Have you ever met a famous person you admired?

GREENLANTERN

I had a good chat with Howie Long & his 2 boys at a local gym here while desperately trying not to gawk at his stunning wife

I've never heard a bad thing about Howie Long or Boomer Esiason so I'm not surprised.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you ever met a famous person you admired? If so tell your story. Here is mine.

My family and I recently had the chance to meet a famous person we admired for a long time. The trip cost us approximately $1400 for the week. We were basically relegated to eating fast food and early rises and late finishes all week while still completing our committments to our regular jobs ie the midnight shifts. Very hectic week to say the least.

So we go to this organized event and wait and wait for three hours in the blazing hot sun for a chance for my three children to get an autograph each from this person and when this person walks over a female cuts in front of my kids to get a autograph picture signed which she gets. My son who is three years old goes up to this person and hands them and item to be signed, the person takes the item from my son and exclaims, "This is dirty pool! You probabally dont even know why you want this, its probabally for someone else". PRETENDS to sign the item hand it back to my son and drive away and exclaim while they are driving away, "NO AUTOGRAPHS". My three year old turns the item over and there is no autograph on it and starts crying.

So that night my wife and I call and complain to the director of the organized event and demand an apology from this person. We schedule a meeting the next day so, "everything can be worked out". We show up and this famous person did not even show up to apologize to three little kids, What a coward. The director apologized to us. And I told him we appreciate your apology very much but this person should be here to apologize. He agreed and offered to get the kids three autographs and I told him that is very nice but the reason we are here is not about the autographs its because of the assanine act by this person and we want an apology, not for us but for our children. He said, "We'll do our best". So he takes our cell phone number and says he will get back to us. Now at the end of the week no call yet. So we ask him, "Whats up"? He then tells us the person remembers the incident and it may take a couple of weeks to get an apology letter and the three autographs.

Now we are waiting for this. The autographs will go in the trash as I will not let my children keep them. We are not fans of this person anymore. But hopefully this person has the class to write the letter themselves and not rubber stamp it. But we are not holding our breath. As for me, I am an average guy who is a self made man. I dont want a thing from anyone. And if I were famous and someone wanted an autograph from me. I dont care if I have signed a million autographs in my lifetime. I would sign it especially for kids. Famous peoples celebrity have brought them alot of accolades and perks in their life from their fame and I couldnt imagine looking at signing autographs as menial charity especially for kids. Now also if I were famous and someone wanted my autograph I would be flattered and honored. This person looked at it like a bad thing. And to be honest with you all I was very hurt by this persons actions not for myself but for my children. They learned a hard lesson about life at a very young age that people aren't what you think they are. And famous people dont deserve to be put up on a pedastil we put them on. And this person MOST CERTAINLY doesnt.

As for my kids they got an autograph that day on each of their items that read simply "Daddy loves you". I hope it is better in their eyes than the one they wanted.

Sincerly Lantern

Greenlantern,

First of all, this gets a POTW NOM, and should get it, or at least get plastered on our front page, along with the offender's name. I don't know if the Jets front office reads our site, but it should go out to the public that one of our own did this, and it shouldn't get brushed aside. Have you written the Jets about this incident? I don't know how far it would go, but it couldn't hurt any.

It is unfortunate that the face of this franchise would do this. I'm not defending him here, but it must be hard to be up on that pedestal every time you go out in public. It's hard work signing all those autographs, smiling for every picture even if you're not in a good mood. Well, guess what....tough ****! You're a freaking millionaire and everyone around you loves you. Step up and do the right thing, Joe, and admit your wrongdoing.

Greenlantern,

First of all, this gets a POTW NOM, and should get it, or at least get plastered on our front page, along with the offender's name. I don't know if the Jets front office reads our site, but it should go out to the public that one of our own did this, and it shouldn't get brushed aside. Have you written the Jets about this incident? I don't know how far it would go, but it couldn't hurt any.

It is unfortunate that the face of this franchise would do this. I'm not defending him here, but it must be hard to be up on that pedestal every time you go out in public. It's hard work signing all those autographs, smiling for every picture even if you're not in a good mood. Well, guess what....tough ****! You're a freaking millionaire and everyone around you loves you. Step up and do the right thing, Joe, and admit your wrongdoing.

Thank You Tabor. Appreciate it man. Sincerly Lantern

You bet. I just hope nobody else has to endure the waste of time and money, let alone face the same disappointment that your family had to. I feel bad for your kids.

Me? I would totally out them! lol

Thanks Verde, I like your attitude maybe we should start negotiations as my son will need an agent when he is selected #1 overall in the 2021 draft. Max already has a greenroom seat!

Have you ever met a famous person you admired?

Sure...three times at least:

Alice Cooper in the soup aisle of the local supermarket in Phoenix Arizona. His soup of choice? Tomato.

Arnold Palmer getting his plane serviced at the shop I worked at as an aviation mechanic. Most personable celebrity anyone could meet.

Ronald Reagan when he made his first unsuccessful run for the Republican nomination in the mid '70's. He asked me for my vote. Too bad I was 16.

I hope your kids enjoyed the football camp. But look at it from this perspective-was it smart to plan you vacation around getting their hopes up for such an encounter? It doesn't excuse the obnoxious behavior. But really, what is the a value of a quickly-scribbled autograph or a 10-second handshake and smile? The market for sport collectibles and autographs has pretty much dried up.

Growing up my brother dated one of the ball girls of the 1986 Mets, and I had a bunch of mutual friends with Chris Mullin. I've been in bars at the same time as members of the Yankees and Rangers. Without generalizing or putting too fine a point on it, unless you're a hot female or can put money in their pocket, why would you expect much from them at all? In the day in the old country, some female poster complained about how she had her driven for hours to have children stake out the Yankees' road hotel and how dissappointed she was when they blew her off. And I and many posters wondered why she would do that in the first place.

When I go to camp every year with the tyke, they have retired and current players ready to sign and and meet and greet every day of camp. And I've never once bothered to have me or my son wait in that long boring line. I just don't see the point. There's so much other sutff to do and watch, why bother?

I'm not knocking you at all. But I think you learned a harsh lesson. Watch the games, enjoy the season. There may be some of these guys that are real princes, but I wouldn't count on it.

I hope your kids enjoyed the football camp. But look at it from this perspective-was it smart to plan you vacation around getting their hopes up for such an encounter? It doesn't excuse the obnoxious behavior. But really, what is the a value of a quickly-scribbled autograph or a 10-second handshake and smile? The market for sport collectibles and autographs has pretty much dried up.

Growing up my brother dated one of the ball girls of the 1986 Mets, and I had a bunch of mutual friends with Chris Mullin. I've been in bars at the same time as members of the Yankees and Rangers. Without generalizing or putting too fine a point on it, unless you're a hot female or can put money in their pocket, why would you expect much from them at all? In the day in the old country, some female poster complained about how she had her driven for hours to have children stake out the Yankees' road hotel and how dissappointed she was when they blew her off. And I and many posters wondered why she would do that in the first place.

When I go to camp every year with the tyke, they have retired and current players ready to sign and and meet and greet every day of camp. And I've never once bothered to have me or my son wait in that long boring line. I just don't see the point. There's so much other sutff to do and watch, why bother?

I'm not knocking you at all. But I think you learned a harsh lesson. Watch the games, enjoy the season. There may be some of these guys that are real princes, but I wouldn't count on it.

Wasnt a vacation Bugg. And I didnt get there hopes up at all. But in one fail swoop this person changed my kids view on them in a matter of 10 seconds. I cant stand the sports autograph and memorabilia business. Thats why I dont collect autographs. I dont care about the value of the autographs just the value to my kids. Your final assessment is absolutely correct.

Remember that when you are in the Baseball Hall of Fame Gift Shop this week.

;-)

We were up ther one July when Rose was set up on Main Street. He's almost overjoyed he's banned, because he acts like he's all put upon, a big rebel and all. If he was just another HoFer, nobody would much care. He's turned being banned into a cottage industry. If Selig wanted to ruin his life, just ban him from managing or working in MLB, but admit him to the Hall with his misdeeds on his plaque. His income would drop to zero.

Have you ever met a famous person you admired? If so tell your story.

My son (age 7 at the time) and I got to meet and talk with then U.S. Senator Bob Dole (R-Kansas) at a small airport. He jetted in for a quick campaign trip for NY Senator Alphonse D'mato. Senator Dole couldn't have been nicer as he talked with us and let me take his picture with my son. I still think he would have made a great President. On the football side I've run into Bill Parcells a few times at Saratoga, and both Lamar Hunt and Lenny Dawson from the Chiefs at Canton the year Hunt was installed as a Pro Football HOF member. The Chiefs were playing the NYG in the HOF game that year.

Arnold Palmer getting his plane serviced at the shop I worked at as an aviation mechanic. Most personable celebrity anyone could meet.

Did you work at PBI? I have a lot of friends that work there. I remember that Arnie and Greg Norman both used to park their jets in the same hanger there and play practical jokes on each other. My favorite was this... Palmer had a golden bear painted on the door of his own jet. Norman noticed this and had some people paint a shark on the door... mounting the bear doggie style.

I've met a few famous people. None I really admire. None that are all too famous either. JP Losman (huge d-bag), John Cena (came into the restaurant I worked in, got hammered and threw up in the bathroom), a couple of Real World/Road Rules people (if they even count as famous), amongst others. I guess it all depends on your definition of the word famous.

once i had the good fortune of sitting on a plane next to Terry Bradway on the way to the Senior Bowl

i know alot of fans think this guy is a joke of a GM but the truth is while his free agent signings were sometimes suspect, his scouting is among the best in the business

last i heard he's actually still employed in this role by the NYJ

he's the guy who basically found Joe Horn stocking shelves and used a 5th rounder in KC. he drafted Tony Gonzolez and alot of other great players

we ended up talking about everything but football, really nice guy - i have to admit i admire the guy it's not easy to be in his position

the only football related thing i told him was at the end of the flight i said im a huge Jets fan and i trust you will go and get us someone good

that was the year they drafted Brick and Mangold among others.

one of the classiest in all of sports was payne stewart. I golfed with a guy from argentina who had recently lost his tour card & was doing a practise round for a golden bear tournament at pga nat'l course in wpb. we asked him to join us. An amazing golfer & his dad (big fat guy ) just sat in the cart. I found a wallet on the fairway & we figured out by the dl it was his dad's. it was packed with cash. they were very thankful & we had some great chats on the course. we ate lunch & drank beer with them after the round.

he was in the fedx tournament & was in greg norman, payne stewart's group. while norman never even acknowledged him payne was awesome. at the cafeteria having lunch payne came & sat with him while norman did not.

rip mr stewart. you were all class, all the time

Have you ever met a famous person you admired? If so tell your story. Here is mine.

My family and I recently had the chance to meet a famous person we admired for a long time. The trip cost us approximately $1400 for the week. We were basically relegated to eating fast food and early rises and late finishes all week while still completing our committments to our regular jobs ie the midnight shifts. Very hectic week to say the least.

So we go to this organized event and wait and wait for three hours in the blazing hot sun for a chance for my three children to get an autograph each from this person and when this person walks over a female cuts in front of my kids to get a autograph picture signed which she gets. My son who is three years old goes up to this person and hands them and item to be signed, the person takes the item from my son and exclaims, "This is dirty pool! You probabally dont even know why you want this, its probabally for someone else". PRETENDS to sign the item hand it back to my son and drive away and exclaim while they are driving away, "NO AUTOGRAPHS". My three year old turns the item over and there is no autograph on it and starts crying.

So that night my wife and I call and complain to the director of the organized event and demand an apology from this person. We schedule a meeting the next day so, "everything can be worked out". We show up and this famous person did not even show up to apologize to three little kids, What a coward. The director apologized to us. And I told him we appreciate your apology very much but this person should be here to apologize. He agreed and offered to get the kids three autographs and I told him that is very nice but the reason we are here is not about the autographs its because of the assanine act by this person and we want an apology, not for us but for our children. He said, "We'll do our best". So he takes our cell phone number and says he will get back to us. Now at the end of the week no call yet. So we ask him, "Whats up"? He then tells us the person remembers the incident and it may take a couple of weeks to get an apology letter and the three autographs.

Now we are waiting for this. The autographs will go in the trash as I will not let my children keep them. We are not fans of this person anymore. But hopefully this person has the class to write the letter themselves and not rubber stamp it. But we are not holding our breath. As for me, I am an average guy who is a self made man. I dont want a thing from anyone. And if I were famous and someone wanted an autograph from me. I dont care if I have signed a million autographs in my lifetime. I would sign it especially for kids. Famous peoples celebrity have brought them alot of accolades and perks in their life from their fame and I couldnt imagine looking at signing autographs as menial charity especially for kids. Now also if I were famous and someone wanted my autograph I would be flattered and honored. This person looked at it like a bad thing. And to be honest with you all I was very hurt by this persons actions not for myself but for my children. They learned a hard lesson about life at a very young age that people aren't what you think they are. And famous people dont deserve to be put up on a pedastil we put them on. And this person MOST CERTAINLY doesnt.

As for my kids they got an autograph that day on each of their items that read simply "Daddy loves you". I hope it is better in their eyes than the one they wanted.

Sincerly Lantern

I have mixed feelings on this one. Was this "event" touted as a "wait in line and get an autograph" type of thing ?? sounds like a bunch of people waited by the door of an event to try TRY to get an autograph....

I think parents / people in general should stop worshipping people who really do nothing important and camp out for autographs. These people are not role models nor do they deserve to assume the burdeon of being one. You have to raise your own kids and be the role model. ONLY YOU

IF I were a celebrity, I would NEVER SIGN an autograph for ANYONE. I feel that its demeaning to myself and the person seeking it. I wouldnt want to be targeted in public all the time. that sucks

just my two cents

Greenlantern,

Well, guess what....tough ****! You're a freaking millionaire and everyone around you loves you. Step up and do the right thing, Joe, and admit your wrongdoing.

have to disagree. just because the guy has a high income doesnt mean he has to stop and sign things for every person he brushes by. thats totally not right. a guy is talented at throwing a ball and suddenly he cant have any peace? not fair

have to disagree. just because the guy has a high income doesnt mean he has to stop and sign things for every person he brushes by. thats totally not right. a guy is talented at throwing a ball and suddenly he cant have any peace? not fair

dk,

It's not like GreenLantern & Family happened to just bump into him on a street corner. This was an organized event, so basically he's getting paid for this, and it's his job to be nice and sign everything that comes his way, no questions asked.

dk,

It's not like GreenLantern & Family happened to just bump into him on a street corner. This was an organized event, so basically he's getting paid for this, and it's his job to be nice and sign everything that comes his way, no questions asked.

i dont know about that lantern hasnt made it clear as to what the event was all about. certainly, if your asked to wait in line and DONT get a sig then thats foul but the guy cant possibly sign everything that comes his way as he exits a building and I was just adressing the "f him- he makes millions so he owes us peasants a sig" mentality

when i have kids im gonna teach them to NEVER go after sigs because its a demeaning act which is pointless. well, ill teach em that after they learn about how to properly drink shots and work on industrial machinery without disconnecting power:)

I've met a ton of famous people-the one I always talk about was the times I have gotten a chance to talk to my idol Bruce Springsteen-all I can tell you guys is this; he blows that whole "never meet your heroes" idiom right out of the water-great man and just as nice a person as you'd ever want to meet

I've met a ton of famous people-the one I always talk about was the times I have gotten a chance to talk to my idol Bruce Springsteen-all I can tell you guys is this; he blows that whole "never meet your heroes" idiom right out of the water-great man and just as nice a person as you'd ever want to meet

that's awsome that it worked out well for you. I have never actually spoken with anyone that has any sort of fame attached to them. If i had a choice of one or two people to meet (that i am sure i would not be dissapointed in), would have to be:

Don Mattingly

Paul McCartney

that would be sweet.

Does it have to be someone you admire? If so, only one:

Tom Brady - had a nice little chat with him. I was near speechless - yah, I know, ME SPEECHLESS? Why do I admire him? Um - long suffering Pats fan here!!!!! I met him in the off-season after the 2001 SB victory. He might as well have changed his name to Gawd since that's they way he was treated in Boston. Still is.

Tom Brady - had a nice little chat with him. I was near speechless - yah, I know, ME SPEECHLESS? Why do I admire him? Um - long suffering Pats fan here!!!!! I met him in the off-season after the 2001 SB victory. He might as well have changed his name to Gawd since that's they way he was treated in Boston. Still is.

BOOOO

HISSSSS

9/9 is judgement day for Tommy

hey Garb there was a show on HBO (I think it was) the other night called When Stand Up Was Stand Up about all the great comedy clubs and comedians from the late 70's early 80's in Boston-Lenny Clarke, Dennis Leary, Steven Wright-those guys-man did they friggin party-you ever catch any of those shows back then?

She might not make it out:p

Why? The faux intellectual might not find the door?

I'm a huge (literally and figuratively) Kevin Smith fan. I was invited to play poker with him and 8 other people at his store in Red Bank. I sat down across the table from him for a 13 hour marathon poker session. I can honestly say there is not a nicer, more down to earth person in the world.

When I was in high school, my friend's brother played for the Jets. Mickey Shuler was a great guy, would take time to say hi, and remembered my name. Kurt Sohn was great as well. Of course, Gastineau was a jerk.

Archived