So will Polamula's contract impact Rhodes?

4HCrew

Looks like the Steelers gave Troy a 4 year extension with a reported 15 million guaranteed. Will that be the range Kerry is going to look for?

It was always gonna cost alot to keep Rhodes beyond his current contract.

I look at it like this:

The Jets re-signed Jerricho Cotchery to a 5 year, $20 million extension with what? Around $10 million guarenteed? They also re-signed Bryan Thomas with $9 million guarenteed while Cory Redding got $20 million guarenteed and he isn't even the best player on the Detroit defensive line! I believe in Tannenbaum and that he will get the best deal completed.

That being said, you can also look at it this way: Polamalu has been playing great for years. Rhodes? Well he really only broke out last season.

I look at it like this:

The Jets re-signed Jerricho Cotchery to a 5 year, $20 million extension with what? Around $10 million guarenteed? They also re-signed Bryan Thomas with $9 million guarenteed while Cory Redding got $20 million guarenteed and he isn't even the best player on the Detroit defensive line! I believe in Tannenbaum and that he will get the best deal completed.

That being said, you can also look at it this way: Polamalu has been playing great for years. Rhodes? Well he really only broke out last season.

Bingo

if both players were available i'd prefer Rhodes over Troy

and that's not just being a homer

Rhodes is a better ballhawk and doesn't have the 10 or so concussions under his belt Troy's got.

put it another way,

Rhodes' best football is in front of him, i don't think that's true for Polamalu.

Rhodes is a better ballhawk and doesn't have the 10 or so concussions under his belt Troy's got.

put it another way,

Rhodes' best football is in front of him, i don't think that's true for Polamalu.

excellent post Bit....I also want to see Revis and Harris signed tomorrow

Polamalu is being underpaid, that contratc helps the Jets b/c Kerry doesn't deserv Polamalu money yet so I know they were discussing a new deal w/ him, hopefully they get it done soon and we save money from what we would have had to pay a year or 2 down the line.

Polamalu is underpaid? He got a 4-year $30M extension. Seems like a lot of $ for a safety no matter how good he is. Plus he gets another contract earlier (at age 31) than if it was a 6-7 year extension. If it was the same rate ($7.5M/yr) but 6 years/$45M or 7 years/$52.5M instead of 4 yrs/$30Mis he still underpaid?

A contract this short is a real $ contract unlike the phony-baloney long blockbuster ones given to the likes of Derrick Dockery. Dockery may look like he got 7 years/$49M ($7M/yr) but the contract is essentially 5 years/$23M ($4.6M/yr).

put it another way,

Gotta agree with you there. Rhodes is younger, with less wear and tear and I don't see a reason why he won't continue to play at this level.

Polamalu is underpaid? He got a 4-year $30M extension. Seems like a lot of $ for a safety no matter how good he is. Plus he gets another contract earlier (at age 31) than if it was a 6-7 year extension. If it was the same rate ($7.5M/yr) but 6 years/$45M or 7 years/$52.5M instead of 4 yrs/$30Mis he still underpaid?

A contract this short is a real $ contract unlike the phony-baloney long blockbuster ones given to the likes of Derrick Dockery. Dockery may look like he got 7 years/$49M ($7M/yr) but the contract is essentially 5 years/$23M ($4.6M/yr).

I don't look at the years, the guaranteed money is the important part of the contrac an it's beenrpore he's getting $12-15 mil guaranteed and when youconsider Wes Welker got over $10 mil guaranteed 12-15 doesn't seem do high for one of the best players in the league when healthy.

with the salary cap going higher and higher 15m gauranteed is not that expensive. the sooner they lock up rhodes the better - as long as the cap keeps shooting up whatever he gets now will be viewed as a discount in future years.

Great point. I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the salary cap took a big jump this year and will continue to rise.

The Jets should let Rhodes play out his current contract and then access the situation.

I look at it like this:

Bingo. That will go for EVERY player.

Archived