Player Profile: LB Jerry Mackey

Kentucky Jet

A look at Jets' camp

Thursday, August 09, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

PLAYER PROFILE

JERRY MACKEY

Yes, rookie free-agent inside linebacker Jerry Mackey is related to Hall of Fame tight end John Mackey. He is his great nephew.

Unfortunately, Jerry Mackey couldn't share with his great uncle the joy he experienced when the Jets signed him last Saturday because the former Baltimore Colts great has dementia. John Mackey was a tough, physical player who took many shots to the head during his brilliant career.

"I can't talk to him like that, but if I could, I'm sure he'd be happy for me," Jerry Mackey said.

Mackey, 6-1 and 233 pounds, was a high school teammate of Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson at Freeport High on Long Island. The pair, who were team captains, played side-by-side on the offensive line. Mackey a guard and Ferguson, of course, a tackle.

In four years at Syracuse, Mackey finished with 202 career tackles, and kept tabs on Ferguson, who starred at Virginia.

They remained friends and were together when the Jets called Mackey a week and a half ago and told him to stay in shape because they might sign him. In fact, the two have been friends since seventh grade.

Mackey's father and Ferguson's dad showed up at practice last Saturday to support their sons together.

the former Baltimore Colts great has dementia.

Yeah, that is a real shame. I think I was just telling you about this other day, Kentucky. There was a picture in the magazine that showed him and his wife at an autograph show, and she was helping him sign his name. Very sad.

He was an awesome football player.

Yeah, that is a real shame. I think I was just telling you about this other day, Kentucky. There was a picture in the magazine that showed him and his wife at an autograph show, and she was helping him sign his name. Very sad.

Yes JC, I do remember you telling me that. He was a great player and I fely bad when you told me that. What is your impression of JERRY MACKEY at LB? Have you seen enough to form an opinion?

I agree, while I hated the colts, there's not much to dislike about the way mackay played the game

Archived