Have you ever met a famous person you admired?

GREENLANTERN

Have you ever met a famous person you admired? If so tell your story. Here is mine.

My family and I recently had the chance to meet a famous person we admired for a long time. The trip cost us approximately $1400 for the week. We were basically relegated to eating fast food and early rises and late finishes all week while still completing our committments to our regular jobs ie the midnight shifts. Very hectic week to say the least.

So we go to this organized event and wait and wait for three hours in the blazing hot sun for a chance for my three children to get an autograph each from this person and when this person walks over a female cuts in front of my kids to get a autograph picture signed which she gets. My son who is three years old goes up to this person and hands them and item to be signed, the person takes the item from my son and exclaims, "This is dirty pool! You probabally dont even know why you want this, its probabally for someone else". PRETENDS to sign the item hand it back to my son and drive away and exclaim while they are driving away, "NO AUTOGRAPHS". My three year old turns the item over and there is no autograph on it and starts crying.

So that night my wife and I call and complain to the director of the organized event and demand an apology from this person. We schedule a meeting the next day so, "everything can be worked out". We show up and this famous person did not even show up to apologize to three little kids, What a coward. The director apologized to us. And I told him we appreciate your apology very much but this person should be here to apologize. He agreed and offered to get the kids three autographs and I told him that is very nice but the reason we are here is not about the autographs its because of the assanine act by this person and we want an apology, not for us but for our children. He said, "We'll do our best". So he takes our cell phone number and says he will get back to us. Now at the end of the week no call yet. So we ask him, "Whats up"? He then tells us the person remembers the incident and it may take a couple of weeks to get an apology letter and the three autographs.

Now we are waiting for this. The autographs will go in the trash as I will not let my children keep them. We are not fans of this person anymore. But hopefully this person has the class to write the letter themselves and not rubber stamp it. But we are not holding our breath. As for me, I am an average guy who is a self made man. I dont want a thing from anyone. And if I were famous and someone wanted an autograph from me. I dont care if I have signed a million autographs in my lifetime. I would sign it especially for kids. Famous peoples celebrity have brought them alot of accolades and perks in their life from their fame and I couldnt imagine looking at signing autographs as menial charity especially for kids. Now also if I were famous and someone wanted my autograph I would be flattered and honored. This person looked at it like a bad thing. And to be honest with you all I was very hurt by this persons actions not for myself but for my children. They learned a hard lesson about life at a very young age that people aren't what you think they are. And famous people dont deserve to be put up on a pedastil we put them on. And this person MOST CERTAINLY doesnt.

As for my kids they got an autograph that day on each of their items that read simply "Daddy loves you". I hope it is better in their eyes than the one they wanted.

Sincerly Lantern

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an unfortunate incident, and I am sorry you and your kids had to suffer that disappointment. And of course I am curious to know who the chump was who let down the kids.

But, as you said, there are important lessons to be learned from it that will make your kids stronger and wiser in the long run.

I remember when I was a kid i went to game four of the 1969 WS at Shea.

I was there early, and saw Tony Kubek, who was one of the announcers at the time. I asked him for his autograph and he basically told me to get lost, he was too busy. So much for that. As you can see, I havent forgotten the incident.

In 1969 i was getting autographs of Mets, Jets, Knicks, Yankees and even a couple of Rangers. No one else dissed me like that. Even Dick Barnett, who was borderline illiterate, made an attmept to sign his name for me.

So, although famous people should not be put on pedestals (and we are guilty of doing it anyway even though we know better) it is important to remember that not everyone who is famous is a jerk, though some are.

So, who was it?

Have you ever met a famous person you admired? If so tell your story. Here is mine.

My family and I recently had the chance to meet a famous person we admired for a long time. The trip cost us approximately $1400 for the week. We were basically relegated to eating fast food and early rises and late finishes all week while still completing our committments to our regular jobs ie the midnight shifts. Very hectic week to say the least.

So we go to this organized event and wait and wait for three hours in the blazing hot sun for a chance for my three children to get an autograph each from this person and when this person walks over a female cuts in front of my kids to get a autograph picture signed which she gets. My son who is three years old goes up to this person and hands him and item to be signed, the person takes the item from my son and exclaims, "This is dirty pool! You probabally dont even know why you want this, its probabally for someone else". PRETENDS to sign the item hand it back to my son and drive away and exclaim while they are driving away, "NO AUTOGRAPHS". My three year old turns the item over and there is no autograph on it and starts crying.

So that night my wife and I call and complain to the director of the organized event and demand an apology from this person. We schedule a meeting the next day so, "everything can be worked out". We show up and this famous person did not even show up to apologize to three little kids, What a coward. The director apologized to us. And I told him we appreciate your apology very much but this person should be here to apologize. He agreed and offered to get the kids three autographs and I told him that is very nice but the reason we are here is not about the autographs its because of the assanine act by this person and we want an apology, not for us but for our children. He said, "We'll do our best". So he takes our cell phone number and says he will get back to us. Now at the end of the week no call yet. So we ask him, "Whats up"? He then tells us the person remembers the incident and it may take a couple of weeks to get an apology letter and the three autographs.

Now we are waiting for this. The autographs will go in the trash as I will not let my children keep them. We are not fans of this person anymore. But hopefully this person has the class to write the letter themselves and not rubber stamp it. But we are not holding our breath. As for me, I am an average guy who is a self made man. I dont want a thing from anyone. And if I were famous and someone wanted an autograph from me. I dont care if I have signed a million autographs in my lifetime. I would sign it especially for kids. Famous peoples celebrity have brought them alot of accolades and perks in their life from their fame and I couldnt imagine looking at signing autographs as menial charity especially for kids. Now also if I were famous and someone wanted my autograph I would be flattered and honored. This person looked at it like a bad thing. And to be honest with you all I was very hurt by this persons actions not for myself but for my children. They learned a hard lesson about life at a very young age that people aren't what you think they are. And famous people dont deserve to be put up on a pedastil we put them on. And this person MOST CERTAINLY doesnt.

As for my kids they got an autograph that day on each of their items that read simply "Daddy loves you". I hope it is better in their eyes than the one they wanted.

Sincerly Lantern

POTW NOM!! Sorry that had to happen to your kids.

It was an unfortunate incident, and I am sorry you and your kids had to suffer that disappointment. And of course I am curious to know who the chump was who let down the kids.

But, as you said, there are important lessons to be learned from it that will make your kids stronger and wiser in the long run.

I was there early, and saw Tony Kubek, who was one of the announcers at the time. I asked him for his autograph and he basically told me to get lost, he was too busy. So much for that. As you can see, I havent forgotten the incident.

In 1969 i was getting autographs of Mets, Jets, Knicks, Yankees and even a couple of Rangers. No one else dissed me like that. Even Dick Barnett, who was borderline illiterate, made an attmept to sign his name for me.

So, although famous people should not be put on pedastels (and we are guilty of doing it anyway even though we know better) it is important to remember that not everyone who is famous is a jerk, though some are.

So, who was it?

oops

I'm wondering why you chose not to disclose this person's identity. It's not like he/she earned that respect.

Very good attention to detail Verde. Here is my reason, Everyone in this world has to have their own opinion of people. And a young fan might read it and their whole perception of that person would be influenced so I chose to take the high road. Hope that is understandable. Sincerly Lantern

On the flip side, I have met Boomer Esiason a couple of times at a Jets camp and a Flag football tournament. He was a great guy, really friendly, signing autographs and horsing around with the kids. I met wesley walker outside Joe Robbie Stadium three years ago. He was just sitting on a bench sipping a brew so my son and I went up to him and started chatting. He was another real nice guy and I think he was happy that we recognized him. After the same game, we saw Curtis Martin by the team buses signing autographs. He didn't crack a smile or engage in any chit chat, but he did stand there and sign.

What?

:shock:

edit:

Well, even if it was Namath, that was still a chump move on his part.

I thought I was PMing you JC but it came out in a reply-I was gonna tell you who GL was talking about-in case he didn't want it known-then I saw it came out already

I thought I was PMing you JC but it came out in a reply-I was gonna tell you who GL was talking about-in case he didn't want it known-then I saw it came out already

Yeah. Well, no one's perfect, even if he is revered by Jets fans.

It's still a good lesson for kids to learn- their parents will always love them more than a stranger will, no matter how famous he may be.

Very good attention to detail Verde. Here is my reason, Everyone in this world has to have their own opinion of people. And a young fan might read it and their whole perception of that person would be influenced so I chose to take the high rode. Hope that is understandable. Sincerly Lantern

You bet. I just hope nobody else has to endure the waste of time and money, let alone face the same disappointment that your family had to. I feel bad for your kids.

Me? I would totally out them! lol

I think it's rotten that this happened to your kids, but it's also pretty lame to tell this story without naming the offender.

What would it solve Bob aside from curiosity. Young fans of the person might read it and there whole perception of that person would be changed so I choose to take the high road. Because having dreams is what makes life tolerable. Hope that is understandable. I would rather hear about others stories about famous people they have met good or bad. That is what this thread is about. Sincerly Lantern

Good thread.

When i was about 5, my sister would have been 6 or 7, we would go watch the yankees everytime they played either the twins or the brewers. It was a 3 hour drive to either park, so we would sometimes spend the night where the Yanks were staying.

The night before the game the Yankees came in and my sister, my dad and me were waiting for them to get some autographs. In walks Deion Sanders, my sister and i had really no idea who he was, but my dad told her to go get his autograph. Not only did he not even glance down at us, but as he stormed past, stepped on her foot and kept going. He's a prick.

Ron Guidry (spelling?) followed Deion in, and my sister was now gun shy of going up to these guys, so my dad encouraged her, "go get his autograph..." She woudln't do it and just buried her face into my dad's leg. Ron heard what my dad said came over, signed the baseball and my ball cap, even though i didn't ask, since i was shy.

My dad spoke with him for a few moments and he was on his way. To this day, i love Ron Guidry, great guy.

What would it solve Bob aside from curiosity. Young fans of the person might read it and there whole perception of that person would be changed so I choose to take the high rode. Hope that is understandable. I would rather hear about others stories about famous people they have met good or bad. That is what this thread is about. Sincerly Lantern

young fans? Was it Barney or somethin? Spill the beans, please.

So, although famous people should not be put on pedestals (and we are guilty of doing it anyway even though we know better) it is important to remember that not everyone who is famous is a jerk, though some are.

So, who was it?

Thanks Jetcane appreciate it. I have met Two famous people who is a class act and he has my respect that would be Curtis Martin. And one of the nicest guys you want to talk to is Bryan Cox.

Good thread.

When i was about 5, my sister would have been 6 or 7, we would go watch the yankees everytime they played either the twins or the brewers. It was a 3 hour drive to either park, so we would sometimes spend the night where the Yanks were staying.

The night before the game the Yankees came in and my sister, my dad and me were waiting for them to get some autographs. In walks Deion Sanders, my sister and i had really no idea who he was, but my dad told her to go get his autograph. Not only did he not even glance down at us, but as he stormed past, stepped on her foot and kept going. He's a prick.

Ron Guidry (spelling?) followed Deion in, and my sister was now gun shy of going up to these guys, so my dad encouraged her, "go get his autograph..." She woudln't do it and just buried her face into my dad's leg. Ron heard what my dad said came over, signed the baseball and my ball cap, even though i didn't ask, since i was shy.

My dad spoke with him for a few moments and he was on his way. To this day, i love Ron Guidry, great guy.

Thanks. I have heard Ron Guidry is a real nice guy on more than one occasion. I'm sorry about how that other fool acted. Like Jetcane said all famous people arent jerks just the ones who are too full of themselves I think.

young fans? Was it Barney or somethin? Spill the beans, please.

Maybe you are on to something, maybe not. LOL But talk it over with SoFla he seems to like the game clue. But maybe it was Colonel Mustard in the Library with the candlestick SoFla. LOL

Maybe you are on to something, maybe not. LOL But talk it over with SoFla he seems to like the game clue. But maybe it was Colonel Mustard in the Library with the candlestick SoFla. LOL

the only way I win any games around this house GL is if I cheat...especially Monopoly...I always would make the dumbest trades with my son when he was younger and pretend he outsmarted me-now I don't have to fake it anymore I am clearly THE biggest dumbass in the house (hizzy?)

Very good attention to detail Verde. Here is my reason, Everyone in this world has to have their own opinion of people. And a young fan might read it and their whole perception of that person would be influenced so I chose to take the high rode. Hope that is understandable. Sincerly Lantern

i remember you started a thread about going to meet joe namath. so i will assume its him. joe namath can be prick sometimes

Archived