Enough Is Enough

It is not a question of who is in charge, it is a question of negotiations. I think the proposal of a six year deal given the length of the contracts that have gone to the draft picks that surround his pick (5) years just does not make sense. A five year deal is consistent with where he was picked in the draft. Insisting on something different is I belive is silly.

Not at all, are the Jets to base their contract lengths on what other teams are willing to do? Please, Manngini, if he is anything at all like B.B. is looking long term not just this year. Jet fans don't want to hear this but Mangini would rather take a hit this year to make sure he isn't dealing with these kinds of issues every year to come. Do you think B.B. really wanted to trade Branch last year? Of course he didn't, but he knew that if he tore up the last year of Branch's contract, then what happens when it's Warren, or Wilfork's turn? Does he tear up the last year of their contracts too? Because that's what they are going to want. No, if the Jets fold now it sets a standard for every player to follow. Mangini can't afford that.

Not at all, are the Jets to base their contract lengths on what other teams are willing to do? Please, Manngini, if he is anything at all like B.B. is looking long term not just this year. Jet fans don't want to hear this but Mangini would rather take a hit this year to make sure he isn't dealing with these kinds of issues every year to come. Do you think B.B. really wanted to trade Branch last year? Of course he didn't, but he knew that if he tore up the last year of Branch's contract, then what happens when it's Warren, or Wilfork's turn? Does he tear up the last year of their contracts too? Because that's what they are going to want. No, if the Jets fold now it sets a standard for every player to follow. Mangini can't afford that.

I am not sure, but I believe I read that only one player in the top half of the draft where revis was picked has signed a six year deal. The six year deals are going to the players in the bottom half of the draft. I think this situation is very similar to the compensation that players receive based on draft position.I think this concept should extend to length of deals as well.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this point

After we get just 7-8 wins this year, all the moronic fans and media types will call Mangini out, guaranteed. And its unfortunate to say, but in 2006 we might have been better off going 7-9 instead of the 10-6 like we did. The expectations for this team by the media and the majority of fans are far too high; there is only gonna be a letdown for most (not for me & others, 8-8 in 07' is an improvement).

Fans and media forget that last year was a rebuilding year, and that we just so happened to go 10-6.

After we get just 7-8 wins this year, all the moronic fans and media types will call Mangini out, guaranteed. And its unfortunate to say, but in 2006 we might have been better off going 7-9 instead of the 10-6 like we did. The expectations for this team by the media and the majority of fans are far too high; there is only gonna be a letdown for most (not for me & others, 8-8 in 07' is an improvement).

Fans and media forget that last year was a rebuilding year, and that we just so happened to go 10-6.

Someday you won't be 17. Then your posts are gonna rock. I can't wait.

The hatred these some of these guys have since they no longer have Edwards spoonfeeding them is really bad joke.

NFL coaches get paid to win. Whether they get along with the media is really irrelevant.

As to "The Sopranos" cameo-who would turn that down?

I really hate the Knute Rockne hafltime speech thing. We had that guy for 5 years; that gets you nowhere.

In the age of the internet, some reporters like O'Connor and Canizzaro aren't going to do very much but whine. Others like Lange and Cimini will find stories. Sorry you now have to work, Ian, you whiny little _____ ______ ______.

Bill Walsh had a different personality.But he wasn't a saint; he had a team that cut-blocked and cheated on the cap and did what ever it took to win. And I find no fault with Walsh doing those things, but just because he died doesn't mean he wasn't as hard-edged as any othe successful NFL HC.

Genius? Not so quick

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By IAN O'CONNOR

RECORD COLUMNIST

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- If you did not know any better, you would believe Eric Mangini was paid millions to suck the life out of every room he ever entered. Mangini emerges from the House of Belichick, a brood of NFL automatons designed to take the entertainment out of your entertainment dollar six days a week.

On the seventh day, you get the payoff: a football team that wins more games than it loses. It doesn't matter that Mangini appears incapable of delivering a Knute Rockne speech at halftime. It only matters that his Jets play with a win-one-for-the-Gipper zeal.

But this is where Mangini had better be careful. Charisma-free guys like him need to keep up their winning percentages to survive, and the moment the losses come raining down faster than the forecast suggested they would, Mangini could land on the jagged edges of a career crisis.

He could become Tom Coughlin in a New York/New Jersey minute.

It might've seemed like a minor miracle on the surface, but what Mangini accomplished in his first season was merely the easy part. Converting Herman Edwards' 4-12 into a 10-6 was no more difficult than Bill Parcells converting Rich Kotite's 1-15 into a 9-7.

The hard part is upgrading a winning team into a Super Bowl team. Parcells couldn't get there with the Jets, losing his one legitimate shot in the Mile High winds before his master plan was sliced in half the following September, severed as cleanly as Vinny Testaverde's Achilles'.

A football program can turn on you faster than a rabid pet. The wrong injury to the wrong guy at the wrong time can make your team vulnerable on every given Sunday.

So until further notice, Mangini is a one-hit wonder. Just another coach who figured out how to lose a playoff game to Bill Belichick.

They call him a genius, anyway. It's a word thrown around sports as easily as a wet towel is thrown around a locker room. Genius. I've been covering pro sports for 20 years and still have only met one.

Bill Walsh. He died Monday, and his wit and wisdom will be missed. So will his style. Walsh was a presence, a personality, a man defined by his intellectual curiosity and public grace.

He represented an era when coaches were far more than scheme-spewing drones.

That era has been replaced by this one, fronted by Belichick. Control-freak coaches who put their franchises in lockdown and refuse to offer the public even the quickest sneak peek inside.

Assistants are muzzled. Questions are dodged. Say-nothing answers are provided in the most mind-numbing tone.

Mangini learned from the best in New England, in more ways than one. In fact, the Jets' coach was so good as a rookie in boring news conference audiences to tears and in winning football games to boot, Belichick turned Jet-green with envy.

He wouldn't refer to his prodigal protege by name, and he wouldn't give him a real handshake at midfield. Beyond that, Belichick kept making the '06 Jets out to be the '72 Dolphins. He kept talking up their talent, his way of talking down Mangini's coaching.

Truth was, Mangini had no running game last year, no Thomas Jones to turn to and his quarterback still had the feel of a man held together by Band-Aids and glue. Chad Pennington made it to the finish line, bless his heart, but he never scrambled away from the notion that one good hit would leave him looking

very funny Ecko that pic was taken in Cleveland when I wore..gasp.. McCareins..but then again he did score the winning touchdown and signed my jersey after the game.

I didn't want to say JMac, but I am guilty as well, I also have JMac's jersey:bag.

On the Revis part...Couldn't the Jets/Revis' agent some sort of mutually agree on a 6-year voidable option?

you would think something could be done at this point...the tough stance from both sides make it seem like there has to be something else involved

I know, this totally makes no sense. I keep reading that they have agreed on the money . If that's true... JUST GET HIM IN CAMP. End of story. If they screw with the kid now, don't you think that it will stay in the back of his mind when his contract runs up and he's a RFA. They (FO) need to think of the big picture here.