Klecko Hall of Fame

BigOrangeJetFan

During yesterday's ESPN Dan Patrick show, Mark Schlereth stated that he believes Joe Klecko should be in the hall in Canton. He said that Klecko revolutionized the "off angle" stance off the center/guard and that 4 Pro Bowls for 3 different positions made him eligible. Agree?

AGREE! I have been campaigning for KLECKO several years now. I have written to the Hall and requested that Joe be inducted ASAP! The man made the PRO BOWL at 3 different positions! He was a team leader and gave 110 per cent on the field. Yes, he belongs!

Best player on one of the most dominate front fours of their era. Leader of one of the better defenses of its era. If he spent more time talking s**t and gesticulating on camera he might already be in the hall. He would have been on Sportscenter every Sunday night. Instead he went out and played hard. Played a dominate game of football at three line positions. Changed the way the nose tackle lines up at his position. But most importantly when you hear the great o-linemen of their era (Munoz, Webster, Stephenson, etc) speak about the best d-linemen they played against Klecko is usually one of the 2 or 3 guys mentioned. That tells me the players on the field respected the player, his abilities and his effort. The sportswriters and reporters that makeup the selection committee should take note and do the right thing..

Hall of "Very Good" in my opinion. Falls just short. I'm a tough grader though.

So says JetsIn2004. Anyone who argues against Klecko being inducted is probably cut from the same cloth as those who spew that Namath doesn't belong there. Aye, God.

"Very Good". What a joke that statement is. A tough grader? 'What I Did On My Summer Vacation' would be a good starting point.

So says JetsIn2004. Anyone who argues against Klecko being inducted is probably cut from the same cloth as those who spew that Namath doesn't belong there. Aye, God.

"Very Good". What a joke that statement is. A tough grader? 'What I Did On My Summer Vacation' would be a good starting point.

AEC4 is JetsIn2004 from TGG?????

HAHAHAHAHAAHHA....

If you want to keep him out because of 'roids then that is another story. You might have to keep a generation of linemen out of the hall in that case but Klecko was a spectacular example according to many accounts.

Hehe, no evidence. Just a hunch because it sounds like the same Mynah Bird. :)

Oh wow... what a self promoting blow hard... I think I had one of my more incendiary blow outs with him over there. They lost the board a while back our you could have looked it up.

He was spectaculary and obnoxiously wrong about Ben Graham BTW. Spent weeks and months expaining why it was going to be a physical impossibility for Ben Graham to successfully crossover from Aussie rules football. Anyone who disagreed with him was put down in the harshest and most condescending manner....

Anyhow... another board another time...

Oh wow... what a self promoting blow hard... I think I had one of my more incendiary blow outs with him over there. They lost the board a while back our you could have looked it up.

He was spectaculary and obnoxiously wrong about Ben Graham BTW. Spent weeks and months expaining why it was going to be a physical impossibility for Ben Graham to successfully crossover from Aussie rules football. Anyone who disagreed with him was put down in the harshest and most condescending manner....

Anyhow... another board another time...

Ben%20Graham%20009%281%29.jpg

Ben Graham does the "Hokey Pokey" so much better than me. Life is so unfair.

I never saw him play in person but by looking at his stats and reading about how he played every position on the Defensive Line and made the Pro Bowl at each spot, I don't know why he wouldn't be up for at least consideration.

Who says Joe was on steroids? He certainly didn't have the charactistics. He was pudgy with no real definition, unlike guys like Matusak and Alzado.

Doc...he has admitted using steroids during NFL strongman competitions. So it is not a stretch to think he did them during the season as well.

As for players in the hall that used Mike Webster is in there and he was one of the bigger steroid users of his day. As were his Steelers o-line mates Kolb, Clack and Courson. I have read that the Chargers were giving steroids to their linemen in 1963. I believe that in the 70's at least 7 out of 10 linemen experimented with steroids. Heck maybe 8 out of 10.

**Not saying that Kolb, Clack and Courson are HOFer's. Just big time users.

I am sad to say Klecko is just not going to get voted in. His opportunity has passed by-it is a shame for someone that excelled at multiple positions.

Why don't we start sending e-mail and reg. mail and phone calls to the Hall on behalf of JOE KLECKO.

Incidentally, I never heard Joe say he took steroids to anyone during any strongman contest! The man was naturally strong! I saw him in the lockerroom and weight room at HOFSTRA and the guy did not act like he was on steroids! He NEVER exhibited ROID RAGE either! That is extremely characteristic of roid users! I know that he had a brush with the law after he retired but it was NOT steroid related. Look at him today and he still looks as he did during his prime! I strongly doubt that Joe was ever a roid user! He belongs in the Hall of Fame and we, his fans and friends, should ban together and let the Hall and the media know how we feel!

It's not just that he excelled at multiple positions. his 1977-1978 seasons were waisted by playing DE in a stupid 3-4 defense with Abdul Salaam and Lawrence Pillers that never blitzed, he was getting quadruple teamed every week. he had a serious career threatening Knee injury in 1982 that he came back from and made multiple pro bowls afterwards.

The guy was special, he should be in the Hall.

During yesterday's ESPN Dan Patrick show, Mark Schlereth stated that he believes Joe Klecko should be in the hall in Canton. He said that Klecko revolutionized the "off angle" stance off the center/guard and that 4 Pro Bowls for 3 different positions made him eligible. Agree?

Klecko absolutely belongs in the HOF. As does Winnie Hill. Klecko had a couple of injury prone years that probably hurt the perception of him. But when he played, he dominated. And I mean a kind of pick up an opposing o-lineman and toss him aside kind of dominance. The Pro Bowls at three different positions alone should have got him in. I am not sure what Schlereth means by "revolutioned" the off angle stance, but just to be accurate, it was Joe Greene in the 70s who first did it.

Klecko absolutely belongs in the HOF. As does Winnie Hill. Klecko had a couple of injury prone years that probably hurt the perception of him. But when he played, he dominated. And I mean a kind of pick up an opposing o-lineman and toss him aside kind of dominance. The Pro Bowls at three different positions alone should have got him in. I am not sure what Schlereth means by "revolutioned" the off angle stance, but just to be accurate, it was Joe Greene in the 70s who first did it.

Klecko did that angle thing as a NT, Joe Greene did it as a DT. maybe that's what Schlereth meant?

He did dominate though.

Klecko did that angle thing as a NT, Joe Greene did it as a DT. maybe that's what Schlereth meant?

He did dominate though.

Maybe. That reminds me of Klecko playing his last year with the Colts. That really upset me. Just like watching Joe Namath as a Ram.

Why don't we start sending e-mail and reg. mail and phone calls to the Hall on behalf of JOE KLECKO.

Incidentally, I never heard Joe say he took steroids to anyone during any strongman contest! The man was naturally strong! I saw him in the lockerroom and weight room at HOFSTRA and the guy did not act like he was on steroids! He NEVER exhibited ROID RAGE either! That is extremely characteristic of roid users! I know that he had a brush with the law after he retired but it was NOT steroid related. Look at him today and he still looks as he did during his prime! I strongly doubt that Joe was ever a roid user! He belongs in the Hall of Fame and we, his fans and friends, should ban together and let the Hall and the media know how we feel!

Kentucky Jet- He admits to using them before NFL Stongman Competitions 79-81.

http://books.google.com/books?id=I7-D2jH-OJ4C&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=klecko+steroids&source=web&ots=UEmT3fc9qV&sig=ztjRDjP7lZWQpKFt_XGDFApshh0

But you are right he is NATURALLY strong. If you don't have it pick up the book "Nose To Nose". It is from the viewpoint of Klecko and Fields. It isn't the typical football book. It goes into the more personal things: family, NFL life, retirement, etc. Excellent read.

Archived