So Much For YouTube...

once these greedy music industry types take up a fight you can forget about it-they did the same thing with sheet music online and then what they did to Napster-they come off as "it's unfair to the artists" when in reality it's all about how much the record companies can make

Publishers Join Case Against YouTube

August 6, 2007 07:08 PM EST |

NEW YORK

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FGxn6lYtJ3M&mode=related&search=

I invented a drink, tequila and lemonade, I call it the golden shower. I had 3 golden showers and 2 beers. Now i'm gonna spam up JI with all my fake usernames.

:Typotux:

HAHAHA, jetmo, glad you like the avatar i made. I need to make a collection of them for the board.

These idiots fail to see that by having content on sites like youtube only helps the legal sales of mp3s and CDs.

The whole system they have for how they view business and making money is just antiquated and pathetic. I was listening to Bam Margara the other day on his show on Faction on sirius, and he was talking about some club out where he lives where a record exec went up to the owner of the club and demanded payment for a song from his label that was played by the dj. He said that record execs were now sending out lawyers to collect fees for this type of thing.

This is just like when video first came out, instead of embracing it, the studios fought and fought but eventually lost out (due a lot to the adult industry's quick and eager acceptance) and today video/dvd sales make up the vast majority of revenue. They just have no idea how to wrap their heads around changing markets and models for doing business. Ask kodak or poloroid or wang or even ibm about fighting change instead of leading it.

F*ck the music industry!! They make millions off concerts, mtv videos etc. I never pay for music!!!

Well, if you mean you only listen to legal free delivery of music like radio, then fine, but if you mean you just steal it then you are part of the problem with why the music industry wants to keep everything locked down.

As a small time independent creator of content, I can see that the big guys going after the itunes and youtubes of the world is only bad for everyone. It is bad for the artists who want their content available all the ways that consumers want it, it is bad for the major labels because their content is pirated, and it is really bad for the indi artists/content creators because if youtube and itunes and the like have to shut down, they indies lose an extremely valuable way to reach people.

I assume by your pic that you are not a poor 15 year old who can't buy a cd, so why act like one and just steal it? That attitude is the reason why everyone else has to deal with draconian drm restrictions.

What do you do for a living by the way?

Well, if you mean you only listen to legal free delivery of music like radio, then fine, but if you mean you just steal it then you are part of the problem with why the music industry wants to keep everything locked down.

As a small time independent creator of content, I can see that the big guys going after the itunes and youtubes of the world is only bad for everyone. It is bad for the artists who want their content available all the ways that consumers want it, it is bad for the major labels because their content is pirated, and it is really bad for the indi artists/content creators because if youtube and itunes and the like have to shut down, they indies lose an extremely valuable way to reach people.

I assume by your pic that you are not a poor 15 year old who can't buy a cd, so why act like one and just steal it? That attitude is the reason why everyone else has to deal with draconian drm restrictions.

What do you do for a living by the way?

I work for at&t. in tech support for bes admins.

The music industry created this problem by charging obsene amounts for a cd. Then if the crappy made CD they sell you scratches do they exchange it for you? No, they don't. There is no justification in charging $15-$17 for a flimsy ass cd with one good song on it. This isn't about musicians this lawsuit is about the music industries bottom line. Just as the creation of CD's was never about giving the consumer a better listening device. It was about getting consumers to go out and spend money on a more flimsy product.

The music industry created this problem by charging obsene amounts for a cd. Then if the crappy made CD they sell you scratches do they exchange it for you? No, they don't. There is no justification in charging $15-$17 for a flimsy ass cd. This isn't about musicians this lawsuit is about the music industries bottom line. Just as the creation of CD's was never about giving the consumer a better listening device. It was about getting consumers to go out and spend money on a more flimsy product.

good post. 17 + for a friggin cd. thats stealing in its finest form. I have no problem with anyone who downloads music for free

The music industry created this problem by charging obsene amounts for a cd. Then if the crappy made CD they sell you scratches do they exchange it for you? No, they don't. There is no justification in charging $15-$17 for a flimsy ass cd with one good song on it. This isn't about musicians this lawsuit is about the music industries bottom line. Just as the creation of CD's was never about giving the consumer a better listening device. It was about getting consumers to go out and spend money on a more flimsy product.

Its all Metallica's fault. I remember when they were actually cool. Sadly that was 20 years ago.

They encrypt some of the CD'S now, so you can't rip them. I wonder if that's why the prices are going through the roof. I burned Velvet revolver's first CD even though it was encrypted, silly music industry.

If they just charged $9.99 for a CD sales would sky rocket and illegal downloads would plummet...

I agree, if 9.99 was the high end for a cd I would prolly buy more cd's. But since there are only a few cd's that I like more than one song on $17 is plain rediculous. Then like BP said you can't make a back up copy AND they won't exchange it when it scratches. It's a f'n joke.

good post. 17 + for a friggin cd. thats stealing in its finest form. I have no problem with anyone who downloads music for free

Gas is a complete ripoff at over 3 bucks a gallon, it really should be 1.60, so does that mean it is ok to steal it from the pumps at night when the station is closed, or syphoning it out of someones car? I mean, the oil companies are making record profits, there should be no issue with stealing it because they make tons of money.

Gas is a complete ripoff at over 3 bucks a gallon, it really should be 1.60, so does that mean it is ok to steal it from the pumps at night when the station is closed, or syphoning it out of someones car? I mean, the oil companies are making record profits, there should be no issue with stealing it because they make tons of money.

No but if it gets so high I will avoid purchasing it and will use alternative means to drive.

Well, i think everyone will agree that cd's are a vast improvement over cassettes and only some really high brow audiophile would argue that records are better.

Granted, the music labels make money, but what a lot of people do not realize is that for every madonna, there are thousands of bands that are signed and make no money. It is like the film industry, the vast majority of films lose money. The same with venture capital, most deals lose money. It is the relatively few successful ones that make them there money.

Producing/marketing/releasing a major record is not cheap. Just like movies and video games, yeah it costs them less then one dollar to replicate a cd or dvd disc, but the first one can cost 10's or 100's of millions to make. It is the same thing with pharma drugs. Most artists don't even make much on the record sales, they make their money on touring.

I do think that the pricing structure needs to change, and that the industry needs to embrace alternative forms of content delivery, but the public needs to realize that stealing content or supporting the counterfeit industry is not acceptable either. Just because something is expensive and viewed as extremely overpriced does not make it any less of a crime to steal it, and downloading something on the internet illegally is no different then walking into a store and stealing that cd.

No but if it gets so high I will avoid purchasing it and will use alternative means to drive.

ok so then applying this to the issue of music being expensive, you would then be left to alternatives such as listening to the radio or enjoying alternative forms of entertainment like tv or reading. Just as stealing gas is not a valid alternative to the ripoff gas prices, stealing music online is not a valid alternative to ripoff cd prices.

It is a great market we live in, people can make and charge whatever they want for a product, and the consumer has the options on what to buy and not buy. But stealing is not one of those alternatives.

Well, i think everyone will agree that cd's are a vast improvement over cassettes and only some really high brow audiophile would argue that records are better.

Granted, the music labels make money, but what a lot of people do not realize is that for every madonna, there are thousands of bands that are signed and make no money. It is like the film industry, the vast majority of films lose money. The same with venture capital, most deals lose money. It is the relatively few successful ones that make them there money.

Producing/marketing/releasing a major record is not cheap. Just like movies and video games, yeah it costs them less then one dollar to replicate a cd or dvd disc, but the first one can cost 10's or 100's of millions to make. It is the same thing with pharma drugs. Most artists don't even make much on the record sales, they make their money on touring.

I do think that the pricing structure needs to change, and that the industry needs to embrace alternative forms of content delivery, but the public needs to realize that stealing content or supporting the counterfeit industry is not acceptable either. Just because something is expensive and viewed as extremely overpriced does not make it any less of a crime to steal it, and downloading something on the internet illegally is no different then walking into a store and stealing that cd.

I don't know what the answer is - but the music industries previous reactions have only caused me personally to spend less on music. And CD's are slightly better than tapes. they are also less to produce - but somehow cost more when they came out and still do up until today. Again I'm sitting back a very happy man watching the music industry get its due.

Great points.

When Napster was in its heyday I would grab tracks that I only had on cassette. Mostly Aussie music that you couldn't buy on CD here in the States.

I was getting music in digital form for albums I already owned but according to the music execs I was some kind of freeloader.

ok so then applying this to the issue of music being expensive, you would then be left to alternatives such as listening to the radio or enjoying alternative forms of entertainment like tv or reading. Just as stealing gas is not a valid alternative to the ripoff gas prices, stealing music online is not a valid alternative to ripoff cd prices.

It is a great market we live in, people can make and charge whatever they want for a product, and the consumer has the options on what to buy and not buy. But stealing is not one of those alternatives.

Well what if I already bought the CD and it broke because it is a piece of s.h.i.t.?

Great points.

When Napster was in its heyday I would grab tracks that I only had on cassette. Mostly Aussie music that you couldn't buy on CD here in the States.

I was getting music in digital form for albums I already owned but according to the music execs I was some kind of freeloader.

Sorry Gainzo if your tape or record is outdated or broken you are out of luck according to the record industry.

You mean you are on vacation?????

Yeah, until my emergency fund craps the bed anyway. I'm already down to ten bucks.

oh #### dude, sorry to hear that.

Nah, don't be. It was a glorified sweatshop. They didn't call them "middle management" they called them "counselors". What a f'n joke, counselor. More like corporate stooge. One of them was this twenty something perky jerky chic, when she walked her hair bounced like she was the Breck girl. I used to hear that song Venus in my head when she came by. She's got it! Yeah baby she's got it! Then there was the geek who was my counselor. Another twenty something scumsucker. I told the kid "Get away from me". I told him twice "Get away from me". I told him the third time "Get away from me, and STAY away from me". I guess he told the boss.

F them. It was like a friggin' cult there.

Sorry Gainzo if your tape or record is outdated or broken you are out of luck according to the record industry.

Exactly.

I don't recall the outcry from the music industry when the "dual cassette deck" was introduced many moons ago. I have 500 or 600 hundred cassettes and at least 25% of those are copies.

I don't know what the answer is - but the music industries previous reactions have only caused me personally to spend less on music. And CD's are slightly better than tapes. they are also less to produce - but somehow cost more when they came out and still do up until today. Again I'm sitting back a very happy man watching the music industry get its due.

I know, it is difficult to figure out a solution with all the ill will the industry has created and the ease of pirating, but they need to technically come up with a way to distribute content that will not be pirated, itunes has done the best so far. The public also really needs to be educated as to why they can't pirate content, and some examples need to be made so people can see the consequences.

The reason cd's are priced higher is actually because of piracy. In the days of tapes sound quality is much lower, this is not an opinion it is a technical fact. And every time a tape is dubbed the quality of the music is degraded greatly, so if you wanted to buy music that did not sound like mud, you had to really buy an original tape. With cd's, that changed, the quality of the cd is higher and there is much less generational loss from copy to copy if done properly. This means lost revenue, so the labels build that into the cost of the cds. Now, with the high def media, the movie industry is flipping out. On one hand it is a new way to package and sell media, but on the other hand, they are now releasing media that is AS HIGH QUALITY as their original masters. So if bootlegged correctly, counterfeiters can sell media that is pretty much original master quality. This is why all the new high def formats use hdmi digital connections, not because they technically have to to pass the signal, but because an analog component out could be hooked up to record the movie. The hdmi connections use HDCP(high-Bandwith Digital Content Protection) which protects the media in its highest rez form from being recorded.