Yankees trade Scott Proctor for Wilson Betemit

nj meadowlands

Not a horrible deal for the Yankees as Scott Proctor is all but DONE from eating up so many innings for Slow Joe. This only makes sense if Boy Brian is freeing up space for Gagne, otherwise it makes NO SENSE for a pitching starved team to give up on Proctor.

Betemit does have really good power from both sides, which could actually help his homerun production at the Toilet. But still, I dont really get this move. Unless, of course, the Yankees are thinking of replacing Slappy already!?!?!?!!?

I have always liked Betemit, and Proctor has really not shown me the same sharpness this year. But I think making a move to the NL (and the Dodgers, which is where he came from) will really help him out. Torre usuing him in 9 run ball games just really took a toll on him.

And nobodoy got owned by the sox more than scott proctor. But I will definitely miss him throwing up and in at youks and all the other times he protected our hitters.

---

Betemit gives us protection if Phillips stops hitting this year, not to mention immediate depth to the bench. A switch hitter with pop and can play every position on the infield. Gotta like that.

Chamberlain is definitely getting called up, but I want us to get Gagne as well.

Looks like we are already gearing up for Arod's departure, (which won't happen)

This is an interesting move, trading proctor straight up, I'd invision some prospects, but I guess not, he hits for decent power, with 10 HRs, and mehp average, with a .241.

I'm still trying to figure out what the Yankees are thinking, dealing from a position of weakness (the bullpen) for something that isn't an immediate benefit or really a solid future guarentee.

They are thinking next year when they let Arod walk...

Maybe, just maybe, the Yankees know more about the A-Rod situation then any of us? Maybe he really is leaning closer to leaving then he is to staying and they hope that Betemit can be an every day, effective 3B in the American League for them.

As for Proctor, for all the innings the Yankees got out of him last year and this year, he was milked dry and now we can throw him away out to pasture.

I'm still trying to figure out what the Yankees are thinking, dealing from a position of weakness (the bullpen) for something that isn't an immediate benefit or really a solid future guarentee.

As someone mentioned in the Gagne thread, Karstens and Chamerlain may be a better pen than what Proctor and Farnsworth have been providing.

I think they got Betemit because they needed a pinch runner for Giambi who can also hit a little bit in case his spot in the order comes up again in the ninth :cussing:

The trade sucks. Torre doesn't use the bench. And now Proctor, without being beat like a rented mule, will become a decent reliever. If this is to have Betemit as A-rod's replacement, that's simply retarded. And Betimit is lefty, so he does nothing for the Yanks' weakness vs. lefties.

Big picture-Cashman looked into the abyss; figured they aren't catching the Sawx; and will roll the dice on a widlcard slot and beyond with Hughes, Chamberlain and maybe Kennedy contributing. Let's also note the Indians and Mariners did very little today, so the WC is still doable.

Not a horrible deal for the Yankees as Scott Proctor is all but DONE from eating up so many innings for Slow Joe. This only makes sense if Boy Brian is freeing up space for Gagne, otherwise it makes NO SENSE for a pitching starved team to give up on Proctor.

Betemit does have really good power from both sides, which could actually help his homerun production at the Toilet. But still, I dont really get this move. Unless, of course, the Yankees are thinking of replacing Slappy already!?!?!?!!?

Having been to Fenway,at least the Yanks are replacing their bowl with a spanking new model opening in 2009. What exactly is so wonderful about that sheethole on stilts in Boston?

The trade sucks. Torre doesn't use the bench. And now Proctor, without being beat like a rented mule, will become a decent reliever. If this is to have Betemit as A-rod's replacement, that's simply retarded. And Betimit is lefty, so he does nothing for the Yanks' weakness vs. lefties.

Big picture-Cashman looked into the abyss; figured they aren't catching the Sawx; and will roll the dice on a widlcard slot and beyond with Hughes, Chamberlain and maybe Kennedy contributing. Let's also note the Indians and Mariners did very little today, so the WC is still doable.

Switch hitter but terrible numbers vs. lefties so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

49 Ks in 156 ABs this season...wonderful

basically if A-rod doesn't stick around Betemit could be his replacement at 3rd next year

Kinda like Shemp, or Curly Joe. Except Shemp could hit lefties, Betemit cannot. If they don't sign A-rod, the 2008 Yanks offense isn't going to be very good.

Kinda like Shemp, or Curly Joe. Except Shemp could hit lefties, Betemit cannot. If they don't sign A-rod, the 2008 Yanks offense isn't going to be very good.

Not that I don't want A-rod on the teawm next year, but that 30 million a year can be invested in many ways to make up for A-rod

this is his dream season and we aren't even sniffing the playoffs right now, I think we can do the same without him and our money invested in better pitching

Not that I don't want A-rod on the teawm next year, but that 30 million a year can be invested in many ways to make up for A-rod

this is his dream season and we aren't even sniffing the playoffs right now, I think we can do the same without him and our money invested in better pitching

Three games out of the wild card is not "sniffing the playoffs"?:character42:

Three games out of the wild card is not "sniffing the playoffs"?:character42:

we're on a hot streak and cleveland and seattle are dead cold

funny how NY is winnig now and A-rod is 0 for his last 16 or whatever it is and before we were losing and we was our only threat

we're on a hot streak and cleveland and seattle are dead cold

funny how NY is winnig now and A-rod is 0 for his last 16 or whatever it is and before we were losing and we was our only threat

That's what happens to every team in every season. That's why leads get bigger and smaller. Bottom line is that this is a very good team that is 3 GB of a playoff spot. That IMO is sniffing the playoffs. Does it mean they're in? By no means. However, having Hughes (or anyone for that matter) take over for Igawa makes the rotation stronger than it has been all season and if Chamberlin gets the call and turns out to be just a JAG, he's still an upgrade over Farnsworth.

Right now bringing Sparky Lyle out of a 20 year retirement would be an upgrade over Farnsworth. :P

As much as I hate to say it but I think the Yanks have give A-Rod the money.

The Yankees will make zillions of dollars with him the next five years as he chases Bonds just in merchandise and marketing.

I will never be a big fan of his. I think he is an all time great but I don't like his mental makeup. I want to see him put this team on his back and carry them at least past the first round.

I think though in the end the Yanks will give A-Rod the new deal. He is going to win another MVP. He is going the be the guy who chases Bonds* HR record, and he is an all time great.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though. :P

Just the way I think it will fall out.

as an outsider looking in on the Yanks, seems to me this deal is more to make room for Chamberlain than anything else. Proctor was burned out by Torre the past couple of years and hit the wall. Betemit is a nice player, but in the American League, especially the Yanks, bench players are not used that much. I like what I've read about the kid Chamberlain, think he can be a major help in the 7th & 8th innings down the stretch, once he gets accustomed to pitching every other day down on the farm.

defensively their both great

but Andruw has a little more pop in his bat

Defensively, I give Torii the edge, and yeah, Andruw has a better bat.

Which ever one is cheaper, but you know, George really doesn't care, he gets what he wants regardless of price, it should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Archived