when we traded for him.

But because Torre is completely clueless on how to manage a bullpen and everyone outside of Vizcaino and Mo are GARBAGE.......we need to get a real 8th inning guy that Torre wont take out of the game for the likes of Proctor, Villone or Bruney, even Myers.

A REAL ACTUAL LEGIT 8th inning set up guy is what we need. No more f***ing around with leggos when what we need is concrete cinder blocks.

Imagine a bullpen of this:

7th inning: Vizcaino

8th inning: REAL SET UP GUY (Eric Gagne, Scott Linebrink etc etc)

9th inning: The Sandman

That makes it a 6 inning game virtually every time we take the field. And more importantly, it relegates Proctor, Bruney, Farnsworth, Myers and Villone to mop up duty and middle relief [WHERE THEY BELONG!].

Swing a deal for Gagne or Linebrink. Both are on the trade block.

PS: Get Farnsworth off the team completely. Trade him for half empty bottles of tap water, old expired bags of potato chips, a bag of balls, I dont care....just get him off the team and start giving Edwar Ramirez some damn innings to pitch! Enough already!

Rumor on NYY.com isthat they're seriously looking to just bring up Chamberlain from Trentaon and install him ASAP. Not a Torre type move. I think problem is the Yanks are doing business differently, more inclinjed to look in house form their own prospects then deal them for veteran rentals.The way Torre ignores Ramirez is kinda distressing. Kid did nothing wrong other than being a rookie.

PS: Get Farnsworth off the team completely. Trade him for half empty bottles of tap water, old expired bags of potato chips, a bag of balls, I dont care....just get him off the team

I agree with that 100%..that POS should have been jettisoned long ago..

If the Yankees had an adequate 5th starter I would say put Hughes in the set up roll for the rest of the year when he comes back..but that Igawa sucks ass.

Bruney will be that guy eventually, as soon as he learns to consistently throw strikes. Bru is dirty.

When he starts throwing strikes, let me know.

Bugg: I heard that rumor too. Not sure thats the greatest idea for his arm but it might work. Chamberlains stuff is nasty, but his control isnt that great either.

Over the past six weeks or so Vizcainos ERA is under 1.00...that'll do.

Manager Joe Torre said Wednesday that he's considering removing Kyle Farnsworth as Mariano Rivera's primary setup man.

If Farnsworth gets demoted to middle relief, Luis Vizcaino figures to take over eighth-inning duties. "I think we're going to have to sit and think about it," Torre said.

Source: New York Times

Great win tonight, but once again the lack of a true 8th inning man rears its ugly head. I dont know why Bruney was removed for Ron STINKIN' Villone after Bruney got a flyball out, but never-the-less, all these set-up guys we have walk wayyyy too many batters. If I had a dollar for every walk these bums have given up, I could retire at age 18 and move to the bahamas.

Having to bring in Rivera to get 5 outs, and close the game in the 9th with a 5 run lead is only gonna hurt us down the road. We need Rivera to be strictly a 9th inning guy [in the regular season, at least]. We're gonna need him each and every night in a close game from this point on in the season, so we cant afford to waste any bullets in his arm that can otherwise be avoided (by getting a REAL ACTUAL LEGIT 8TH INNING GUY!)

Can Vizcaino be the set up guy? I think right now, he should be. But will Torre actually use him in the 8th inning over complete bums like Farnsworth and Proctor? I dont think so. Torre is clueless like that. And its a shame because Vizcaino ever since fixing his mechanics has been LIGHTS OUT and everything he was supposed to be when we traded for him.

But because Torre is completely clueless on how to manage a bullpen and everyone outside of Vizcaino and Mo are GARBAGE.......we need to get a real 8th inning guy that Torre wont take out of the game for the likes of Proctor, Villone or Bruney, even Myers.

A REAL ACTUAL LEGIT 8th inning set up guy is what we need. No more f***ing around with leggos when what we need is concrete cinder blocks.

Imagine a bullpen of this:

7th inning: Vizcaino

8th inning: REAL SET UP GUY (Eric Gagne, Scott Linebrink etc etc)

9th inning: The Sandman

That makes it a 6 inning game virtually every time we take the field. And more importantly, it relegates Proctor, Bruney, Farnsworth, Myers and Villone to mop up duty and middle relief [WHERE THEY BELONG!].

Swing a deal for Gagne or Linebrink. Both are on the trade block.

PS: Get Farnsworth off the team completely. Trade him for half empty bottles of tap water, old expired bags of potato chips, a bag of balls, I dont care....just get him off the team and start giving Edwar Ramirez some damn innings to pitch! Enough already!

I know that Kyle Farnsworth blows...but what do the Yankees NEED to do anything for?

They might as well call up the entire AAA Columbus roster and let a few Staten island Yankees even get some starts in at the Toilet.

The season has been over in the Bronx for months now! WTF will Eric Gagne do for them?

Archived