SAT. 8/4 TC REPORT

gangreenman

Okay, this is my first ever TC report (also my first session this offseason) so it may not be that great but I decided to give it a try.

General Observations:

--Another HOT one today. I was already sweating by the time I walked from the parking lot to the practice field!

--The team was in shells (helmets and shoulder pads only) and it was not even close to a full contact practice.

Positional Breakdown

QB:

Pennington- Didn't look so sharp today but he's still the best QB out there. As usual, he made smart decisions and completed a lot of passes but most of his throws lacked the speed and 'zip' you would like to see out of an NFL QB. (A lot of times the WR had to wait for the ball to arrive)

Clemens- Starting to show some potential but isn't quite there yet. His passes have more zip then Pennington's and he is starting to settle in but still needs to work on the nuances of being a QB (i.e. Looking off defenders) On one play in the 7 v.7 drills, he made a great, strong throw to Frisman Jackson but because he locked in so earl, Rhodes was able to get a hand in and bat the pass away. Another thing I would like to see out of Clemens is some more confidence. In the 11 v.11 2 minute drills, he looked nervous in the pocket and as a result he threw two balls away as the offense went 3 and out.

Tuisasosopo- Great arm, probably the best arm on the team, but he's not a very good QB. True, his passes have a lot of zip and get to the receiver in a hurry, but he needs to be able to scan the field and not just zero in on one guy. Also, reports have said he is a good 'scrambler' but I didnt see that out of him once today. Instead, he just either threw it away or tried to force it in there when he was being rushed.

WR: Coles: This guy was actually wearing LONG PANTS for the whole practice today despite the heat and the unbearable humidity! Anyway, I got what I expected from Coles, hustle on every play, no dropped balls, did what was expected him and made all the routine plays.

McCareins: He would probably get the MVP of the practice in my book. Every time I turned around, there was J-Mac making another good play. Since Coles and Cotchery are good receivers (not to mention good fits for the Jets offense) I don’t expect J-Mac to see more then slot-time. However, his speed, his height, and his veteran awareness (did a great job at keeping his feet in bounds on a lot of plays today) should give defenses even more to think about…

Cotchery: Just a smooth WR and fun to watch. Also does exactly what you expect of him and is a great compliment to Coles, giving Pennington a fast, tall, physical WR with great hands to go to when Coles cant shake his defenders. Cotch, is also a presence over the middle in the 8-12 yd range, where he caught most of his receptions today.

Frisman Jackson – I was VERY impressed with this guy today. Played mostly with the 2nd team but also got a few reps with the starters. Made one very nice TD grab, connecting with Clemens in the back of the endzone in a 7v7 redzone drill…

I’m going to stop the WR breakdown there and go to the RB’s

RB: TJones: This guy is THE MAN in the backfield. Although there was very limited contact today, what I saw of Jones, I liked. Solid blocker, powerful RB and is probably the strongest guy I’ve ever seen.

Wahington- Leon actually had a very limited number of reps today for some reason as TJ got most of the first team reps and Banks got a lot of time playing with the 2nd team…So I didn’t see so much from Leon today.

Banks: Well, from what I saw today…If this guy ends up seeing a lot of time this season, we’re in trouble.

Other Notables:

--Still no sign of Revis, and disgruntled Pete Kendall was back to playing mostly with the 2nd team today.

--On one play, in an 11 v 11 redzone drill, Pennington was being rushed and tried dumping the ball off to RB Thomas Jones, but underthrew him, passing it right to LB Eric Barton. Barton, however, lost concentration and dropped the ball…resulting in Vilma spiking the ball at him.

-- In another 11 v 11 redzone drill, the 2nd team was on and Clemens handed it to Banks, who was eaten up immediately by the defense. As soon as the whistle blew, you could hear OL coach Tony Wise screaming at OLineman Nick Smith, who would run an extra long lap (around both fields).

--Both Coles and Cotchery fielded punts today, but not Leon Washington, who instead appeared to be working with the 3rd team doing an OL vs DL drill… ( I hope everything is okay)

That’s all I’ve got…Hope you guys enjoyed it!!

Cotchery: Just a smooth WR and fun to watch. Also does exactly what you expect of him and is a great compliment to Coles, giving Pennington a fast, tall, physical WR with great hands to go to when Coles cant shake his defenders. Cotch, is also a presence over the middle in the 8-12 yd range, where he caught most of his receptions today.

Cotchery is a possession guy.. He's not FAST.

-- In another 11 v 11 redzone drill, the 2nd team was on and Clemens handed it to Banks, who was eaten up immediately by the defense. As soon as the whistle blew, you could hear OL coach Tony Wise screaming at OLineman Ed Blanton, who would run an extra long lap (around both fields).

Wasn't Blanton cut?

As for Cotchery, what makes you think He's not FAST?

As for Blanton, you're right, I made a mistake... The person that ran the lap was Nick Smith...

He ran a 4.5+ coming out of college... which is why he dropped to round 4.

Okay, this is my first ever TC report (also my first session this offseason) so it may not be that great but I decided to give it a try.

General Observations:

--Another HOT one today. I was already sweating by the time I walked from the parking lot to the practice field!

--The team was in shells (helmets and shoulder pads only) and it was not even close to a full contact practice.

Positional Breakdown

QB:

Pennington- Didn't look so sharp today but he's still the best QB out there. As usual, he made smart decisions and completed a lot of passes but most of his throws lacked the speed and 'zip' you would like to see out of an NFL QB. (A lot of times the WR had to wait for the ball to arrive)

Clemens- Starting to show some potential but isn't quite there yet. His passes have more zip then Pennington's and he is starting to settle in but still needs to work on the nuances of being a QB (i.e. Looking off defenders) On one play in the 7 v.7 drills, he made a great, strong throw to Frisman Jackson but because he locked in so earl, Rhodes was able to get a hand in and bat the pass away. Another thing I would like to see out of Clemens is some more confidence. In the 11 v.11 2 minute drills, he looked nervous in the pocket and as a result he threw two balls away as the offense went 3 and out.

Tuisasosopo- Great arm, probably the best arm on the team, but he's not a very good QB. True, his passes have a lot of zip and get to the receiver in a hurry, but he needs to be able to scan the field and not just zero in on one guy. Also, reports have said he is a good 'scrambler' but I didnt see that out of him once today. Instead, he just either threw it away or tried to force it in there when he was being rushed.

WR: Coles: This guy was actually wearing LONG PANTS for the whole practice today despite the heat and the unbearable humidity! Anyway, I got what I expected from Coles, hustle on every play, no dropped balls, did what was expected him and made all the routine plays.

McCareins: He would probably get the MVP of the practice in my book. Every time I turned around, there was J-Mac making another good play. Since Coles and Cotchery are good receivers (not to mention good fits for the Jets offense) I don’t expect J-Mac to see more then slot-time. However, his speed, his height, and his veteran awareness (did a great job at keeping his feet in bounds on a lot of plays today) should give defenses even more to think about…

Frisman Jackson – I was VERY impressed with this guy today. Played mostly with the 2nd team but also got a few reps with the starters. Made one very nice TD grab, connecting with Clemens in the back of the endzone in a 7v7 redzone drill…

I’m going to stop the WR breakdown there and go to the RB’s

RB: TJones: This guy is THE MAN in the backfield. Although there was very limited contact today, what I saw of Jones, I liked. Solid blocker, powerful RB and is probably the strongest guy I’ve ever seen.

Wahington- Leon actually had a very limited number of reps today for some reason as TJ got most of the first team reps and Banks got a lot of time playing with the 2nd team…So I didn’t see so much from Leon today.

Banks: Well, from what I saw today…If this guy ends up seeing a lot of time this season, we’re in trouble.

Other Notables:

--Still no sign of Revis, and disgruntled Pete Kendall was back to playing mostly with the 2nd team today.

--On one play, in an 11 v 11 redzone drill, Pennington was being rushed and tried dumping the ball off to RB Thomas Jones, but underthrew him, passing it right to LB Eric Barton. Barton, however, lost concentration and dropped the ball…resulting in Vilma spiking the ball at him.

-- In another 11 v 11 redzone drill, the 2nd team was on and Clemens handed it to Banks, who was eaten up immediately by the defense. As soon as the whistle blew, you could hear OL coach Tony Wise screaming at OLineman Nick Smith, who would run an extra long lap (around both fields).

--Both Coles and Cotchery fielded punts today, but not Leon Washington, who instead appeared to be working with the 3rd team doing an OL vs DL drill… ( I hope everything is okay)

That’s all I’ve got…Hope you guys enjoyed it!!

Thank you for your report! I enjoyed it and hope to see more of your reports!

General Observations:

Positional Breakdown

QB:

McCareins: He would probably get the MVP of the practice in my book. Every time I turned around, there was J-Mac making another good play. Since Coles and Cotchery are good receivers (not to mention good fits for the Jets offense) I don

If I have to hear the word ZIP one more time I'm going to scream. Most of you don't even have a clue on what it means. Sorry to pick on you man, but it just fustrates me to hear it.

I don't appreciate you trashing his TC report because you don't agree with some of it.

I will delete all this type of nonsense from here on out.

Nice report!

However, I think Chad was in good form today, and was very accurate until the tail end of the practice. I thought he had real good touch on the ball, but that's just my opinion, I'm no expert.

Once again, he made good decisions and completed a lot of passes, but most were in the air for under 10 yds and the ones that were longer were floaters. He's still the best we got but he's going to need a stronger arm if we want to go deep into the playoffs with this team.

Once again, he made good decisions and completed a lot of passes, but most were in the air for under 10 yds and the ones that were longer were floaters. He's still the best we got but he's going to need a stronger arm if we want to go deep into the playoffs with this team.

He needs ZIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't appreciate you trashing his TC report because you don't agree with some of it.

I agree with you. I am very gald to see you monitoring nonsense like that! Things like that are what makes this board so good!

who trashed anything? Just said I am growing tired of hearing the word zip, and questioned 2 legit points in his report (Cotchery being fast... he's not a speed player.. he's very good but his game is not centered around speed) and Blanton (who was cut).

Calm down... nothing was trashed...

I agree with you. I am very gald to see you monitoring nonsense like that! Things like that are what makes this board so good!

Nonsense, huh?

Explain to me how what I posted was nonsense. Cotchery is fast? No, he isn't.. that's not his game, HE'LL TELL YOU THAT if you could ask him. Blanton made a block? Well no, he was cut.. None of that is nonsense.

Then I threw one more editorial in that I'm tired of hearing the word zip... Sorry, I am... most misuse the damned term. Not every ball has to be on a line thrown 100 mph to be a good pass.

His arm isnt going to get much stronger than it is now.

I didnt think his passes floated today. He had really good touch on them. That's what he does. Clemens didnt come close to Chad in accuracy on the EZ fade passes. Chad completed them.

His arm isnt going to get much stronger than it is now.

I didnt think his passes floated today. He had really good touch on them. That's what he does. Clemens didnt come close to Chad in accuracy on the EZ fade passes. Chad completed them.

Put it this way, if we want to win a Super Bowl with the team we have, we're going to need a QB that can throw it accurately 20-30 yards on a rope. Pennington isnt that person. I agree that Clemens doesnt come close to Penny's accuracy...Thats why i said that Penny's the best we've got.

What's good about CP is that he is smart. He knows what's expected of him and he knows how to run an offense and thats not such a common thing of an NFL QB these days. Because he is smart, he knows his strengths and weaknesses and he knows how to use his strengths to overcome his weaknesses, so he doesnt throw the 'thread the needle' passes because he knows he cant. All I'm saying is that since our defense isnt exactly the 06 bears or the 00 Ravens, I think we need a guy that is as smart as CP but can thread that needle if he has to or hit a WR in stride...Pennington isnt good at either.

Put it this way, if we want to win a Super Bowl with the team we have, we're going to need a QB that can throw it accurately 20-30 yards on a rope. Pennington isnt that person. I agree that Clemens doesnt come close to Penny's accuracy...Thats why i said that Penny's the best we've got.

What's good about CP is that he is smart. He knows what's expected of him and he knows how to run an offense and thats not such a common thing of an NFL QB these days. Because he is smart, he knows his strengths and weaknesses and he knows how to use his strengths to overcome his weaknesses, so he doesnt throw the 'thread the needle' passes because he knows he cant. All I'm saying is that since our defense isnt exactly the 06 bears or the 00 Ravens, I think we need a guy that is as smart as CP but can thread that needle if he has to or hit a WR in stride...Pennington isnt good at either.

Great report, thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort. I do these too, and it isn't always easy to get every fact right, going from memory.

I do dsiagree about your take on what a QB has to be to be a SB contender. There is no denying that Pennington has a weakness in his game... his arm stregnth. He is a touch QB, but that doesn't mean he can't win in the playoffs. There have been several SB winning teams that had a QB with far more holes in their talent set than Pennington has. In addition, if the running offense can ever get to be above average, Pennington's play action is perhaps the best in the league. That will help immensely, if the running game can improve and be consistant. There are very few QB's in the league that can hold a candle to the other assets Pennington has, there are few Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings, QB's that have no shortcomings in their overall game. but, that is a discussion for another thread. I'd rather have chad than Eli.

Ferguson has had a rather up and down camp it seems. Or, it may be that the coaches have taken off the kid gloves with him, to challenge and push him harder this year. I think it's a bit of both. With Kendall likely gone, Brick will have to be the leader on the left side of the O line.... as well he should be, as a #4 pick.

Curtis Martin always wore long pants at practice.

Nice report GGM!!

Great report, thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort. I do these too, and it isn't always easy to get every fact right, going from memory.

I do dsiagree about your take on what a QB has to be to be a SB contender. There is no denying that Pennington has a weakness in his game... his arm stregnth. He is a touch QB, but that doesn't mean he can't win in the playoffs. There have been several SB winning teams that had a QB with far more holes in their talent set than Pennington has. In addition, if the running offense can ever get to be above average, Pennington's play action is perhaps the best in the league. That will help immensely, if the running game can improve and be consistant. There are very few QB's in the league that can hold a candle to the other assets Pennington has, there are few Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings, QB's that have no shortcomings in their overall game. but, that is a discussion for another thread. I'd rather have chad than Eli.

Ferguson has had a rather up and down camp it seems. Or, it may be that the coaches have taken off the kid gloves with him, to challenge and push him harder this year. I think it's a bit of both. With Kendall likely gone, Brick will have to be the leader on the left side of the O line.... as well he should be, as a #4 pick.

I agree and disagree...I agree that QB's that are worse then Chad have won the SB. I disagree that our team is comparable to the teams that those QB's won the SB. Our team is very good and should be a playoff contender this year, but we either need to stack up more on the defense or find a way to improve Penny's arm strength if we want to take our game to the next level...Just my opinion.

You may be a world renowned expert on zip, but you have some things to learn about football speed.

I understand football speed. Cotchery plays faster than Coles, for instance, even though, back in his day, Coles ran a 4.2... Straight line speed doesn't matter that much, but "Fast" is not something cotchery should be accused of.

Nice report!

However, I think Chad was in good form today, and was very accurate until the tail end of the practice. I thought he had real good touch on the ball, but that's just my opinion, I'm no expert.

If I hear one more person say touch, lol!!! Cane I am jealous man, I wish they were in NJ now so I could see all these practices! Two more years and you will be reading our thoughts.

And Gangreenman -- good report. Thank you for posting it. Much appreciated!!!

gee, its hard enough to get from westchester to LI following the Jets TC schedule, now I have to follow JC's schedule too to get credit?? Thats very unproffesional in my opinion:p

Maybe JetCane can subcontract you to do the reports for him. You can get half of his pay as well. Sweet deal!!!

Cane I am jealous man, I wish they were in NJ now so I could see all these practices!

I was thinking how this tc was going to be my swan song for tc stuff, but of course construction got delayed, and now I will have next year to get out there, too. That works for me.

If I hear one more person say touch, lol!!!

He's looked really good on throwing the EZ fades, and when you see how difficult it is to lay it in there (the other QBs havent done as well) you appreciate how difficult it is to make some of these throws.

Two more years and you will be reading our thoughts.

A scary thought, to be sure. ;)

Archived