BONDS!*

timbok

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just saw the highlight and they showed Selig. It looked like he had a mock smile on his face.

LOL

To be honst, Im torn... I wish I could cheer for the guy (bonds) but the fact is he cheated... how can I root on a cheater in my right mind...???

I would hope he is not on them now, and wasnt for a lot of his career... so he is a great player regardless...

We all know he cheated, but without a positive test or knowing what is in the grand jury testimony, it will go down as a solid career.

Either way congrats to Mr. Bonds. Enjoy your record, A-Rod is guning for you. Be happy JR was hurt the last 6 years or we would have celebrated him 2 years ago.

One good thing to come out of this-a real appreciation for the day in day out relentless workmanlike career of Hank Aaron. Stupidity and ignorance by imbeciles clouded understanding what he accomplished at the time. Now looking back hopefully Americans can see what they missed about this decent man first time around. It takes nothing away from the greatness of Babe Ruth and others to see Aaron was an all time great. Though that if Mays-a electric player, charismatic, NY connection, a unbelievable talent-had gotten to 714, things might have been different. We'll never know. And that still focuses how hard Aaron's acheivement was. Mays simply wasn't capable of doing much twards the end.

As a Yankee fan, I look at it this way-Mantle pissed away so much partying his ass off 24/7 . If he had half the work ethic of either Aaron or Mays, we're having a different thread.

RobertoClemente_WillieMays_HankAaron.jpg

HankAaron.jpg

01.jpg

We all know he cheated, but without a positive test or knowing what is in the grand jury testimony, it will go down as a solid career.

Either way congrats to Mr. Bonds. Enjoy your record, A-Rod is guning for you. Be happy JR was hurt the last 6 years or we would have celebrated him 2 years ago.

Nice post KH

:character0293:

BOOO

Yes!

The only people who care about this reside in Bristol, Connecticut.

Are you sure?

He had a perfectly great HoF career. But he cheated.

tx_sign.jpg

5z6f7kj.jpg

Enjoy your

I don't think Bugg likes Barry Bonds. haha!

I agree with all of you, he's a jerkoff.

First, congrats on tying and the eventual passing of the record. I wonder how much outrage is being deluded due to a worthy successor being so close to reclaiming the record?

Second, I have to agree with Kid. All we have is speculation. Even as photographic evidence makes it that much more believable and plausible, it is all speculation. Which leads us to two questions? As Nefi Perez suggests, roids do not make you a great player. Talent does. How deep is the suspected roid player pool? IMHO Canseco's percentage of usage is probably pretty close to being factual. Barry has always been talented and short of 2001 he has been a consistent HR hitter during his entire career. He consistently hit 30 or more HRs for 13 straight seasons. Compared to McGwire and Sosa who went from 30/40 to 60/70 for a short period. Barry has always hit.

Last, I am of the party that either everything from the Roid ERA is erased or basically STFU on the matter. I want to believe that Cal and Tony were roid free for their entire careers. However, I would not bet my life on it. I am also not of the party to think all the number booms over the past two decades are strictly roid driven. It is called progress. I have been going to gyms for over two decades. The equipment today is light years ahead of the gym I used in HS. Then you factor in medicine, medical treatment and legal substances, the players today. Look at A-Rod for proof of this. The guy is a product of today's sports society. Players are going to be bigger, faster and stronger. Especially, in a sports driven society. Bonds is not an indictment of the roids era. He is an indictment of the sports culture as a whole.

honestly, i hate Barry more than anybody here

but ill admit, anybody who can come off steroids and still be in the MLB at age 43 deserves some credit

isn't it funny that the pitcher he hit it off was suspended for PED's in the minors a few years ago? Hensley.

Enjoy your tainted record Barry, you (don't really) deserve it.

First, congrats on tying and the eventual passing of the record. I wonder how much outrage is being deluded due to a worthy successor being so close to reclaiming the record?

Second, I have to agree with Kid. All we have is speculation. Even as photographic evidence makes it that much more believable and plausible, it is all speculation. Which leads us to two questions? As Nefi Perez suggests, roids do not make you a great player. Talent does. How deep is the suspected roid player pool? IMHO Canseco's percentage of usage is probably pretty close to being factual. Barry has always been talented and short of 2001 he has been a consistent HR hitter during his entire career. He consistently hit 30 or more HRs for 13 straight seasons. Compared to McGwire and Sosa who went from 30/40 to 60/70 for a short period. Barry has always hit.

Last, I am of the party that either everything from the Roid ERA is erased or basically STFU on the matter. I want to believe that Cal and Tony were roid free for their entire careers. However, I would not bet my life on it. I am also not of the party to think all the number booms over the past two decades are strictly roid driven. It is called progress. I have been going to gyms for over two decades. The equipment today is light years ahead of the gym I used in HS. Then you factor in medicine, medical treatment and legal substances, the players today. Look at A-Rod for proof of this. The guy is a product of today's sports society. Players are going to be bigger, faster and stronger. Especially, in a sports driven society. Bonds is not an indictment of the roids era. He is an indictment of the sports culture as a whole.

I agree with the post, but again, Neifi Perez was using amphetamines, not steroids.

Too bad he didn't stay in Pittsburgh and stay clean, he could be passing Willie Mays on the list this year.

LOL

To be honst, Im torn... I wish I could cheer for the guy (bonds) but the fact is he cheated... how can I root on a cheater in my right mind...???

I would hope he is not on them now, and wasnt for a lot of his career... so he is a great player regardless...

You have if you ever cheered for Giambi or Sheffield ......probably Roger and Andy as well. It's a shame Baseball was tarnished by this but Selig is playing it correct IMO. He just needs to remember that in the 2003 tests 1 in 7 players failed so it's obviously not just Barry. Bond's predicament is because he's just the most talented cheater.

On Bugg's thoughts on Mays.....if Willie didn't play in Candlestick he would have hit 800 HR's.....same for Mickey had he stayed healthy and taken better care of himself.

You have if you ever cheered for Giambi or Sheffield ......probably Roger and Andy as well. It's a shame Baseball was tarnished by this but Selig is playing it correct IMO. He just needs to remember that in the 2003 tests 1 in 7 players failed so it's obviously not just Barry. Bond's predicament is because he's just the most talented cheater.

On Bugg's thoughts on Mays.....if Willie didn't play in Candlestick he would have hit 800 HR's.....same for Mickey had he stayed healthy and taken better care of himself.

Andy Pettitte's on steroids?

huh.gif

Most anti-climatic event in sports history. But is Bonds truly a fraud?

Lets look at the numbers. While Bonds hat size exploded, he blasted an incredible 209 home runs between 2001-2004. He hit an astronomical 73 HR's in 2001. Physically, it was obvious that Bonds was artificially bulking up his muscles. But take a look at the previous 5 seasons, he hit 202 HR's.

Bonds increased his HR AVG by 12.5 HR's a season. Not enough to raise a red flag in and of itself but it becomes suspect because his HR totals were increasing during the twilight of his career, when most power hitters have already peaked and are on a steady decline.

Remember, Bonds was a rookie in 1986. He hit 73 HR's at age 37. He just hit # 755 at age 43.

Aaron had 733 at age 40.

The one thing that stands out when you look at Aaron, he was consistent, always average about 40 HR's a season; He never had that one season that was out of the norm. He never really peaked, he was always steady, until the last three years when mother nature finally called.

Where I raise the red flag is how Bonds fell off the map in 2005, under federal investigation and public scrutiny for steroid abuse. Bonds HR totals have been anemic since then. Chalk it up to old age? Maybe he just hit the proverbial wall? Well...

Since the league began testing for steroids, HR percentages overall are down in dramatic fashion. Bonds wanted this record in a bad way, and I believe juice is what gave him enough edge to achieve it.

I can't for the life of me figure out what possessed him to do it. He was having a HOF career. He didn't need this record. It used to mean something, but Bonds, McGuire and Sosa destroyed the integrity of it all.

If you drew a line graph for all 4 players, you will see that Aaron is the only one without an anomaly.

Bonds was on his way to being a hll of famer when he was with Pittsburgh, even though he was unable to throw out Sid Bream at home plate. I don't doubt he used some sort of performance enhancing drug. You can easily tell by just using your eyes and seeing his growth in the last 10 years. It obviously gavce him an eddge, but it didn't make him a great baseball player. If any of us went and shot up roids, HGH, and a chaser of creatine and andro everyday for a year, we wouldn't be able to hit a fastball 500 feet. Everyone also tends to forget that many other ballplayers have and still are using similar drugs.....EVEN PITCHERS. That being said , I congratulate the guy for his accomplishment. I wouldn't put him in the same category as Aaron, or even Ruth. Ruth , AAron and now Bonds, all had circumstances that made their accomplishments different, according to the era they played in.

The Yankee Circle Jerk outrage over Barry Bonds is utterly puke-inducing! They cheered for Sheffield* and they still cheer for Giambi*...they are whatever the word is for BEYOND hypocritical.

You dont even have to get into the Grimsley, Clemens, Pettite stuff (though none of that surprises me either) but Jose C's allegations have been proven to have legs! But this instance is just another example of why the Circle Jerk are among the worst people on the planet. It's a shame too, because there are TENS of non-frontrunning, knowledgable, passionate Yankee fans that truly know/love the game...and the rotten 4 million that spoil it for them.

...and some of you wonder why I spend so much of my time KILLING these people?

Barry Bonds* is a piece of **** who thinks he is all that and only was all that for a few years because of his steroid use. I'll give props to him that now that he is off the juice and at 43 still hitting home runs, but without steriods he doesn't sniff 70+ Homeruns in a season, nor does he sniff Hank Aaron's record.

Barry Balco, always and forever.

Barry Bonds* is a piece of **** who thinks he is all that and only was all that for a few years because of his steroid use. I'll give props to him that now that he is off the juice and at 43 still hitting home runs, but without steriods he doesn't sniff 70+ Homeruns in a season, nor does he sniff Hank Aaron's record.

Barry Balco, always and forever.

You make great arguments 124, but they are off.

Most people believe Bonds started roiding in 2000 after a bad year when he hit only hit 34 HRs and .262 after an injury plagued season.

If like McGwire he went 39 to 59, 58, 70 and 65 and Sosa who went 36 to 66, 63, 50 and 64, I could see your point.

However, Barry had 9 straight seasons (10 of 11 overall) of 30+ before hitting 73 and three staright 40+ after his 73.

As I said before, Barry was great before roids and he was a power hitter also. He is not Brady Anderson going from a 20ish a year HR hitter to a cut 50+ one year and then back. Barry has consistently hit bombs. Looking at the ESPN recap of his monumental bombs, he was sill the svelte Barry up until the 500 range.

I am not proclaiming his innocence, but he did not need roids and it did not affect his game as much as people hope or believe.

It's not like players didn't cheat in Hank Aaron's era either. Who's to say Hammerin' Hank wasn't all hopped up on amphetamines like most everyone else back then?

755(6) is a fantastic achievment. I am not saying Bonds should be celebrated, but he shouldn't be universally despised because he took steroids. He should be universally despised because he is a gigantic douche-bag.

You make great arguments 124, but they are off.

Most people believe Bonds started roiding in 2000 after a bad year when he hit only hit 34 HRs and .262 after an injury plagued season.

If like McGwire he went 39 to 59, 58, 70 and 65 and Sosa who went 36 to 66, 63, 50 and 64, I could see your point.

However, Barry had 9 straight seasons (10 of 11 overall) of 30+ before hitting 73 and three staright 40+ after his 73.

As I said before, Barry was great before roids and he was a power hitter also. He is not Brady Anderson going from a 20ish a year HR hitter to a cut 50+ one year and then back. Barry has consistently hit bombs. Looking at the ESPN recap of his monumental bombs, he was sill the svelte Barry up until the 500 range.

I am not proclaiming his innocence, but he did not need roids and it did not affect his game as much as people hope or believe.

then he shouldn't have taken them and there wouldn't have been a problem at all. Without roids he might still not be playing.

Archived