Gagne to Red Sox

CrazyCarl40

Accorsing to Ken Rosenthal, pending the waive of his no-trade clause.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7072074

The Red Sox are on the verge of winning the Eric Gagne sweepstakes, pending his approval and a review of his medical records, according to major-league sources.

Gagne must waive his no-trade clause to Boston for the deal to be completed. It is possible the Red Sox will allow him to share the closer's role with Jonathan Papelbon.

The Rangers had discussed trading Gagne to the Mets, Yankees and Brewers. He could have been sent to each of those teams without his permission.

Gagne could reject the deal because of his desire to remain a closer with the Rangers rather than share the role with Papelbon or become his setup man.

The Red Sox also could attempt to persuade him to waive his no-trade protection by guaranteeing all or part of his remaining $3.65 million in potential bonuses for games finished.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would surprise me to see Gagne be a set up guy to Papelbon. It wouldnt sit right with me if I was Gagne. The only closer I would set up for if I was him would be Rivera.

Yankees cant let this happen either. This would be bad.

The Sox really don't need any bullpen help, but another good arm can't hurt.

I wonder if this is more of a move to keep him away from the Yanks?

He's pitched 48 innings in the last 3 years. Hope the Sox didn't have to give up too much for him.

The Sox really don't need any bullpen help, but another good arm can't hurt.

I wonder if this is more of a move to keep him away from the Yanks?

He's pitched 48 innings in the last 3 years. Hope the Sox didn't have to give up too much for him.

Of course it is. It always is with these two teams. With a trio of Okajima, Gagne and Papelbon the Red Sox would have the best 7th, 8th and 9th bullpen in the league AND would be keeping him away from the Bronx. The Red Sox or Yankees always make a trade or sign a guy for 2 reasons.

1. To improve their club

and

2. To sign away what the other team wants / needs more

Of course it is. It always is with these two teams. With a trio of Okajima, Gagne and Papelbon the Red Sox would have the best 7th, 8th and 9th bullpen in the league AND would be keeping him away from the Bronx. The Red Sox or Yankees always make a trade or sign a guy for 2 reasons.

1. To improve their club

and

2. To sign away what the other team wants / needs more

So who's out there for the Yanks? With Dotel seemingly gone to the Braves, is there a bullpen guy available?

So who's out there for the Yanks? With Dotel seemingly gone to the Braves, is there a bullpen guy available?

I wouldn't mind seeing Kartstens going to the pen, and Hughes taking over at #5 in the rotation.

Looks like the Yanks and Mets are out as per ESPN

MARKET REPORT

The Gagne sweepstakes was down to the Red Sox and Brewers by Tuesday afternoon. The Yankees and Mets signaled that by turning their attention to other deals, according to executives from multiple teams. So that left one team (Boston) that wasn't on Gagne's list of approved teams he could be traded to and a second team (Milwaukee) that could. So the Red Sox were working not just to find a player package Texas would accept, but also for ways to rework Gagne's contract so that he would approve the deal. Satisfying Texas was no small challenge, though. They continue to ask for every team's best prospects. So the Red Sox's willingness to include center fielder David Murphy and the Brewers' willingness to deal outfielder Tony Gwynn Jr. wouldn't be enough. Texas asked the Yankees for primo pitching prospects Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain. The Mets said no on any of their young outfieldes -- Carlos Gomez, Fernando Martinez and Lastings Milledge. And the same hang-up exists with the Red Sox, who have no interest in even carrying on a conversation that involves Clay Buchholz or Jacoby Ellsbury. The Rangers were trying to convince those clubs they were willing to hang onto Gagne and either sign him to an extension (doubtful) or take two draft picks as compensation. But it's far from a sure thing Gagne would be a Type A free agent that would result in two high picks. So this looks like a furious negotiation to the finish -- with three teams and Gagne's omnipresent agent, Scott Boras.

I don't know what the Sox are giving up for Gagne but the Rangers must be on crack if they think the Yanks are giving up both Hughes and Chamberlain.

I think Hughes is the #5 this w/end.

Great deal for Sox if it goes through.......basically turns a post season game into a 6 inning game like the 90's Yankee teams.

That would be sweet, since I'll be there Saturday.

With Donnelly an unknown commodity at this point and Timlin tired and sore again, it's just as much a move to use him as it is to keep him away from the Yankees.

And it carely cost us anything.

It does also, depending on how he holds up, give us the option of bringing him back for a couple seasons and transition Paps back to the pen.

Yet they want Chamberlain and Hughes from us

What about DiSalvo and Thompson...that is similar to what the Sawx gave up

Teams are in collusion vs the yankees quite often in trades. We saw it clear as day when the dbacks wanted both nick johnson and alfonso soriano for curt schilling, we said no, then they settled for a COMPLETE PILE OF SH#T THATS AMOUNTED TO NOTHING from boston, for curt schilling.

I'm now reading the rangers wanted one of Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera or Alan Horne for Gagne. Thats 2 upper tier pitching prospects and a 22 yr old switch hitting CFer with a great arm and defense who already knows how to hit in the big leagues, yet they settle for a 4th OF type in Murphy and a completely worthless piece of garbage career minor leaguer in kason gabbard, a matt desalvo type

An absolute joke.

Teams are in collusion vs the yankees quite often in trades. We saw it clear as day when the dbacks wanted both nick johnson and alfonso soriano for curt schilling, we said no, then they settled for a COMPLETE PILE OF SH#T THATS AMOUNTED TO NOTHING from boston, for curt schilling.

I'm now reading the rangers wanted one of Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera or Alan Horne for Gagne. Thats 2 upper tier pitching prospects and a 22 yr old switch hitting CFer with a great arm and defense who already knows how to hit in the big leagues, yet they settle for a 4th OF type in Murphy and a completely worthless piece of garbage career minor leaguer in kason gabbard, a matt desalvo type

An absolute joke.

Maybe the Sox offered up some Cash Money in the deal...

An absolute joke.

Call me crazy, but I don't think that MLB teams will acept what they feel is lesser value in trades, just so that they can spite the Yankees.

That is not how it works.

You better believe they do.

You always try to get the best prospects- some teams will not give them up like with Hughes as an example- no GM is going to take less just to spite the Yanks- he will not be employed very long- you have things to learn about the business world.

The deal I am hearing is:

Gagne for David Murphy (a suitable 4th OFer), Kason Gabbard (a #4/5 lefty handed pitcher who is suited for Texas), and Engel Beltre (17 y/o Dominican player who was highly coveted in 2006 international signing period)

Not a bad deal, now Gagne just has to say yes.

You always try to get the best prospects- some teams will not give them up like with Hughes as an example- no GM is going to take less just to spite the Yanks- he will not be employed very long- you have things to learn about the business world.

Then explain to me how you ask for Soriano AND Nick Johnson, then settle for table scraps from another team.

You cannot. And today is yet another case of teams in collusion vs the Yankees. Dont be so naive, every team hates the Yankees. They only like them when they have a salary to dump.

Then explain to me how you ask for Soriano AND Nick Johnson, then settle for table scraps from another team.

You cannot. And today is yet another case of teams in collusion vs the Yankees. Dont be so naive, every team hates the Yankees. They only like them when they have a salary to dump.

Barton, teams are in it for themselves first, not to hurt other clubs first.

If you can help yourself, while hurtiung a rival, yes that happenms.

But for you to run around thinking that teams are only making moves in order to first hurt the Yankees, and then other things fall in line is naive thinking.

You are a lot smarter than to believe that.

Schilling has said that this is untrue. The D-Backs never asked for this package.

Take it for what it's worth.

But for you to run around thinking that teams are only making moves in order to first hurt the Yankees, and then other things fall in line is naive thinking.

Thats the best way to call someone stupid without actually calling them stupid... lol

Thats the best way to call someone stupid without actually calling them stupid... lol

Barton is smart and I would never call him or anyone on this site stupid.

There are notions that I disagree with, and I will debate those.

There used to be a person who call names here, but he has left to the football side.

You dont get it. Lets move on now.

You dont get it. Lets move on now.

Barton, I am an owner of a baseball team. I hire a GM to run the operations side of team building.

What goals do I give him to serve under my command?

-Make our team better in all moves (or at least build toward the future).

Or

-Hurt the Yankees.

Explain the rationale.

Archived