Former Jet speaks about Eric Mangini- Jetsblog

Kentucky Jet

While I dig Mangini's attitude and the fact he holds his players accountable for their play,on every play. Not every player wants to actually EARN his money. A lot of them are just in it for the fame and the paycheck. Hopefully we got enough guys on the team that actually want to be here and want to play for a coach who wants you to be the best player you can be and above all else,Win football games.

i'm a huge mangini fan & as long as he 100% clear & correct of what their job description is & conveys it to them 1st then fair enough.

as long as we're winning he can get away with it but ya gotta worry how bad things will get if we don't end up with many w's this year

i'm a huge mangini fan & as long as he 100% clear & correct of what their job description is & conveys it to them 1st then fair enough.

as long as we're winning he can get away with it but ya gotta worry how bad things will get if we don't end up with many w's this year

I disagree...A good coach gives you opportunities and expects you to capitalize and will be all over you if you dont. regardless of record, Mangini is a good, consistent coach.

While I dig Mangini's attitude and the fact he holds his players accountable for their play,on every play. Not every player wants to actually EARN his money. A lot of them are just in it for the fame and the paycheck. Hopefully we got enough guys on the team that actually want to be here and want to play for a coach who wants you to be the best player you can be and above all else,Win football games.

Again I go back to Greengal's insight on the way no one was even associating with Kendall on the sidelines-we've all worked with guys like that who sit there and watch while everybody else is busting their butts-and he's STILL getting paid. I'm glad he's being ostracized in camp by those who are working hard and buying into the system

Ball, if he doesn't get cut, isn't going to much like John Fox, either. Fox can read, and it's not like he's s soft touch. It's what you do for a living; Ball apparently thinks pro football is some kind of pageant or summer camp. If you aren't doing your job correctly, a good coach should ream you out, and Fox will. I'd expect he'll get cut. I don't understand the mindset of the Dave Balls sof the NFL. Your NFL career is very brief, and if you aren't going all out, it's time to get the resume together and move on with your life. On the other hand, he played for an imbecile in 2005 and apparently thinks that's ideal.

Ball, if he doesn't get cut, isn't going to much like John Fox, either. Fox can read, and it's not like he's s soft touch. It's what you do for a living; Ball apparently thinks pro football is some kind of pageant or summer camp. If you aren't doing your job correctly, a good coach should ream you out, and Fox will. I'd expect he'll get cut. I don't understand the mindset of the Dave Balls sof the NFL. Your NFL career is very brief, and if you aren't going all out, it's time to get the resume together and move on with your life. On the other hand, he played for an imbecile in 2005 and apparently thinks that's ideal.

Right on. Dave Ball, and players like him, can go F themselves.

Ball has played in 21 games and has 7 tackles. Thats it.

No doubt that those tackles came to him either. I don't recall ever seeing him pursue first and then tackle...

Dave Ball is pissed you are making fun of him. Check out his picture below and you will be reminded that he is a pussy!

492887.jpg

I agree. It's good that we got away from the summer camp coach, but in an age with free agency having a hard assed rah rah coach might make it difficult to recruit. Especially if they aren't winning. Everybody's got money and guys are either going go to win or someplace easy. Last thing you want to do is play for a losing hard ass.

I agree those comments seem lame, but I find it hard to believe Dave Ball is a primadonna.

I agree. It's good that we got away from the summer camp coach, but in an age with free agency having a hard assed rah rah coach might make it difficult to recruit. Especially if they aren't winning. Everybody's got money and guys are either going go to win or someplace easy. Last thing you want to do is play for a losing hard ass.

I agree those comments seem lame, but I find it hard to believe Dave Ball is a primadonna.

I think the Mangini 'no nonsense' attitude can have both positive and negative affects on recruiting FA's. For the player that wants to really improve his game and get better, he will want to play for such a coach as well as the player who wants a fair shot. For the guys who want to dog it in practice and just be there for the paycheck and the fame, such a coach is very unnatractive as well as for the veteran player thats been to the pro bowl a couple of times and feels he cant afford to play every practice like he does a game...

it all depends on the player you're tring to recruit.

Cimni's negative nelly strikes again... check out this in the comments:

I see Rich only copies what puts a bad slant on Mangini. Notice when he says "it made me way tougher mentally"

http://www.charlotte.com/sports_breaking/story/229374.html

Playing out of position, Ball also played little and was eventually plucked from San Diego's practice squad by the New York Jets. Coach Herm Edwards was running the 4-3, and Ball got into three games, made six tackles and thought he had found a home.

Then Edwards left for Kansas City. Eric Mangini took over, and brought the 3-4 with him.

"It was hard last year, extremely hard," Ball said. "I got through it; it made me way tougher mentally. Mangini is one of the toughest coaches I've ever had as far as getting on your (butt). He expects you to know everything; he expects you to be in the right place every time, and if you're not, he's going to kick your (butt).

I think the Mangini 'no nonsense' attitude can have both positive and negative affects on recruiting FA's. For the player that wants to really improve his game and get better, he will want to play for such a coach as well as the player who wants a fair shot. For the guys who want to dog it in practice and just be there for the paycheck and the fame, such a coach is very unnatractive as well as for the veteran player thats been to the pro bowl a couple of times and feels he cant afford to play every practice like he does a game...

it all depends on the player you're tring to recruit.

You don't have to be a hard ass to want to do your job without getting your balls busted. I guess you just described Tiki with the pro bowl vet that can't afford to play every practice like a game - would the Giants be better off with Tiki or Ruben Droughns?

You don't have to be a hard ass to want to do your job without getting your balls busted. I guess you just described Tiki with the pro bowl vet that can't afford to play every practice like a game - would the Giants be better off with Tiki or Ruben Droughns?

Read my whole post... "the NO NONSENSE mentality can have BOTH POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE affects..."

Cimni's negative nelly strikes again... check out this in the comments:

You blame a reporter? Are you serious? Dave Ball is a jag and a pussy.

I'm no Jets fan but Ball's comments sum up his "desire" to play pro football.

Trust me when I tell you guys that you are getting this out of context.I live in Charlotte and read the entire article in the Charlotte Observer.Ball was not bashing Mangini or the Jets at all.The entire article was about how Ball had been miscast in a 3-4 defense when his talents are in a 4-3 as a pass rusher.

He was happy to finally be in a system that he feels exploits his abilities to the fullest.The way the articles read I took it as a compliment to Mangini's style and that what he was happy about was getting to a team that didn't play the 3-4 defense.He wasn't knocking how tough Mangini was or how hard he was expected to work.

Ball is a high motor guy that ALWAYS gives 100% and has shown a knack for getting pressure on opposing QB's.He's a good guy.

Read my whole post... "the NO NONSENSE mentality can have BOTH POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE affects..."

Right, but I think a team should be trying to recruit the players that will play the best on Sunday, not the type that need to adapt to the coaches attitude. There are some very good players that might want to improve their game that will choose not to get their balls busted. I agree that his pay attention to ever detail is a welcome change from Camp Herm. Like going from Bob Lemon to Billy Martin, and back again, sometimes players respond to a hard ass and sometimes a player's coach.

I'm not surprised that Edgy found that quote. The "thank God I'm out of there" sounded like it would go with him playing out of position and not being a good fit. Dave Ball is not the type of guy that I would expect to pop off. I don't even remember him being quoted the entire time he is here.

Can we file this one under the "Who the #### is Dave Ball and when did he ever play for the jets" file?

Dave Ball "played" for the Jets in 2005 and 2006. He was such a beast that he had 7 tackles total in those two seasons.

Can we file this one under the "Who the #### is Dave Ball and when did he ever play for the jets" file? OR maybe the "Pussy scrub who feels like a douche for getting released" file. Thank you.

I'm happy that we don't have to. If the "glad to be gone" quote was taken out of context then any worries about Mangini alienating players is premature. Ball showed some flashes, (he was still JAG) but he certainly didn't seem to fit the 3-4.

You blame a reporter? Are you serious? Dave Ball is a jag and a pussy.

I'm no Jets fan but Ball's comments sum up his "desire" to play pro football.

No - Ball is def... a jag and wittle kittly cat, as you say.

My point is, Cimni has to find this guy who briefly, uh 'played' with Mangini, and dig up what he has to say about having been in multiple systems over three years, twist it a bit (to leave out the 'made me mentally stronger side'), all to try and keep up his "This Mangini hard-line is going to fail" campaign he's got going ever since his gravy train left for greener-bbqs.

Archived