Lester to return to the mound Monday

AVM

Didn't see this posted, so i thought i would. Good to see him recovered and back to normalcy(sp?). Win or lose tommorow, it'll be nice to watch him throw.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2945267

BOSTON -- Jon Lester is slated to return to the mound for the Boston Red Sox on Monday, nearly a year after his rookie season was cut short when he was diagnosed with cancer.

Lester

Lester was scheduled to replace Julian Tavarez for Monday's game at Cleveland, the 23-year-old left-hander's first major league appearance since he beat the Los Angeles Angels on Aug. 23 last year. The Red Sox said nine days later that he had a treatable form of lymphoma.

"I don't think it really has sunken in yet, and I don't think it will sink in until tomorrow when I get on the mound," Lester said Sunday.

Lester was 7-2 with a 4.76 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 81 1/3 innings last year after being recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket of the International League in June.

"It's definitely a lot more gratifying than last year, just for the simple fact of the road that I've been on coming back from last year," Lester said.

After undergoing treatment during the offseason, Lester rejoined the Red Sox during spring training and started the season on the disabled list. He was activated on June 11, but immediately was optioned to the minors.

"It's been hard, but you have to sit back and see that they have your best interest involved," Lester said. "It's been hard getting treated like you're in a glass bottle, so it'd be nice to finally break through and get to pitch again."

Lester went 4-5 with a 3.61 ERA with Class A Greenville of the South-Atlantic League and Triple-A Pawtucket of the International League, winning three of his last four decisions. Lester was 4-5 with a 3.89 ERA in 14 starts with the PawSox and had a 2.08 ERA in three starts and Greenville.

"I can't sit here and tell you there won't be some emotion involved," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "I think his folks are going to be there, which I'm sure for them will be extra special."

Francona said the decision to recall Lester made sense from a baseball perspective and wasn't influenced by emotion.

"We didn't let it be, or he would have been here three months ago," Francona said. "I wouldn't apologize to be crazy about a kid like Lester -- I'd be crazy not to. But I wouldn't ever let that get in the way of making decisions."

Francona said there will be no pitch counts or limitations on Lester, who allowed three runs and seven hits in seven innings against Ottawa on Wednesday.

Tavarez, 5-8 with a 5.27 ERA in 18 starts, will be switched to a reliever.

"He's got a chance to really help our bullpen," Francona said. "He's a guy who can throw whenever you want."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Good for him, glad to see him make it all the way back to the bigs. He needs to work on his control a little more, though.

With Schilling due to come back soon and Gabbard pitching well, I can't imagine he'll be up for long.

Whatever Greek

You have whammied the Sawx. We all know this

It;s just a matter of time

Please! You came out of LITERALLY hiding to thump your meaty-breasted chest on behalf of the Yankees when they won a few games against meager opponents. Where the F have you been all year? Oh wait, I forgot, youre rich and you work hard so you go on constant vacations! You can save that nonsense! If you have to tell people youre rich and powerful, youre neither!

back to you being a fraud...

Lugo's batting average went up .7 points (.218-.225) since I made that post and he has been SO hot that he is back leading off for the AL EAST DIVISION LEADING TEAM and the team with the most wins in all of baseball! I hope you NEVER go into hiding again. Yankee Hater Nation needs you!

Lester is better than most of the crap the Yankees have trotted out there. He's going to be a solid 3/4 starter for a long time in the majors. That sounds like a bad pitcher to me.

What yankee starters is he better than that you can make the statement that he's better than "most" yankee starters?

Lester is better than most of the crap the Yankees have trotted out there. He's going to be a solid 3/4 starter for a long time in the majors. That sounds like a bad pitcher to me.

you call Madmike out for his rediculous statements (ie when he said Hughes is better than whoever)

and now you go and say a guy who lucked out with run support to go 7-2 with 81 innings of work and an ERA that was above the league average (4.76, compared to 4.61) and a whopping 1.648 whip is better than CheinMeinWang/Andy Pettite/Roger Clemens/Mike Mussina???

this is like the pot calling the kettle up to take a week long vacation at blackland

you call Madmike out for his rediculous statements (ie when he said Hughes is better than whoever)

and now you go and say a guy who lucked out with run support to go 7-2 with 81 innings of work and an ERA that was above the league average (4.76, compared to 4.61) and a whopping 1.648 whip is better than CheinMeinWang/Andy Pettite/Roger Clemens/Mike Mussina???

this is like the pot calling the kettle up to take a week long vacation at blackland

its actually funny that you say this...on many levels...(of all the years to perform verbal fellatio on Yankee pitchers....

But it is common knowledge that the Red Sox did not make a serious, or anything other than half-@ssed attempt to sign Roger Clemens because they thought that Jon Lester could actually help the team MORE than a 45 year old 5-inning pitcher.

I noticed you threw in Mike Missina too....bwa-hahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

its actually funny that you say this...on many levels...(of all the years to perform verbal fellatio on Yankee pitchers....

But it is common knowledge that the Red Sox did not make a serious, or anything other than half-@ssed attempt to sign Roger Clemens because they thought that Jon Lester could actually help the team MORE than a 45 year old 5-inning pitcher.

I noticed you threw in Mike Missina too....bwa-hahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

If they thought that Lester would be better than Clemens then why did garbage like Gabbard and Darven Hanssack not to mention tavarez get starts over him till now?

is better than CheinMeinWang/Andy Pettite/Roger Clemens/Mike Mussina???

Show me where I said that. I should have specified to 4/5 starters which is what Lester is right now. For example: Karstens, Chase Wright, DeSalvo, Igawa, Clippard, Rasner. He is better than all of those guys.

And if Lester was so bad, why is he one of the main prospects ask for in trades? He is a lefty with a good arsenal of pitches and the command will come.

And yes Garb, he was a little inconsistent in AAA, but he gives us a better chance to win and actually make it through 6 innings than a hurt Julian Tavarez.

MadMike- Lester had a different time table set for him and the organization wanted to make sure his health was fully good to go before calling him up, for obvious reasons. And Kason Gabbard while you say might be garbage, is also outperforming all of the Yankees I mentioned previously. Say what you will be a left handed groudball pitcher who is 4-0 with an ERA under 3 and a 1.07 WHIP works for me.

If they thought that Lester would be better than Clemens then why did garbage like Gabbard and Darven Hanssack not to mention tavarez get starts over him till now?

Good question mike. Not only is it an easy one....it give me a chance to open up Yankee wounds and throw salt in them!!!

Lester hasn't pitched until right now because the Red Sox have been fortunate enough this year to NOT have to rush him back to the major leagues. They can afford to rush "garbage" as you say out there like Devern Hansack. How exactly does Kason Gabbard qualify as garbage by the way? Ya know what, dont answer that. I dont care...forget I asked. Maybe he is our Aaron Small/Shawn Chacon. You better hope so!

Nevertheless, whether Lester solidifies himself as a bona fide starter...whether he proves to be high level trade bait for a team that could use a lefty starter...or whether he struggles in the majors...this kid is a winner either way!

Show me where I said that. I should have specified to 4/5 starters which is what Lester is right now. For example: Karstens, Chase Wright, DeSalvo, Igawa, Clippard, Rasner. He is better than all of those guys.

And if Lester was so bad, why is he one of the main prospects ask for in trades? He is a lefty with a good arsenal of pitches and the command will come.

And yes Garb, he was a little inconsistent in AAA, but he gives us a better chance to win and actually make it through 6 innings than a hurt Julian Tavarez.

MadMike- Lester had a different time table set for him and the organization wanted to make sure his health was fully good to go before calling him up, for obvious reasons. And Kason Gabbard while you say might be garbage, is also outperforming all of the Yankees I mentioned previously. Say what you will be a left handed groudball pitcher who is 4-0 with an ERA under 3 and a 1.07 WHIP works for me.

He doesn't have as good numbers as Rasner or the upside of the Clippard. He's probably better than the other guys you mentioned but thats not really saying anything.

Good question mike. Not only is it an easy one....it give me a chance to open up Yankee wounds and throw salt in them!!!

Lester hasn't pitched until right now because the Red Sox have been fortunate enough this year to NOT have to rush him back to the major leagues. They can afford to rush "garbage" as you say out there like Devern Hansack. How exactly does Kason Gabbard qualify as garbage by the way? Ya know what, dont answer that. I dont care...forget I asked. Maybe he is our Aaron Small/Shawn Chacon. You better hope so!

Nevertheless, whether Lester solidifies himself as a bona fide starter...whether he proves to be high level trade bait for a team that could use a lefty starter...or whether he struggles in the majors...this kid is a winner either way!

Thats ALL spin. Lester was ready to pitch in the majors a month ago and they KEPT HIM IN AAA because he wasn't pitching well.

Thats ALL spin. Lester was ready to pitch in the majors a month ago and they KEPT HIM IN AAA because he wasn't pitching well.

And how the hell would you know that? Other than because it fits into your "rah rah yankees" argument??? You have no idea how ready or not ready he was/is. Face it, we're able to do things this year that we havent been able to do in years past like let Lester work out a few kinks in his arsenal and let Schilling shut it down for multiple weeks in an effort to combat shoulder tendonitis!

Im not saying Jon Lester will be lights out. Nobody knows what he will do...though he'll get a massively huge test tonight against one of the better hitting teams in baseball.

Lester wasnt exactly blowing people away in AAA but he didnt suck it up either! In other years, the Red Sox may have rushed to get him up to the majors.

Here is my only point here, Crazymike:

THE FACT THAT WE HAD JON LESTER IN OUR ORGANIZATION SLATED FOR A JULY RETURN MEANT THAT WE DIDNT HAVE TO THROW A DIME AT SOME 45-YEAR OLD HAS-BEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And how the hell would you know that? Other than because it fits into your "rah rah yankees" argument??? You have no idea how ready or not ready he was/is. Face it, we're able to do things this year that we havent been able to do in years past like let Lester work out a few kinks in his arsenal and let Schilling shut it down for multiple weeks in an effort to combat shoulder tendonitis!

Im not saying Jon Lester will be lights out. Nobody knows what he will do...though he'll get a massively huge test tonight against one of the better hitting teams in baseball.

Lester wasnt exactly blowing people away in AAA but he didnt suck it up either! In other years, the Red Sox may have rushed to get him up to the majors.

Here is my only point here, Crazymike:

THE FACT THAT WE HAD JON LESTER IN OUR ORGANIZATION SLATED FOR A JULY RETURN MEANT THAT WE DIDNT HAVE TO THROW A DIME AT SOME 45-YEAR OLD HAS-BEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If thats really true and they aren't rushing him than why is he pitching tonight? His AAA numbers are extreamly mediocre.

If thats really true and they aren't rushing him than why is he pitching tonight? His AAA numbers are extreamly mediocre.

Take your pick:

1. He is finally ready and he is widely regarded as a major league (4th/5th) starter as he has proven his ability to keep the BoSox in games.

2. Joolian Tavarez sucks

3. Showcase him for a trade!?!?!?!?!? (most likely not the case)

AAA numbers, while not completely useless, mean very little. Its alot like spring training to me.

Take your pick:

1. He is finally ready and he is widely regarded as a major league (4th/5th) starter as he has proven his ability to keep the BoSox in games.

2. Joolian Tavarez sucks

3. Showcase him for a trade!?!?!?!?!? (most likely not the case)

AAA numbers, while not completely useless, mean very little. Its alot like spring training to me.

He's pitched worse recently in AAA so it's not that. If it's because Tavarez sucks (which it is) then that completely blows the rest of your argument away. I doubt he has much trade value right now.

He's pitched worse recently in AAA so it's not that. If it's because Tavarez sucks (which it is) then that completely blows the rest of your argument away. I doubt he has much trade value right now.

Yet every team when the Sox inquire about players ask about Lester. I mean most teams probably wouldn't want a young middle of the rotation left handed starter who they have control over for the next few years. Not much value there.

Yet every team when the Sox inquire about players ask about Lester. I mean most teams probably wouldn't want a young middle of the rotation left handed starter who they have control over for the next few years. Not much value there.
How do you know what teams are asking for? Do you have a inside source? He's a BACK of the rotation starter, not middle.

Lester, no trade value?

I know your style so I know youre just trying to be argumentative and obnoxious...but did you forget who youre talking to?

You wanna argue from the "Rah Rah Yankees" side of things and nonsensically say anything regardless of consequences, in the spirit of Pedroia > Cano, I now give you my latest statement:

Youkilis > Jeter. Woohoo, Go Sox!

Lester, no trade value?

I know your style so I know youre just trying to be argumentative and obnoxious...but did you forget who youre talking to?

You wanna argue from the "Rah Rah Yankees" side of things and nonsensically say anything regardless of consequences, in the spirit of Pedroia > Cano, I now give you my latest statement:

Youkilis > Jeter. Woohoo, Go Sox!

as usual you can't sustain a real conversation for more than 1 post. At least i tried...

Thats the point, for me at least. Madmike may very well be right, but to me, who cares. I hope he's dead wrong and Lester is completely lights out, but either way--kudos to the man.

He'll be a 2/3 starter when all is said and done. And yes I do have an inside source. It's called reading the newspaper.

Reading the paper??? Pffffffft. That is 1920's thinking at best, Next thing you will say is that you "watch" players to understand how good they may be in comparison to others.

Awful.

Archived