Randy Johnson

Greg Maddux

Pedro Martinez

Roy Oswalt

Johan Santana

Curt Schilling

John Smoltz

names are in alphabetical order

in terms of when they were at their best (their peak) how do youi rank the above starting pitchers?

i don't want to see any lists missing names either

in terms of when they were at their best, who was the best and what order

i'll go with

roger clemens

pedro martinez

randy johnson

greg maddux

johan santana (might not be at his best yet, lets hope)

kevin brown

john smoltz

curt schilling

tom glavine

roy oswalt

roy halladay

Randy Johnson

roger clemens

Kevin Brown

pedro martinez

greg maddux

John Smoltz

johan santana

curt schilling

tom glavine

roy oswalt

roy halladay

I just think randy was filthy as fawk when he was at his prime, bt Roger was a close second. Pretty much a toss up between those two. My top 2 of all time are still Koufax and Gibson.

in terms of when they were at their best, who was the best and what order

i'll go with

roger clemens

pedro martinez

randy johnson

greg maddux

johan santana (might not be at his best yet, lets hope)

kevin brown

john smoltz

curt schilling

tom glavine

roy oswalt

roy halladay

Based just on memory and without a lot of research I would think Pedro at his best 97, 99 and 2000 tops any timeframe for Clemens.

Based just on memory and without a lot of research I would think Pedro at his best 97, 99 and 2000 tops any timeframe for Clemens.

Didn't Clemens win the Cy Young in '97?

This at their peak talk brings up another concern: is it for one game/playoff series or a season? A guy like Pedro in particular was nasty, but IIRC correctly often would get hurt at some point during a season while some of the others are just horses.

Didn't Clemens win the Cy Young in '97?

This at their peak talk brings up another concern: is it for one game/playoff series or a season? A guy like Pedro in particular was nasty, but IIRC correctly often would get hurt at some point during a season while some of the others are just horses.

Yeah Clemens won the AL CY in 97----Petey was in the NL where he won that leagues CY.

Pedro at his best is number one. This really isnt debateable.

well why don't you factor in the fact he's fragile and even at his best never lead the league in innings

imagine how his ERA and Whips would go up if he had to pitch 250+ innings like Roger/Randy/Maddux etc.

Kevin Brown

Roger Clemens

Tom Glavine

Roy Halladay

Randy Johnson

Greg Maddux

Pedro Martinez

Roy Oswalt

Johan Santana

Curt Schilling

John Smoltz

1. Pedro - The key words: "when they were at their best (their peak)" - No one could touch him.

1.5 Johan - Has been great in his brief career. I give Pedro the nod because Pedro's peak years are slightly better as he has a lower ERA and more Ks. Plus, he did it in Boston (i.e. Pavano, Renteria and apparently Gagne).

2abc. Greg Maddux (a); Randy Johnson (B); Roger Clemens © - All three had stretches were they probably could claim to be the best in the game. However, none dominated like Pedro.

3. Tom Glavine - A very good pitcher in his own right, but not as good as anyone above.

4. John Smoltz - Best closer on this list, but he was clearly the third best starter most years in Atlanta.

5. Schilling - Good pitcher and noses out Brown based on post season performance.

6. Brown - Good pitcher.

7. Halladay - Has potential to move up, but injuries and Toronto have held him back. Could easily hit 3 or 4 on my list.

8. Oswalt - Good pitcher, but lacks the power of anyone above and is not as good a finesse pitcher like Maddux.

well why don't you factor in the fact he's fragile and even at his best never lead the league in innings

imagine how his ERA and Whips would go up if he had to pitch 250+ innings like Roger/Randy/Maddux etc.

But that wasn't the question. The question was at their best who would you rank#1.

Pedro in his peak prime was better than the rest of that list.

Maddox pitched 250 innings (barely) 4 times and not in ages. Go look at Petey's WHIP and Won- Lost record from 97 through 03. Everytime he took the hill the game was almost assured a win. Pedro wasn't a innings eater.....Steve Traschel is.;)

Don't change the question to homer up your pick.

1. Pedro - The key words: "when they were at their best (their peak)" - No one could touch him.

1.5 Johan - Has been great in his brief career. I give Pedro the nod because Pedro's peak years are slightly better as he has a lower ERA and more Ks. Plus, he did it in Boston (i.e. Pavano, Renteria and apparently Gagne).

2abc. Greg Maddux (a); Randy Johnson (B); Roger Clemens © - All three had stretches were they probably could claim to be the best in the game. However, none dominated like Pedro.

3. Tom Glavine - A very good pitcher in his own right, but not as good as anyone above.

4. John Smoltz - Best closer on this list, but he was clearly the third best starter most years in Atlanta.

5. Schilling - Good pitcher and noses out Brown based on post season performance.

6. Brown - Good pitcher.

7. Halladay - Has potential to move up, but injuries and Toronto have held him back. Could easily hit 3 or 4 on my list.

8. Oswalt - Good pitcher, but lacks the power of anyone above and is not as good a finesse pitcher like Maddux.

I'd have to agree with this list, given the set of rules and everything. Schilling might even be placed ahead of Smoltz if we're saying just as starters, but career whole you gotta give Smoltz the nod there. Schill in the postseason is about as good as it gets.

I saw Pedro pitch live once. In 99 or 00. When he was just masterful. Gave up like 2 hits in a complete game and k'd 15. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

But that wasn't the question. The question was at their best who would you rank#1.

Pedro in his peak prime was better than the rest of that list.

Maddox pitched 250 innings (barely) 4 times and not in ages. Go look at Petey's WHIP and Won- Lost record from 97 through 03. Everytime he took the hill the game was almost assured a win. Pedro wasn't a innings eater.....Steve Traschel is.;)

Don't change the question to homer up your pick.

randy johnson threw 271 innings at the turn of the century as an old man

pedro maxed out at 241 at a youngster

pedro couldn't handle the same workload that old guys like RJ could, he set a pitch count for 110 for himself

randy johnson threw 271 innings at the turn of the century as an old man

pedro maxed out at 241 at a youngster

pedro couldn't handle the same workload that old guys like RJ could, he set a pitch count for 110 for himself

You are contradicting your own guidelines.

At his peak, Pedro was dominant like none other. In 1999/2000, he went 41-10, 597Ks in 530 IPs with a sub-2.00 ERA in a LG where the average ERA was slightly over 5.00.

GS is right. From 1997-2003, which also covers his injury, Pedro had an under 3.00 ERA in the hitting AL league with two sub-2.00 ERA and a 2.07. Randy at the same age had trouble having a sub-3.00 ERA in the AL. Randy was only a good AL pitcher at the same age. He did not dominate until he went to the NL.

Pedro might not eat innings like Randy or have the top end Ks Randy did, but there is no pitcher I would want at their respective peaks then Pedro to win a game.

Archived