Thanks for nothing Revis

ECURB

Unless he wants to be able to actually hit the open market not re-negotiate early and make much much more. He wants his big pay day to come sooner not a year later then it has to.

If he is a good enough player to warrant a big payday, he will get it in year 4 or 5.... otherwise he wont last till year 6 of his deal anyways...

Essentially he could have 6 year SB money with a 5 year deal here... but he is being to stubborn...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cotchery

They reward good young players... not grumpy old men who just got a new contract 1 year prior

That new contract one year prior was a restructuring cut that kendall took on the chin for the team with the good faith assurance that it would be revisited.

And ask Larry Johnson about being rewarded early.

People still dont seem to understand so let me break this down...

The JETS will negotiate a deal for a good young player heading into the last year of their deal... (see Cotchery)

So... why is Revis holding out?? It makes no sense... here is why...

If he got a 5 year deal... he would play 5 seasons here and leave for a big deal..

If he got a 6 year deal... he could play 5 seasons and if he did well renegotiate for a big contract... (chances are if he didnt play well he would be released by this point anyways)

So my point is... either way he is looking at a big pay day after the 5th year...

No, the likely thing would be to get an extension in year 4 of a five year deal and in year 5 of a six year deal, ala Larry Johnson. The jets would not care vary much about the 6 year deal if they were not going to wait until the end to pay him. And what about injuries, how dumb would he and his agent look if he got hurt bad in the last year of his contract?

No, the likely thing would be to get an extension in year 4 of a five year deal and in year 5 of a six year deal, ala Larry Johnson. The jets would not care vary much about the 6 year deal if they were not going to wait until the end to pay him. And what about injuries, how dumb would he and his agent look if he got hurt bad in the last year of his contract?

He should just sign the deal... bitch and complain later when your a proven player...

He should just sign the deal... bitch and complain later when your a proven player...

That is dumb. What first rounder is worth the money they are getting before even playing a down? No one.

That is dumb. What first rounder is worth the money they are getting before even playing a down? No one.

He will get money regarless...

My point is that he is coming off as ****y by already banking on being a able to make big FA money and therefore wanting only a 5 year deal...

Wouldnt he also regret it if he doesnt turn out to be more than a backup and the Jets let him walk after year 5 and he could have had another year if he signed for 6?

right now I could care less about Revis and I don't care if he sits out the whole year-to me he's another Santana Moss and I hate me-first players as Jets. Just think of him as another Santana who got injured his rookie season and was worthless anyway. I'm confident in what and who we have in camp right now.Color me crazy but it's just the way I feel now-regardless of what we had to give up to get him-we should have taken Leon Hall..screw Revis, screw Neil Schwantz, and especially SCREW Pete Kendall whose fingerprints are all over this IMO

He will get money regarless...

My point is that he is coming off as ****y by already banking on being a able to make big FA money and therefore wanting only a 5 year deal...

Wouldnt he also regret it if he doesnt turn out to be more than a backup and the Jets let him walk after year 5 and he could have had another year if he signed for 6?

And what are the Jets coming off as?

Wanting to hold him to a 6 year contract when Jets' players drafted last year and players drafted ahead of him this year are getting 5 year contracts?

Cheap? It is one thing when the Patriots do it because they have a bit of recent success built up. The Jets?

So he is supposed to sign a longer deal and count on the Jets to renegotiate? Like Kendall? Then after a few years and pro-bowls when he holds out you'll be bitching that he's a "me first" guy? The Jets will say they won't renegotiate because they have "a policy." Or they all be fired and a different FO will be in charge and not honor any handshake deals. He's not on the team yet and he doesn't owe them anything. He'll be risking his career every day and if he folds "for the team" (which earns a ton more than he ever will) he is a complete and utter moron.

Nobody is a sure thing in the draft... anyone can be a bust... you gotta prove yourself before you get the attitude he has about things...

Where in the post of mine did I indicate that Revis was sure thing. What I said was that right now he is looking to get paid for his potential. His second contract is where what he has done will affect what he makes. This is how things work and the bottom line is if the Jets hadnt decided to make jerks out of themselves by refusing to follow the inevitable trend toward 5yr or 6yr voidable contracts for mid 1st rounders then we wouldnt be having this conversation and you wouldnt be freaking out.

That new contract one year prior was a restructuring cut that kendall took on the chin for the team with the good faith assurance that it would be revisited.

And ask Larry Johnson about being rewarded early.

Cut?

The guy was paid 5.2 mkillion dollars last season. He isn't worth anywhere near that.

This is a greedy man

Cut?

The guy was paid 5.2 mkillion dollars last season. He isn't worth anywhere near that.

This is a greedy man

Exactly... I dont see what the JETS have done wrong here... they gave Kendall a huge bonus in what should have been his last or near his last years...

I just want the guy in camp... and a lot of you guys that are defending him for trying to get the best deal also bashed Kendall for doing the same thing...

I think all the fans here want him in camp, we're with ya dude! It is just that people objectively see that Revis is getting screwed and it is the jets doing that he is holding out.

As for Kendall, I thought the jets were wrong on that one two, but I can see the people who say he already has a deal in place. Thing is, a lot of people put those situations together and (rightfully in my opinion) if Revis doesn't hold out now for what he wants he will never get it and it will just be a holdout in year 4-6.

Cut?

This is a greedy man

"Both Kendall, who would welcome being released if he doesn't receive a new deal, and Pittsburgh Steelers guard Alan Faneca have been vocal in their displeasure with their contracts after seeing the likes of Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach and Kris Dielman average at least $6.5 million annually on their new contracts.

"I'm not even looking to get into that range," said Kendall, who will be 34 this season. "I just want to get back to what I agreed to in 2004 when I signed with the Jets. That was $3 million per season."

Furthermore, Kendall said he felt he has been deceived by the Jets after adjusting his salary downward before the past two seasons, both times with three years remaining on his contract. With the second restructuring, Kendall's contract was extended through 2009. The Jets have told him that they will not give him the raise because he has three years remaining."

Now, the way I remember it, in 2005 he was asked to restructure down, at a time when The rest of the oline was getting cut. Kendall had to know his value to the team so he could have been a dick and not restructured. Also, that year he was asked to play out of position. Something that could have really hurt his free market value as he was going to naturally have a lackluster season in his twilight years. After doing this the jets asked him to take a cut yet again. He did and in 2006 he played well, only to be told that the jets don't restructure existing contracts.

Now, if i took it on the chin all those times, i would have quit my job on the spot, but in the nfl with contracts you can't do that, so he did what he felt was the next best thing.

god not another kendall thread!!!!!! ugh

"Both Kendall, who would welcome being released if he doesn't receive a new deal, and Pittsburgh Steelers guard Alan Faneca have been vocal in their displeasure with their contracts after seeing the likes of Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach and Kris Dielman average at least $6.5 million annually on their new contracts.

"I'm not even looking to get into that range," said Kendall, who will be 34 this season. "I just want to get back to what I agreed to in 2004 when I signed with the Jets. That was $3 million per season."

Furthermore, Kendall said he felt he has been deceived by the Jets after adjusting his salary downward before the past two seasons, both times with three years remaining on his contract. With the second restructuring, Kendall's contract was extended through 2009. The Jets have told him that they will not give him the raise because he has three years remaining."

Now, the way I remember it, in 2005 he was asked to restructure down, at a time when The rest of the oline was getting cut. Kendall had to know his value to the team so he could have been a dick and not restructured. Also, that year he was asked to play out of position. Something that could have really hurt his free market value as he was going to naturally have a lackluster season in his twilight years. After doing this the jets asked him to take a cut yet again. He did and in 2006 he played well, only to be told that the jets don't restructure existing contracts.

Now, if i took it on the chin all those times, i would have quit my job on the spot, but in the nfl with contracts you can't do that, so he did what he felt was the next best thing.

god not another kendall thread!!!!!! ugh

Jets fine rookie for part in Miller assault case

Friday, June 01, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets rookie wide receiver Chansi Stuckey, a seventh-round pick out of Clemson, was one of two men reportedly with cornerback/kick returner Justin Miller the night he was charged with third-degree misdemeanor assault for allegedly striking a woman at a Manhattan night spot in the early morning of May 20, a team official told The Star-Ledger yesterday.

The official requested anonymity because such matters are handled internally.

Stuckey, who played with Miller at Clemson, has been fined an undisclosed amount, the official said. The team, however, is awaiting the outcome of police and NFL investigations before taking disciplinary action, the official said. Miller is expected to be fined as well.

The league isn't expected to take any action against Miller because he's a first-time offender, the official said. Under terms of the league's conduct policy, a first-time offense generally doesn't result in discipline.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said yesterday that he and GM Mike Tannenbaum met with Miller and expressed their displeasure. Mangini said he also spoke to commissioner Roger Goodell. There is no meeting scheduled with Miller and the commissioner.

"Character is extremely important to us and personal conduct is extremely important to us," Mangini said yesterday before the start of an organized team activity session that was open to the media at the Jets' Hofstra University training complex. "I've expressed that to the team and Justin. He understands exactly how I feel. ... There's a legal process in place, we'll let that process go full course (before disciplining Miller)."

Yesterday, Miller, a Pro Bowl kick returner last season, again apologized for his actions but said he couldn't get into any details of the incident because it's a legal matter.

Miller, 23, has had brushes with the law before. In 2005, a week before the Jets drafted him in the second round, he was arrested for disorderly conduct for cursing and failing to obey police officers during a house party he was hosting. In 2002, he pleaded guilty to a drunk-driving charge.

The Jets will hold their 2008 training camp at Hofstra, not their new facility in Florham Park, according to a high-ranking team official. The official requested anonymity because the plans haven't been finalized.

Initially, it was thought the Jets' new home would be ready in time for the 2008 training camp. Several of the team's offices, however, may be ready by the summer of 2008. The tentative plan is to have some support staff move to New Jersey at that time while the team remains on Long Island.

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, whose weight dipped to under 290 pounds last season, is back up to roughly 305 pounds. The club wants to bulk up the 6-6 Ferguson through a rigorous off-season program. Ferguson was listed at 312 pounds last season.

Veteran LG Pete Kendall continues to be a no-show at the team's off-season program because he wants a new contract.

Though an argument could be made that Kendall is underpaid ($1.7 million base salary in 2007), he's only in the second year of a four-year, $11.3-million deal that paid him $5.2 million in bonuses and salary last season.

QB Chad Pennington, who wants to cut down on the career-high 16 interceptions he threw last season, is enjoying his first rehab-free off-season in three years after back-to-back rotator cuff surgery.

"It's fun," he said. "It's exciting for me to be a part of the team and to be able to come out here and work with my teammates ... focus on myself as a whole athlete and be able to get better as a quarterback."

CB David Barrett ($3.6 million cap number in 2007) and WR Justin McCareins ($2.9 million) appear to be safe, although each may be asked to rework their contracts. Barrett, who was slowed by a sports hernia last season that required off-season surgery, worked with the first-team yesterday over rookie first-round pick Darrelle Revis.

FB Darian Barnes, a Toms River native, also worked with the first team. C Nick Mangold didn't practice for an undisclosed reason.

It was a 4 year 11.3 million dollar deal.

He was paid 5.2 million up front, now he wants another deal this year.

Poor Pete

I think your numbers may be a little off. From what I read he made a little over $1.3M last year with a pro-rated bonus of $650K. On a four year deal that should put him at under $4M for the season. I find it hard to believe that he earned well over $1M in other bonuses. Either of us could be wrong. The press is notoriously unreliable with contract terms.

What Kendall earned and what he's worth are irrelevant to the Revis discussion. What is relevant is whether the Jets promised an upward restructure under favorable circumstances and then reneged. Even if the Jets version is correct they have stated arbitrary rules in place regarding restructuring which make it extremely favorable to have less years on your deal when negotiating with them. Plus the fact that about 25 other 1st round picks signed 5 year deals.

I am going to rip revis a new one until he signs and proves he was worth this holdout...

If he is holding out and doesnt turn out to be worth his traded up for pick then he will be one of the few JETS that I dont like much...

If you want to "not like someone very much", why don't you start with the front office, for trading the farm for one player, then refusing to give that player a fair market contract.

It's amazing that some people see Revis as the villain. I guess I'm not surprised ecurb is one of them.

In fairness to Revis, an NFL career could end on the next snap. he should get as much money as he can.

But the longer this goes on, the more it has to do with his agent's ego,and his uncle showing everyone how smart they are and bull**** like that than what's best for his career. If he is as good as advertised, years 5, 6 and beyond will take care of themselves. Make a freaking deal already and be done with it.

Revis cannot get this year back. And big picture-an All Pro CB in NY is printing money on Madison Avenue. Yeah, go back in the draft, and go to Jacksonville or Carolina or some other nether region that deosn't have 1/10th of America's population within an hour's drive ; see how that works. Lose a full eyar of salary,a nd get bupkis in acilalry ad money. A guy who doesn't play doesn't see any of that. No Reebok, no Nike, no cars. I get the sense that Schwartz and Gilbert are teling this kid he's getting screwed. And guess what-it is a business. But he'll be costing hismelf more cash in the long term if this doesn't get done and soon.

Once again, an agent is leading a slotted salary draft picka round by the nose with total bull****. I knew from what I'd heard 2nd hand about Chris Tate that Pitt isn a crappy school. Now it's confirmed.

From what I've read i seems like the Jets are the ones unwilling to compromise.

What's the point of negotiating a contract if the FO is unwilling to negotiate?

He's not asking for anything unreasonable, only a contract that is within the range that the market has set. It seems fairly rational to me to want a similar contract to what 95% of those around you got. I believe at least the 3 players slotted before and after him got 5 year deals so why shouldn't he expect the same?

Ecurb, why are you ignoring the fact that the Jets are trying to give him a contract that is weaker than what the rest of his peers are signing? Why are the Jets the only team trying to pass a lesser contract on their 1st round rookie? Should he sign a bad contract just because its the Jets?

If you want to "not like someone very much", why don't you start with the front office, for trading the farm for one player, then refusing to give that player a fair market contract.

It's amazing that some people see Revis as the villain. I guess I'm not surprised ecurb is one of them.

I dont see him as a villain... I hope he gets in camp and proves he was worth the pick... I will be riding his wagon for years to come... but Im worried he is ruining it... and wont live up to the hype.. and is a selfish player...

I dont see him as a villain... I hope he gets in camp and proves he was worth the pick... I will be riding his wagon for years to come... but Im worried he is ruining it... and wont live up to the hype.. and is a selfish player...

The front office is ruining it. Revis just wants a fair market contract. The Jets are the ones that traded up to get him. Revis is under no obligation to the Jets to sign a contract in which he gets ****ed over. He has all the cards. Until the front office realizes this, the situation is going to drag out.

The front office is ruining it. Revis just wants a fair market contract. The Jets are the ones that traded up to get him. Revis is under no obligation to the Jets to sign a contract in which he gets ****ed over. He has all the cards. Until the front office realizes this, the situation is going to drag out.

I guess so.... this whole situation just pisses me off... and I guess if I were a 22 year old kid being offered a 6 year deal to play for the JETS I would take it... but i can see why he doesnt... though i think he should...

Archived