Papelbon picthing the 7th..

TaborJet

Papelbon has been automatic for like 2 years plus...he is the most dominant closer in the game and I dont want to hear about JJ Putz. Flash in the pan, just like Lidge was! Papelbon has the gas, the fearlessness and the intimidating presence, he is everything a closer should be!

Mariano, best closer ever, but as I have said...RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW Paps is the man and we all know it.

Jonathan Papelbon is the best, most dominant closer in baseball RIGHT NOW and that includes Gagne and Mariano.

Without throwing in the "Save" stat...

Paps: 2.15 ERA, 37.7 IP, 54 K, 0.903 WHIP

not bad

however...

JJ Putz: 0.89 ERA, 50.3 IP, 56 K, 0.576 WHIP

Joe Nathan: 1.88 ERA, 48 IP, 49 K, 1.083 WHIP

Billy Wagner: 1.39 ERA, 45.3 IP, 56 K, 0.838 WHIP

Trevor Hoffman: 1.75 ERA, 36 IP, 24 K, 0.750 WHIP

You gonna tell me Paps is better than ALL of these guys?

Not even close to Putz, but I don't even think he's #2

Season on the line, 9th inning, who do you want in the game? Mariano Rivera or Papelbon?

Exactly.

I'll take either one of them...

but with Papsmear, the season would never be on the line because his team would benefit greatly from playing 8 inning games all year...you know, like the Yankees USED TO.

PS, I love the chest-thumping after a meaningless Yankee win in the meaningless Yankee season.

I'll take either one of them...

but with Papsmear, the season would never be on the line because his team would benefit greatly from playing 8 inning games all year...you know, like the Yankees USED TO.

PS, I love the chest-thumping after a meaningless Yankee win in the meaningless Yankee season.

You'd take Rivera and we both know it. :cool:

You'd take Rivera and we both know it. :cool:

EB, no I wouldnt. Nary another objective poster would pass on Papelbon over any of those other pitchers. Im not even being a homer here...if I needed a 2-out single with the game on the line, Jetes is my guy. If I need a homerun in the bottom of the 3rd in August, Slappy is my guy...but Papelbon blows the doors off of great hitters.

I've seen mariano put about 1 or 2 guys on base before recording the save too many times...Papelbon is flat out more dominant.

EB, no I wouldnt. Nary another objective poster would pass on Papelbon over any of those other pitchers. Im not even being a homer here...if I needed a 2-out single with the game on the line, Jetes is my guy. If I need a homerun in the bottom of the 3rd in August, Slappy is my guy...but Papelbon blows the doors off of great hitters.

I've seen mariano put about 1 or 2 guys on base before recording the save too many times...Papelbon is flat out more dominant.

how is that Brandon Lyon kid donig these days?

didn't you say the same about him?

He's never been TRULY tested. How many postseason saves does he have?

None.

And the last time the Yankees saw him, Arod owned him.

He's never been TRULY tested. How many postseason saves does he have?

None.

EB, get with the program...I'm not talking about Mariano in 1996! Im talking right now! FYI, Mariano is the only pitcher to blow 2 postseason saves in less than 24 hours!

I'm talking about 2007, as Stu Scott would say, Paps is more Now!

EB, get with the program...I'm not talking about Mariano in 1996! Im talking right now! FYI, Mariano is the only pitcher to blow 2 postseason saves in less than 24 hours!

so you're going to quote lazy eye as your finishing statement?

Mariano has 34 postseason saves, Paps won't finish his career with half that, maybe not even a third of that.

Right now eh?

Papelbon blew his last save and Mo did not. Next!

so you're going to quote lazy eye as your finishing statement?

Mariano has 34 postseason saves, Paps won't finish his career with half that, maybe not even a third of that.

Ya see, anyone else would be frustrated with you rubes at this point. Not I however. I knew nobody in this Forum would be able to have a level-headed discussion about who is the more dominant closer than Jonathan Papelbon except maybe Bugg, who seems to be level-headed most of the time.

Inevitably, you passionate, yet deranged people were gonna revert back to "Mariano is the greatest closer of all time!!!!!" card. I would never argue that. I didnt argue that back in the Brandon Lyon days and Im not trying to argue that now. Simply, I am saying JP is the most dominant closer CURRENTLY in the game. He is filthy, he is scary, he is intense, and he is fearless...the epitome of a closer. No cheesy outdated heavy metal music needed. Putz = having a good year, he is no JP.

Mariano has had an unparalled career...I'd rather face him than JP RIGHT NOW, in the year 2007! Not in 1995, not in 2001, not even in 2004...but right freakin' now.

But like I said, I could see this whole thing coming. I knew y'all were incapable of this discussion...but I can do this as long as you can. In fact, Im gonna update my "Exit Sandman, enter Jonathan Papelbon thread."

Right now eh?

Papelbon blew his last save and Mo did not. Next!

You've got to be kidding me. Did Mo reach double digits in saves yet because if not, we dont have a big enough sample to pull from.

I mean EB seriously, if you wanna get retarded, 2 can play at that game:

OH YEAH, WELL PAPELBON MADE THE ALL STAR TEAM AND RIVERA DIDNT, SO THERE.

Ya see, anyone else would be frustrated with you rubes at this point. Not I however. I knew nobody in this Forum would be able to have a level-headed discussion about who is the more dominant closer than Jonathan Papelbon except maybe Bugg, who seems to be level-headed most of the time.

Inevitably, you passionate, yet deranged people were gonna revert back to "Mariano is the greatest closer of all time!!!!!" card. I would never argue that. I didnt argue that back in the Brandon Lyon days and Im not trying to argue that now. Simply, I am saying JP is the most dominant closer CURRENTLY in the game. He is filthy, he is scary, he is intense, and he is fearless...the epitome of a closer. No cheesy outdated heavy metal music needed. Putz = having a good year, he is no JP.

Mariano has had an unparalled career...I'd rather face him than JP RIGHT NOW, in the year 2007! Not in 1995, not in 2001, not even in 2004...but right freakin' now.

But like I said, I could see this whole thing coming. I knew y'all were incapable of this discussion...but I can do this as long as you can. In fact, Im gonna update my "Exit Sandman, enter Jonathan Papelbon thread."

Mariano in 1995 was not stellar one bit. Do some research man.

Name 4 Jets and tell me how Paps is better than Putz this year.

Mariano in 1995 was not stellar one bit. Do some research man.

Name 4 Jets and tell me how Paps is better than Putz this year.

The reading comprehension on this board is seriously lacking! My 5th graders would have been able to deduce the main idea of my last post.

blackout, I feel the pain of the Staten Island Community College professor who teaches "History of Rock N Roll".

You've got to be kidding me. Did Mo reach double digits in saves yet because if not, we dont have a big enough sample to pull from.

I mean EB seriously, if you wanna get retarded, 2 can play at that game:

OH YEAH, WELL PAPELBON MADE THE ALL STAR TEAM AND RIVERA DIDNT, SO THERE.

Name 5.

The only thing cheesy is Papelbon practicing his marshmellow man face in the mirror while trying to emulate Mariano Rivera. Now, THAT is cheesy. He looks like he's sucked on a lemon with that wannabe intimidating stare he trys to front. No matter, only a matter of time till the docs will be proven right about papelbons shoulder in the closer role.

Archived