Trick Plays

The Troll

Is it really necessary to be opening the bag of tricks during a preseason game? What's the point of blowing our load in meaningless games? I think it was well established by about game three of last season that you'd better watch out whenever Brad Smith steps on the field, because shenanigans are about to commence. The reverse was fine, as they did that last preseason, IIRC. But a fake punt? What is the point? If they had Smith throw a WR reverse pass, I was going to lose my ****ing mind.

The point is severalfold:

You establish in other teams' mind that you will do the unexepected.

-This makes the stay at home aand not over commit on any play. It keeps them honest

-You make them prepare for gadgetry during the week, taking away from preparation for your core formations

-You keep an opponent guessing

It establishes a mindset of your own team

-We WILL go for it.

-I better keep my hea din teh game, I CAN'T assume what we are doing next.

I know that these are partially cliches, but there are some truth to them.

It sets a tone. I am sure that the Jets did not show plays that feel are "winners" of their hand. See how teams react, as well as your own team, and set a tone.

Is it really necessary to be opening the bag of tricks during a preseason game? What's the point of blowing our load in meaningless games? I think it was well established by about game three of last season that you'd better watch out whenever Brad Smith steps on the field, because shenanigans are about to commence. The reverse was fine, as they did that last preseason, IIRC. But a fake punt? What is the point? If they had Smith throw a WR reverse pass, I was going to lose my ****ing mind.

Trick plays are not Above Top Secret. I doubt if we will see any trick plays this year that we did not see last year. Or if there really is a new one, you will see it more than once if they think it can be successful. The key is the timing. Practicing them in pre-season games gives no indication of when they will be used in regular season games.

I think Brad Smith was brought into the throw the ball, as you could see he was looking for an open man, but once he didn't see his #1 target get freed up he tucked it an ran, very much like a true scrambling college Quarterback.

Those were the fake trick plays designed to trick the opponents into thinking they were real trick plays when in reality the arsenal of trick plays were not actually showcased last night.

Hope this clears things up.

Those were the fake trick plays designed to trick the opponents into thinking they were real trick plays when in reality the arsenal of trick plays were not actually showcased last night.

hilarious :)..........how do you not get press passes with all yer stinkin insight?

I agree!

I think it sends the message that Schottie's barely scratched the surface of his play designing creativity, and the rest of the league had better watch out.

Plus, the players hate the preseason. Why not give them something fun to do? I'm sure they got a buzz out of every gadget play they ran. Mangini's a hard ass, but he also wants players who love the game, and wants to keep it fun for them.

Archived