Questions for PC Gurus

Green Jets & Ham

1. Windows XP SP2 has a built-in firewall, but is their firewall every bit AS GOOD/RELIABLE as an updated McAfee firewall?

2. Microsoft offers an anti-spyware utility for Windows XP, but is it AS GOOD/RELIABLE as a Spybot, Webroot, etc?

3. Does the Microsoft anti-spyware utility also address Adware or do you NEED a different utility for adware?

4. Would there be any danger of software conflicts if I had both on my PC ... the microsoft anti-spyware utility AND a Webroot or Spybot ... and does it even make sense to keep both?

5. Why does the microsoft anti-spyware utility NOT address cookies as my Webroot did, and does that in-of-itself make it less effective?

The Microsoft firewall is very good for keeping intruders out. What it does NOT do is monitor outgoing traffic from your computer to the Internet. For example, if a spyware program got in through an email or website, the Windows firewall would not stop it from reporting back to its evil masters. I use the free ZoneAlarm firewall, which asks for permission before it allows programs to access the net.

I just started using the Microsoft spyware utility. My initial response is, I like it. It found something that Spybot and AdAware did not. I also like that you can set it to scan and update automatically. I am using all three utilities and plan to keep doing so. Unlike anti-virus software, these things do not conflict.

Cookies are really not a problem. If you're concerned about tracking cookies, though, AdAware will get rid of them.

Bob, does the microsoft utility NOT track adware?

If not, should I download the Spybot Search & Destroy ... is that used for Adware?

I am confused ... I thought Spyware and Adware were both addressed by a spyware utility like the microsft anti-spyware

Anyway, if that is NOT the case, will the Spybot SD address adware ... and if not, does spybot have a different utility for adware?

Thanks

You're getting caught up in semantics. Adware is really just a kind of spyware that delivers ads to your computer. You probably don't see them because you have a pop-up blocker.

Any one of these programs will find whatever programs it has in its file definitions. The way I figure it, the more tools I can use to keep this crap from slowing down my computer, the better.

Whichever programs you decide to use, make sure you keep the file definitions updated.

I just started using the Microsoft spyware utility. My initial response is, I like it. It found something that Spybot and AdAware did not. I also like that you can set it to scan and update automatically.

I just loaded it a couple weeks ago too Bob and it found crap that Spybot let slide. It's great- but there has to be a catch coming somewhere. Billy G doesn't usually give without getting.

You're getting caught up in semantics. Adware is really just a kind of spyware that delivers ads to your computer. You probably don't see them because you have a pop-up blocker.

Any one of these programs will find whatever programs it has in its file definitions. The way I figure it, the more tools I can use to keep this crap from slowing down my computer, the better.

Whichever programs you decide to use, make sure you keep the file definitions updated.

Thanks Bob, much appreciated

I Just re-installed my Webroot as well, so now I have BOTH ... the Microsoft Anti-Spyware AND my Webroot Spy-Sweeper

Archived