Smoot

fatcatxl

Word out of D.C. this morning is that the Redskins are finalizing details on a big $$ deal for FA CB Samari Rolle, with an estimated $15 Million signing bonus.

Such a deal, if true, would eleiminate the Skins from any possibillity of brining Smoot back. Talk in D.C. (no link or article, just talk) is that there are a multitude of teams looking at Smoot.

Damn what happens when our thread killer starts a thread? HHHmmmm.

I had not heard anything about Smoot coming here. Anyone have a link of some sort? Or was it only on the FAN.

To answer your first question... I'll just add a reply to myself. I am the alpha and the omega. The beginning and the end.

Idk if there's a link out there... i just read a post on JI where icwt10 said he heard it on the radio.

Man if we get a top notch corner and an impact Wr to go opposite Hines, i'm happy as a lark. Maybe, just MAYBE we can get past those pesky Pats. :twisted:

Yo Stiller, what's the word over in Steeler land?

They gonna make a run at Ty Law or stay away because he would cost too much coin?

The general consensus on Law is we'd love to have him but whether we can afford him or not is another question. Some wonder if he'd be willing to play for us for less $ in exchange for being on an upper echelon team in the Pats conference.

Hey, i'd take either him or Smoot, not picky at all as long as we get a good cover guy.

What concerns me most is missing out on these good FA WR's though, i really thought we'd make a run at Mushin Muhammed or Mason. :roll:

No way.

Pittsburgh seems confident in Randle El as the 2 and probably drafting somebody in either the 1st or 2nd round go to with Lee Mays for the #3 and #4 spots.

It would be a huge mistake to put Randle El at #2 IMO. Not a knock on him but he has fumbling issues after the catch and he is rather small.

He excels in the slot and we can easily get him in open space from there.

Troy Williamson sounds like an adequate replacement for Plax if he's on the board. I also like Fred Gibson or Roddy White there as well.

It would be a huge mistake to put Randle El at #2 IMO. Not a knock on him but he has fumbling issues after the catch and he is rather small.

He excels in the slot and we can easily get him in open space from there.

Troy Williamson sounds like an adequate replacement for Plax if he's on the board. I also like Fred Gibson or Roddy White there as well.

Randle El is not a # 2. No way they entrust him with that job.

Pittsburgh is a run first team anyway, therefore, they don't really need a big time WR. They just need a replacement for Plax. A decent possession receiver would fix that problem rather quickly. If they ever open up that offense over there, they are going to be a dangerous team this year.

Everytime I watch them play, which is often, Randel El is open all the time. He's explosive, and very dangerous on reverses and in the middle of the field. He does have fumbling issues, but he isn't that bad. He's not a bad punt/kick returner either. :wink:

Hey Prok! 8)

Everytime I watch them play, which is often, Randel El is open all the time. He's explosive, and very dangerous on reverses and in the middle of the field. He does have fumbling issues, but he isn't that bad. He's not a bad punt/kick returner either. :wink:

Hey Prok! 8)

I always wonder about such things. Was Randle El open all the time because they had Ward and Plax?

It is the whole chicken and egg thing!

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Fred Smoot

Position: Cornerback

Grade: 74 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Smoot is a playmaker that has led the team in interceptions in each of his first three seasons but he is extremely inconsistent and he has had some problems staying healthy. Is fast enough to run with receivers downfield, has the body control to adjust to the ball while it's in the air and has great leaping abililty. Can change directions without losing much speed in transition, shows good burst coming out of cuts and flashes the ability to blanket receivers underneath. Is aggressive, will jump routes and fights for the ball. Plays with great confidence and doesn't allow mistakes to affect play. Takes a lot of chances, can be overaggressive at times and is vulnerable to effective pump fakes. Smoot has the speed, agility and confidence to develop into a shutdown corner but he hasn't progressed as expected. His technique remains inconsistent, he gives up too many big plays and he offers little in run support. Smoot's interception-production should also dip with the departure of Champ Bailey, as teams won't be forced to throw in Smoot's direction limiting his opportunities to make a play on the ball.

This analysis was done before last year of Smoot by Scouts Inc.

I always wonder about such things. Was Randle El open all the time because they had Ward and Plax?

You may be right, but I think Randel El is a dangerous slot receiver. He is very quick and tough to handle for pretty much any corner. Although he is a small receiver, it's tough to jam him at the line because of being lined up in the slot.

Plax becomes invisible in big games. Although he is a dangerous deep threat, he does nothing in important games. I think he's too one dimensional. They did just fine without him when he got injured, and his lousy attitude will not be missed over there.

Ward is a stud! Tough, physical, great hands --> the whole package. I would love to have him on my team. If they can get another productive possession receiver, I think they'll be a dangerous team.

You don't need to have a big name - see NE Patriots -to have an effective passing game.

You may be right, but I think Randel El is a dangerous slot receiver. He is very quick and tough to handle for pretty much any corner. Although he is a small receiver, it's tough to jam him at the line because of being lined up in the slot.

Plax becomes invisible in big games. Although he is a dangerous deep threat, he does nothing in important games. I think he's too one dimensional. They did just fine without him when he got injured, and his lousy attitude will not be missed over there.

Ward is a stud! Tough, physical, great hands --> the whole package. I would love to have him on my team. If they can get another productive possession receiver, I think they'll be a dangerous team.

You don't need to have a big name - see NE Patriots -to have an effective passing game.

Dude that Avatar is not allowed. It is okay size wise but when I look at it I puke. Please remove it immediately, LOL.

Pitt is as close as you can be. If NE takes a step back and Big Ben takes a step forward, Pitt will be tough to beat.

Dude that Avatar is not allowed. It is okay size wise but when I look at it I puke. Please remove it immediately, LOL.

Pitt is as close as you can be. If NE takes a step back and Big Ben takes a step forward, Pitt will be tough to beat.[/quote]

Be interesting to see how Roethlisberger comes out of the gate next season.

He looked pretty shaky his last 5 or 6 games.

Fred Smoot is #1 on my free agent wish list.

I put him in the next grouping of corners behind the Laws, Baileys, and McCalisters.

Smoot is coming off an all-world season where he was actually better than Champ Bailey. He's going to demand some major coin, but he'll be worth it, IMO. Signing Smoot would immediately give us the best defense in football.

Opinions vary widely. From what i saw, Plax took up most of the double teams allowing Ward and El to simply beat their man or find a soft spot in the zone. When Tommy Maddox was QB, he'd almost immediately look for Ward or El, Plax was his last option unless we had a deep ball called (not very often). :roll:

IMO, an above average #2 would make that offense dangerous (providing they let Ben throw it more). :lol:

Nice to see ya made it here, Mike. Enjoy!

Archived