University of Miami Hurricanes Thread

JetCane

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the point. YOu came on this thread for the first time after the game, not to discuss anything, but to congratulate your team.

I hadnt seen one unc football thread here all season. Why is that?

Being a nice guy, I started a unc thread to pick you guys up because your team wasnt doing very well.

Then, i post stuff this week about the game, but only GB replied.

Then, as soon as the game is over, you post to congratulate YOUR team.

Yiou said nothing to me about the game. it was just to gloat.

Believe me, I see right thru you.

I get the point. YOu came on this thread for the first time after the game, not to discuss anything, but to congratulate your team.

Wow, you now have the ability to magically know when someone has looked at a thread? That is very impressive.

I hadnt seen one unc football thread here all season. Why is that?

Because UNC football has not been a subject that has generated alot of excitement. Ask Beans or Southernjet how many times I have showed up on Sundays depressed about how UNC did the following day. I go to the media days, the meet and greets, etc...trying to find a way to get excited about it. Sorry I didn't make a thread.

Being a nice guy, I started a unc thread to pick you guys up because your team wasnt doing very well.

Well thank you so much. You will go down in history as the guy who started a thread.

Then, i post stuff this week about the game, but only GB replied.

Well you have my heartfelt apologies for that. Wait a minute, I posted in the other UNC thread you made, yet you didn't respond to me. I think I will take your approach and whine about that!!

Then, as soon as the game is over, you post to congratulate YOUR team.

Yeah, I posted 2 whole pics and said great job guys. Then I responded to your comment, then it all went downhill. Sorry I was glad my team won their 2nd game this year. Next time (if it happens) I won't get excited so you won't take offense.

Yiou said nothing to me about the game. it was just to gloat.

I am sorry, what did you want me to say to you about the game?

Believe me, I see right thru you.

Yeah, I can really tell. You've been spot on so far, Copernicus.

I am sorry, what did you want me to say to you about the game?

How about, "Wow, you guys put a scare in us at the end. I cant believe believe you came back from 27-0 and the game came down to an onside kick."

Or, "I at least give you guys credit for not quitting in the second half and making a game of it".

You see, if i was talking trash about unc all week, i could see you coming on here and being a d1ck. But I wasnt, and i have been feeding you guys info on butch since the day he was hired. I have been far from a jerk about unc football. In fact, i think i have been pretty supportive of you guys.

I didnt think it was too much to expect that one of you would show some class after the game, and discuss it like sports fans, instead of what you did.

My bad for expecting too much from some people.

I didnt think it was too much to expect that one of you would show some class after the game, and discuss it like sports fans, instead of what you did.

My bad for expecting too much from some people.

You're right. I should have never posted those 2 pics and then replied to what you said in my first response.

Mods, please remove my offensive pics..thanks.

We stink.

LBs who take bad angles, DBs who cant tackle, a QB who cant get the offense moving, OL who cant run block, questionable gameplans...between the Jets and the Canes...it's been like watching the same team twice each weekend.

:puke:

We stink.

LBs who take bad angles, DBs who cant tackle, a QB who cant get the offense moving, OL who cant run block, questionable gameplans...between the Jets and the Canes...it's been like watching the same team twice each weekend.

:puke:

Sorry man. The Canes will still beat BC this year!

Sorry man. The Canes will still beat BC this year!

Just to show you I'm not exaggerating, here's a post from one of the other posters on the CS:

NatKingCANE

Jints suck, life sucks, someone kill me

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:59 pm

My F-YOU list:

COACHES:

Nix(OC) - Playcalling was horrible today...do we ever throw to the RBs? Why was Kirby in the game? I liked the deep throws to the WRs, but those are low percentage throws. Why not use the TEs and RBs to keep the pass defense honest? Why not mix in some more 2back sets? 80 yards passing is an embarrassment.

Walton(DC) - This guy is a joke...as DB coach, was he the driving force behind us emphasizing slower DBs in recruiting? He may or may not be constrained by Shannon...maybe he'd like to mix in some blitzes? Maybe not.

Pannunzio(ST) - What a disgrace to the Italian people...all phases of our special teams have looked like a pile of sh1t since he showed up.

Mosely - Our WRs have not improved. Do any of them fight for the ball in traffic? Do they do a good job blocking downfield in the passing game? Nope.

McGriff - Our DBs are slow and soft by Miami standards, but they look really confused too.

Hurtt - Our DL doesn't fight off blocks and they're very confused by any misdirection.

--I guess I'll give Barrow and Shannon more time. I'm really close to adding Shannon to the list....really close. I watch other games on Saturday, and I see teams that play like violent psychopaths on defense...our kids are so passive and soft.

===============================

:bag:

A really good weekend for the canes, even with their bye.

it all starts with the VA Tech loss. Then, both USC and UiF go down! UNC lost, and if this NCST/UVA score holds, we already control our own destiny in the ACC.

USF and USC losing, and Rutgirls getting buttblasted. All-in-all this is one of the best days of college football in a long while.

I just bought tickets to see my first (and last) game at the O.B.

Which game are you going to? Note the time change for the UVA game.

OB finale will be a night game

The final game played by the University of Miami at the Orange Bowl Nov. 10 against Virginia will be a 7:15 p.m. kickoff carried on either ESPN2 or ESPNU.

• 2 weeks later...

Miami to demolish Orange Bowl (and sell off pieces)

Posted on Thu, Nov. 08, 2007

BY BARRY JACKSON

In a move that's hardly surprising, the city of Miami has decided to demolish the Orange Bowl, a 70-year-old sports cathedral that has staged some of the biggest and most memorable events in South Florida history.

And soon, the public will get a chance to buy pieces of the stadium, even the urinals.

Miami City Manager Pete Hernandez said Thursday that he will recommend the stadium be torn down. The issue will have to go before the Miami City Commission, but Hernandez expects approval.

Hernandez said the demolition likely will occur in March or April, after a yet-to-be hired firm spends several weeks selling off memorabilia from the stadium. The final event at the Orange Bowl will be a high-school football All-Star game, on Jan. 4.

Hernandez said the decision to demolish is being driven largely by the desire to use the land for a retractable-roof ballpark for the Florida Marlins. But Hernandez said demolition is not contingent on striking a deal with the Marlins.

''I can't afford to wait until I have a deal completed on baseball,'' Hernandez said. ``Once we go past our final event on Jan. 4, we need to get it ready hopefully for baseball or something else.''

Hernandez said there is still ''a substantial'' funding gap in the financing plan for a Marlins stadium, but that he is ''optimistic'' a deal will be reached. Hernandez said there would be no ''justification'' to pay for Orange Bowl structural upgrades without a full-time tenant playing there.

The University of Miami will play its final game at the Orange Bowl Saturday against Virginia. Florida International University, which is using the OB this season while its new stadium is constructed, will play three more games there. The FIU-North Texas game Dec. 1 will be the final college game played at the OB.

The city is soliciting offers from companies interested in handling the demolition of the stadium and the sale of memorabilia, said Gilbert Cabrera, Hernandez' chief of staff.

The city also expects parts of the stadium will go on sale to the public in January or February -- including seats and urinals, Cabrera said. Hernandez said that sell-off should generate revenue that will help pay for the demolition, which he estimates will cost between $5 million and $7 million.

UM, which is planning a post-game Orange Bowl ceremony for this weekend's game, has said that anyone who attempts to rush onto the field or take pieces of the stadium on Saturday will be arrested.

Including college football, the Orange Bowl has been hosting 60 to 70 events a year, according to Ileana Gomez, who retired recently after 22 years at the OB, most recently as executive director.

That includes monthly car sales outside the stadium, international soccer games, a few high-school football games a year, about two religious revivals a year, and numerous commercial shoots.

No venue in South Florida -- or in the entire Southeast -- has played host to more big games, big names and memorable moments than the Orange Bowl.

It was within the hallowed confines of the OB where Dan Marino shattered NFL single-season passing records, where the Hurricanes claimed the first, second and fourth of their national titles, where Joe Namath quarterbacked the greatest upset in Super Bowl history, where Lynn Swann secured maybe the greatest catch in Super Bowl history, where errant attempts befell hard-luck Florida State kickers, and where Satchell Paige drew the largest crowd ever to witness a minor-league baseball game.

Five Super Bowls have been played there -- tied with the Rose Bowl for second-most behind the Superdome in New Orleans. The includes Super Bowl III -- the New York Jets' 16-7 win against Baltimore -- which is considered the most famous upset in the game's history.

The Dolphins played their first 21 years at the OB, including the only undefeated season in NFL history (1972) and Dan Marino's record-breaking 48-touchdown masterpiece in 1984, before the team relocated to Dolphin Stadium in 1987.

But so much of the Orange Bowl's history is linked to college football, not only the Canes, but also the Orange Bowl Classic. Fourteen national champions were crowned at the OB before the game relocated to Dolphin Stadium in 1996.

For Hurricanes fans, none of the games at the OB was more meaningful than UM's 31-30 victory against heavily-favored Nebraska in the Jan. 1, 1984 game -- a win that gave the Hurricanes their first national title.

None were more jaw-dropping than Doug Flutie's 46-yard ''Hail Flutie'' pass that landed in the arms of Gerard Phelan and gave Boston College a 47-45 win over the Hurricanes on Nov. 23, 1984, in the most replayed ending in college football history.

But the Orange Bowl's history reaches beyond football. An estimated 57,000 fans -- the largest crowd ever for a minor-league baseball game -- watched 50-year-old Satchel Paige pitch there for the Miami Marlins on Aug. 7, 1956. The minor-league Marl ins played some games there between 1956 and 1960.

The OB has played host to numerous international soccer matches, as well as games in the 1996 Summer Olympics and at least two pro teams -- the NASL's Toros (1972-76) and ASL's Freedom (1988-92).

The stadium hosted the North-South Shrine Game (college football all-star game) for many years and even had the NFL's Pro Bowl once (in 1975).

The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Madonna, the Eagles and Bruce Springsteen all performed in the Orange Bowl. Prince chose the OB as the site for the finale of his celebrated Purple Rain Tour in 1985. But the OB hasn't had a concert since Metallica in 1999 because most headline acts prefer to play in indoor arenas or newer outdoor stadiums.

The Orange Bowl has hosted boxing, wrestling, tractor pulls, even a Canadian Football League exhibition game in 1995 that was intended to gauge Miami's viability for a CFL expansion team. Alas, the crowd disappointed and the CFL never expanded here.

The Orange Bowl wasn't even called the Orange Bowl until 1959. Built for $340,000, it opened in 1937 as Burdine Stadium, named after Roddy Burdine, one of Miami's pioneers. The stadium was christened in Georgia's 26-0 win over the Hurricanes on Dec. 10, 1937. The Orange Bowl Classic began in 1935, but moved to Burdine Stadium in 1938, with Auburn and Michigan State playing before 19,000.

The stadium originally consisted of two sideline lower decks, limiting capacity to 22,000. End zone seats were added in the 1940s, and by the 1950s, there was double-decked seating on both sidelines. At one time, capacity topped 80,000, but has shrunk in recent years to 72,319.

sad to see the last game at the OB, how long are they going be to be stuck at the dolphin stadium? cant wait for next season to see what marve can do, not as highly touted as tebow but broke all of his records. hophfully an upgrade at QB over this year, if we had just an average QB performance in the 3 inconfrence games we lost, we would be 7-2 at worst.

sad to see the last game at the OB, how long are they going be to be stuck at the dolphin stadium? cant wait for next season to see what marve can do, not as highly touted as tebow but broke all of his records. hophfully an upgrade at QB over this year, if we had just an average QB performance in the 3 inconfrence games we lost, we would be 7-2 at worst.

The Hurricanes agreed to a 25-year lease with Dolphin Stadium.

1446066OB1.jpg

At this point, everyone is looking forward to what Marve can do. He has it in his genes since his Dad played in the NFL, so that is something positive. But i am expecting another down year next season, too.

AlienCane wrote:

I don't have any confidence in Shannon either. That doesn't mean I want him fired. He will get his 3 years, probably. That's plenty long enough for him to show something. He showed nothing this year. They are playing worse at the end of the year than at the start. Shannon's not going anywhere, but he better figure out real quick how to build a staff, cause this one isn't getting it done. That's part of his maturation as a HC. Recognize mistakes and fix them. It's fair enough to give him time, but he needs to start providing some evidence that he knows what he is doing. There isn't any yet.

--------------------------------------------------------

That's what I have said about mangini, too. What a sucky football season this has been.

CORAL GABLES - At each home game, potential Miami Hurricanes recruits sit together in the southwest corner of the end zone at the Orange Bowl.

The Hurricanes have 21 commitments for the 2008 season. It has been ranked anywhere from first to sixth among recruiting classes by scouting services, including No. 1 by ESPN.com. Coach Randy Shannon and staff have already hinted they expect immediate contributions next season, but keeping the recruits and landing additional ones will be tough.

A quick surf of the Internet is all that's needed to know the Hurricanes are in for a fight as National Signing Day approaches. The gem of the class is rumored daily to have jumped ship, and a potential commitment ripped into the UM program despite his father being a member of the Hurricanes' 1987 team.

"It's almost like [shannon] has to baby-sit things," Crabtree said.

Ely cornerback Patrick Johnson is regarded as the state's top prospect. He has been linked to Southern California, LSU and recently Georgia. When asked what happens if UM is blown out in its final two games, Johnson takes a deep breath. After a pause to think, he says, "I'm still unchanged."

"I'm 90 percent sure I'm going to Miami," Johnson said. "I really wasn't concerned with [Miami] getting whupped. I was just thinking that I can go in there and make a name for myself."

Quarterback Taylor Cook of Altair High in Texas felt the same. He watched the 48-0 Virginia debacle with his grandparents.

"It was disappointing to see them lose, but it just gives me more incentive to come," Cook said. "We want to help change things."

For the most part, the members of the recruiting class agreed. But a blowout loss in the Hurricanes' Orange Bowl finale may have been a little too much for potential commit Matt Patchan. He left the stadium more disappointed than an angry fan.

Patchan is one of the nation's top offensive lineman recruits at Armwood High in the Tampa area. His father, Matt Sr., is a former Hurricane, so it was understandable why Patchan was so critical in an interview with Rivals.com after the game. He criticized the current players' attitude and work ethic and said "half those guys in Miami uniforms shouldn't be there."

After reading the comments, UM commitment Jordan Futch said Patchan was only speaking the truth.

"They're going to feel disrespected," said Futch, a linebacker who plans to enroll in January after graduating from Chaminade-Madonna. "They probably needed to hear it. I've talked to some of the [current] players and they feel that's the truth, too. You can't get mad at somebody for telling the truth."

Futch said he believes only two commitments are wavering, possibly linebackers Lerentee McCray of Dunnellon and Homestead's Marcus Robinson. If they go elsewhere, Crabtree says it would be a huge blow because linebackers are the strength of the class.

The positive is the six players from top-ranked Miami Northwestern are all but guarantees to become Hurricanes. The group that includes defensive tackle Marcus Forston and receiver Aldarius Johnson are the reason the class is so highly regarded.

The players have even taken the nickname "Shannon's Boys" to show support for their future coach.

"We're the ones that everybody is looking forward to be the new generation out there," Futch said. "We've come out saying we're going to be a family and have no mercy. This recruiting class, we're Shannon's Boys."

UM-BC to play at noon

UM's regular-season finale at Boston College will kick off at noon Nov. 24 and be televised on ESPNU or ESPN2.

Here's another poster talking about the U's coaching; the parallel to the NYJ situation is ironic:

HurricaneHester

Bottom 3% Veteran

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:07 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my problem with the coaches.... coaches are supposed to maximize their talent.

Our coaches are stubborn "mules". I don't give a rat's ass that they don't have the players they want. Other than the quarterback position, where we have total trash to work with, the rest of the team, particularly the defense has some talent, and as has been stated previously ad nauseum by others, we have better talent htan most of the ACC.

Our coaches don't adjust their schemes to fit our talent. Shannon has a bunch of young guys that don't play good read and react defense, can't cover people deep, and he hasn't changed the scheme. Where's Walton hasn't changed the scheme. They haven't played more zone, haven't added more blitzes. They play the same stubborn defense and then blame the players that the players stink. No. It's their fault. As a coach, you are supposed to be able to bring something to the table other than your ability to relate to players and get recruits to play for you. You're supposed to actually have a football mind and able to maximize your talent. We don't have that.

Here's a post from another poster, following today's loss at vt:

gordonsolie

The Goods

$ 377.90

[ Donate ]

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:18 pm Post subject: Our problems on offense are due to our putrid offensive line

------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, Kudos to Kyle Wright. He was a warrior today. He played with a bunch of matadors in front of him disguised as football players.

This program is going absolutely nowhere until we find even average offensive linemen than can both run and pass block.

The run blocking has sucked for the last 3 or 4 years, and the pass blocking, while on occasion OK, has really been downright pathetic.

I don't care if Jacory Harris and Aldarius Johnson are the next coming of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, we aren't going to do ANYTHING offensively until Shannon and Nix realize that the OLine IS THE PROBLEM OFFENSIVELY!!!!!

I've never seen a group of OLinemen constantly pushed back 2 or 3 yards on EVERY running play and a group just get run over time and time again on pass blocking.

Bain, Morse, and Rochford are about the worst set of interior offensive linemen I"ve seen in college football in a long, long, time, and Fox, Rutledge, and Youngblood are slow and lack the technique needed to stop hard rushing defensive ends.

I am not surprised we only rushed for 4 yards today. Against a great VT front 7 and our bad OLine, that was to be expected. And our pass blocking was just horrible.

I feel bad for Kyle Wright. He was sacked 9 times in 2005 in his first start against F$U and I think he's been rattled ever since. And our OLine has really never given him time to throw most of his career.

Patchan is the biggest get in recruiting this year. I hope Washington from MNW is the real deal too. After that, I don't see much of an effort to recruit up front. We should be bringing in 5.

===========================================

LOL at this exchange:

IRememberSchnelly

Bottom 3% Veteran

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:30 pm Post subject: Re: Bowl question

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

carolinacaneman wrote:

If by some miracle Miami beats BC on the road, is there any chance that they could play their bowl game in Charlotte?

You should be concerned with more likely scenarios like getting struck by lightning or your home getting demolished by a meteor.

lol

bc hasnt beaten Miami since the Hail flutie gme. I think that streak is about to come to an end.

Guys, I've been following the Canes for 4 decades now and the problem is simple...the HC and I'll explain why. Not until the Canes hired Schnellenberger did they go from bottom feeders to college football dominance.

It's called name recognition people. And the "named coaches" continued after Howard...now, we have Randy Shannon. Who??? Well, some of us that have followed THE U, know damn well who Randy Shannon is. But, that recruit from Best High School, USA sure as hell doesn't. And with the recent years of garbage football, what young kid wants to spend 4 years here? Oh, we'll still bring in several top notch kids because of the history of this school, but not that bus load we use to get that made this school dominate.

We blew it with the hiring of Shannon....great story, but not someone who is going to bring blue chippers to this school like we did in the 80's and 90's.

When you lose 48-0 in the last game played in the stadium that brought you those college championships, it's time to realize what the real problem is...

• 2 weeks later...

shannon currently has a top 5 recruiting class, and is in the top 3 for the #1 LB in the nation and one of the top 3 OL in the nation. he also cut some players i hear and miami is likley bringing in 30+ freshman next year. if Marve is half as good as i think he is they`ll have an excellent season.

• 2 weeks later...
arthur brown top LB prospect in the nation commits to Miami

That's cool, but i'll wait until NLOI Day when they sign on the dotted line. Although, I heard he will be enrolling and starting classes in a couple of weeks, so it looks good for him being a Cane.

Also, DC Tim Walton has been canned.

Archived